TLAH Pro 4x8 plywood?

Post your build odyssey here.
harquahalas

TLAH Pro 4x8 plywood?

#1 Post by harquahalas »

Hi all. Sorry if I'm asking a question that has already been answered. TLAH and plywood are common words that I can't search.

I bought all of the speaker plans so I wouldn't be limited in my options for building a small venue sound system. I wanted to start with the TLAH Pro, but they are 70" tall and birch is 60"x60". I'm in the Phoenix, AZ area and am having a hard time finding a usable furniture grade plywood that is over 70". Wondering if anyone knows a source for bigger plywood at reasonable prices. Another thought would be shortening the cab by 10" somehow. Also, I loke the idea of doing a natural wood finish, so if anyone has suggestions for possibly a solid wood front that won't cost an arm and a leg and still have good acoustics, that would be fantastic!

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions!

Bruce Weldy

Re: TLAH Pro 4x8 plywood?

#2 Post by Bruce Weldy »

harquahalas wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:38 pm am having a hard time finding a usable furniture grade plywood that is over 70".
Stay away from that stuff. You should be able to find Baltic Birch in 4x8 sheets....just have to go to a lumber supplier that sells to cabinet shops.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Grant Bunter

#3 Post by Grant Bunter »

It's critical you understand from the outset that each cab has to be built exactly to plan to get the results!
Follow the plans, don't modify them.

It's not a big deal if all you can get is 5 x 5 BB.
There's a method in the plans to join ply!

Solid timber doesn't introduce acoustic qualities in speaker cabs. Pick something nice that you can work with, as per the dimensions in the plans, that you can afford, and go with it. Solid timber needs to be thicker than ply to avoid cracking and splitting...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

harquahalas

#4 Post by harquahalas »

Thanks for the tips guys. I have found radiata pine at lowes https://www.lowes.com/pd/AC-Plus-23-32- ... 8/50100638
My plans don't mention joining ply and all of my other plans easily fit the 5x5 boards. I don't know what is considered a fair price for birch. The radiata is just under $40 and 5x5 baltic is $30 at lumber place I checked this morning.

Grant Bunter

#5 Post by Grant Bunter »

Is it in your T24 plans under "panel jointing"?

And can you find radiata ply in 5 equal layers/plies, rather than that you listed from Lowes?
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

harquahalas

#6 Post by harquahalas »

Hmm. Looks like my wood search will continue. I looked through the T-24 plans and didn't see panel jointing covered. A 4x8 sheet would be enough for the complete cab, but I don't think a 5x5 would quite cover it. Hopefully when a few more of these lumber places are open during the week, I will be able to find 4x8 ply.

Bruce Weldy

#7 Post by Bruce Weldy »

harquahalas wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:40 pm Hopefully when a few more of these lumber places are open during the week, I will be able to find 4x8 ply.
Any kind of big-box consumer type lumber yard or home center won't have it. You need to find a supplier who sells to cabinet shops. It will probable be a place you've never heard of.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

harquahalas

#8 Post by harquahalas »

How do I find them though? This sounds like it would be the cheapest option as well.

Tom Smit

#9 Post by Tom Smit »

TomS

Strange Kevin

#10 Post by Strange Kevin »

Hey, im a builder in the valey and I get all my BB from Peterman Lumber. I usually get it in 5×5 sheets because it stupid cheep that way. Don't tell anyone here that though, or they will all be jealous!
I believe they cary it in 4×8 as well.

Also, if you like to look of natural BB you can get it in a Clear coat finish from Peaterman too!
Authorized Builder - Phoenix AZ.
Main Rig - 6 DR200s - 6 T48s (30")
SLA Pros for the smaller stuff.

harquahalas

#11 Post by harquahalas »

Awesome Kevin! Thanks so much!

DJPhatman

#12 Post by DJPhatman »

harquahalas wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:38 pm Hi all. Sorry if I'm asking a question that has already been answered. TLAH and plywood are common words that I can't search.

I bought all of the speaker plans so I wouldn't be limited in my options for building a small venue sound system. I wanted to start with the TLAH Pro, but they are 70" tall and birch is 60"x60". I'm in the Phoenix, AZ area and am having a hard time finding a usable furniture grade plywood that is over 70". Wondering if anyone knows a source for bigger plywood at reasonable prices. Another thought would be shortening the cab by 10" somehow. Also, I loke the idea of doing a natural wood finish, so if anyone has suggestions for possibly a solid wood front that won't cost an arm and a leg and still have good acoustics, that would be fantastic!

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions!
Build 2 OTop 12 and 2 3012LF loaded T39 slims. As your gigs get larger, build more of each. We call it "modularity". Power it with an amp with built-in DSP. Or, is this going to be an "in-house" system? If it will be a permanent install, snag a used Behringer DCX-2496 and an "old iron" heavy amp for cheap.

The only reason I want to steer you away from the TLAH Pro is because it's a rather expensive and more complicated build. If you have woodworking chops, change my recommendation to DR250s instead.
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

harquahalas

#13 Post by harquahalas »

Thanks for the tips DJ. Part of my reasoning in doing the TLAH Pro was for the looks and the ability to wall mount and keep space freed up in our not so big room. It will be a permanent setup. The TLAH Pro does get a bit pricey with all those subs though. What are your thoughts on placement? Do you think I will have feedback issues with either the TLAH or DR250 being at the back of the stage with T39 being up front and under the stage, laying on their sides of course. Thanks for the tips!

Bruce Weldy

#14 Post by Bruce Weldy »

harquahalas wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:12 pm Thanks for the tips DJ. Part of my reasoning in doing the TLAH Pro was for the looks and the ability to wall mount and keep space freed up in our not so big room. It will be a permanent setup. The TLAH Pro does get a bit pricey with all those subs though. What are your thoughts on placement? Do you think I will have feedback issues with either the TLAH or DR250 being at the back of the stage with T39 being up front and under the stage, laying on their sides of course. Thanks for the tips!
You will have feedback issues with any PA system behind the microphones. That's not the place to put 'em.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

harquahalas

#15 Post by harquahalas »

Understood Bruce. I thought the TLAH might do ok behind the mics. If I'm going front of stage, the TlAH will be more slender, but taller. I will for sure consider the Omni top or DR250. Would one sound better than the other do you think?