Simplexx 212 build w/ Pics

Post your build odyssey here.
Electric Wisdom

Simplexx 212 build w/ Pics

#1 Post by Electric Wisdom »

Hey!!!!
I'm so excited to start this simplex 212 project, if it goes well i might build another after.
For now i think i will use a mixer, this amp and some bass pedals.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/XLS2502
I just bought the baltic birch 1/2" wood today.
Will post pictures later tonight.
Might ask a few questions too to all of you gurus :)
Thanks for making theses plans!! I can't beleive so many cabs out there not even close to what i need in the low end area.
Let the journey begin!!!!! haha :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

Re: Simplexx 212 build w/ Pics

#2 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

If you're an experienced bass player and have used this type of set up and like it that's fine, but otherwise you're probably better off with a bass amp. There are many out there that don't cost any more than the Crown does.

Electric Wisdom

#3 Post by Electric Wisdom »

So... first thing i'm not sure... what is this circle hole from the simplex 12 build document?
It's the paid plans... i posted a small picture, don't want to post this stuff as free as little as possible, let me know if it's not accepted here.
1.JPG

Electric Wisdom

#4 Post by Electric Wisdom »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:54 pm If you're an experienced bass player and have used this type of set up and like it that's fine, but otherwise you're probably better off with a bass amp. There are many out there that don't cost any more than the Crown does.
Ok but why exactly? (besides pricing)
Edit: i was planning to use a pedal with cab sim out (darkglass omega ultra) as my main sound, in a mixer, in the poweramp

Grant Bunter

#5 Post by Grant Bunter »

Electric Wisdom wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:36 pm So... first thing i'm not sure... what is this circle hole from the simplex 12 build document?
It's the paid plans... i posted a small picture, don't want to post this stuff as free as little as possible, let me know if it's not accepted here.
1.JPG
It's an inductor
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Grant Bunter

#6 Post by Grant Bunter »

Electric Wisdom wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:36 pm
Bill Fitzmaurice wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:54 pm If you're an experienced bass player and have used this type of set up and like it that's fine, but otherwise you're probably better off with a bass amp. There are many out there that don't cost any more than the Crown does.
Ok but why exactly? (besides pricing)
Edit: i was planning to use a pedal with cab sim out (darkglass omega ultra) as my main sound, in a mixer, in the poweramp
Read this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=24638
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Bruce Weldy

#7 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Electric Wisdom wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:37 pm
I'm assuming a small mixer? Not enough EQ available to properly EQ a bass guitar. The center frequencies on a small mixer with 3 band EQ are not at all what you want for bass. That's way more amp than you need too.

Bill is right - buy a good bass amp. Smaller, lighter, plenty of power and will sound better.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Electric Wisdom

#8 Post by Electric Wisdom »

Grant Bunter wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:18 pm
Electric Wisdom wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:36 pm So... first thing i'm not sure... what is this circle hole from the simplex 12 build document?
1.JPG
It's an inductor
Ohhh thanks :) haha

Electric Wisdom

#9 Post by Electric Wisdom »

Bruce Weldy wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:23 pm
Electric Wisdom wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:37 pm
I'm assuming a small mixer? Not enough EQ available to properly EQ a bass guitar. The center frequencies on a small mixer with 3 band EQ are not at all what you want for bass. That's way more amp than you need too.

Bill is right - buy a good bass amp. Smaller, lighter, plenty of power and will sound better.
Small mixer yes but not really for the bass sound, i know theses eq are very very very minimal, i never said i will use eq from the mixer, i will use the eq on the darkglass omega ultra, and also the HPF in the poweramp to remove the very very low end. I'm not really a fan of the distortions in the bass amps besides the tubes ones but i want a small amp this time, and i'm really not a picky guy for the clean sound, i find very attractive the alpha omega and it's cab sim out since this simplex cab isnt voiced and i like that pedal sound, if that make sense?

What amp would you suggest?

I just cutted some parts for the 212, and already i think about building 2 instead of 1 hhahhah, they look a lot bigger in pictures than in real life, i can manage 2 of theses cabs easy haha

Pics soon, my phone is charging up

Electric Wisdom

#10 Post by Electric Wisdom »

Grant Bunter wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:20 pm Read this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=24638
yes i will,

i cant buy easily and quick the same handles as the plans, they seem smaller than all i can get, can i use theses instead?
The ones i see at stores in canada are bigger and i fear they will cause problem because of the thigh space with the inside braces.
695-001.jpg

Electric Wisdom

#11 Post by Electric Wisdom »

Any reason i can't use just 1/4 jacks instead of speakon?
can i use speakon with 1/4, put all of them in parallel and use only 1 of them for input and another to chain another cab in parallel with either the 1/4 or speakon? That would leave possibilities for future cases where speakon or 1/4 arent quickly available...

Electric Wisdom

#12 Post by Electric Wisdom »

So i made this, just wondering if any one can confirm it's good? Please please? haha
If i check the 3d plan they are in parallel, both woofers in parallel, in parallel with the tweeters that are also in parallel, that makes a 8ohm cab ? 8+8 ohm in parallel is 4ohm but i'm not sure how it works with the crossover and the 2 speakon connectors also in parallel
I would think woofers would be in series to get 16 ohm, tweeters too at 16 ohm in series, then tweeters with woofers in parallel to end up at 8ohm?
wiring.JPG

Tom Smit

#13 Post by Tom Smit »

Not quite. Since you are planning to parallel wire the drivers, you need to count them as 4 ohm....each set will be 4 ohm.
TomS

Electric Wisdom

#14 Post by Electric Wisdom »

Tom Smit wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:46 pm Not quite. Since you are planning to parallel wire the drivers, you need to count them as 4 ohm....each set will be 4 ohm.
Ok thanks so that picture i posted is a wiring for 2ohm cabinet right? This is whats by default planned for the 212 simplexx?

Electric Wisdom

#15 Post by Electric Wisdom »

What represent exactly the 4,8,16 ohm title under each tweeter crossovers?
I have to choose the middle one for the tweeter and woofer that i use (which are 8ohm each) ? or does it refer to the cabinet total impedence with the used wiring setup?

Or... since i will wire the 2 tweeters in parallel that makes 4 ohm so i must use the left diagram for the crossover for the tweeters? then same concept for the woofers?
crossver.JPG
Last edited by Electric Wisdom on Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.