Simplexx 110 Build

Post your build odyssey here.
Das Jugghead

Re: Simplexx 110 Build

#181 Post by Das Jugghead »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:55 pm Glad you got it sorted. This is the modeled low frequency response of the BP102 in red, the Kappa Pro LF in green, both in the ported S10.

The BP102 has higher sensitivity in the midbass. The Kappa Pro can go louder due to more xmax and higher Pe, but only when driven with enough power.
Hey Bill thanks for the response and the graph. At this point I think the power (signal strength) feeding the Carvin is where it needs to be.

I truly appreciate everyone's hands-on availability to answer questions throughout this process of sorting things out. I am very happy with the sound and performance I am getting from these cabinets. Tomorrow is full rehearsal with the band so I will report back on how things go with two guitarists, a drummer, and a singer.

I think something that cannot be said enough in this forum, and should be an automatic sticky first post in any thread created, is that trying to use speakers you already have and finding a cabinet to fit those speakers in - rather than picking the cabinet that suits your needs is putting the cart before the horse and then asking if you can use a team of mice instead. I am guessing I am not the first, nor will I be the last, to make this mistake. To use an astute observation from Bruce Weldy; my process was going left around the block to get to my neighbor on the right. I can assure anyone reading this that it is much more sane and a hell of a lot easier if you just ask questions first, narrow down the choices of what build will best serve your needs, buy the plans and the speakers for your cabinet, and follow the plans. Do not be so arrogant as to believe you will reinvent the wheel that Bill has already figured out - unless you have money to throw away in which case my direct deposit information is available upon request.

Tom Smit

#182 Post by Tom Smit »

Well said, Das Jugghead.
Good to hear that they are working as expected.
TomS

Grant Bunter

#183 Post by Grant Bunter »

Das Jugghead wrote: Hey Bill thanks for the response and the graph. At this point I think the power (signal strength) feeding the Carvin is where it needs to be.

I truly appreciate everyone's hands-on availability to answer questions throughout this process of sorting things out. I am very happy with the sound and performance I am getting from these cabinets. Tomorrow is full rehearsal with the band so I will report back on how things go with two guitarists, a drummer, and a singer.
I have been watching this thread right the way through, and all credit to you.
You've asked good questions, run with it, and are ready for the final analysis.
Good on you and well done!
Das Jugghead wrote:I think something that cannot be said enough in this forum, and should be an automatic sticky first post in any thread created, is that trying to use speakers you already have and finding a cabinet to fit those speakers in - rather than picking the cabinet that suits your needs is putting the cart before the horse and then asking if you can use a team of mice instead. I am guessing I am not the first, nor will I be the last, to make this mistake. To use an astute observation from Bruce Weldy; my process was going left around the block to get to my neighbor on the right. I can assure anyone reading this that it is much more sane and a hell of a lot easier if you just ask questions first, narrow down the choices of what build will best serve your needs, buy the plans and the speakers for your cabinet, and follow the plans. Do not be so arrogant as to believe you will reinvent the wheel that Bill has already figured out - unless you have money to throw away in which case my direct deposit information is available upon request.
Funny you say that.
There's a section i the forum called, wait for it, "Got a question? Look here first! Really! We're Not Kidding!"
In that section is this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=276

Read it now, if you hadn't already.
You might get a bit of a chuckle from it now...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Askia

#184 Post by Askia »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:55 pm Glad you got it sorted. This is the modeled low frequency response of the BP102 in red, the Kappa Pro LF in green, both in the ported S10.

The BP102 has higher sensitivity in the midbass. The Kappa Pro can go louder due to more xmax and higher Pe, but only when driven with enough power.
Well, according to this, guessing a speaker by its chart can be completely misleading.
By just looking the chart I would say the BP102 would be better for bass, as it's better in the bass range than the Kappa Pro, but the real life experience is just the opposite. You have to check other details as well, or have to experience it! :)

Das Jugghead

#185 Post by Das Jugghead »

It has been a few hours since my last round of pestering so I figure the agitation clock can be reset for the next round of questions. If these questions are answered elsewhere please point me in the right direction and I will read up and return here with more informed questions. So in no particular order but all things rattling around in my head like a pea in a box car:

Is it better to have the cabinets on the floor or up on a box such as a rolling road case? What are the advantages and disadvantages from a sonic perspective?

Is "coupling" a good thing or is it a bad thing? I have read conflicting positions and return here to where I can trust the answers.

If I were to make a road case to house the 110 cabinets and used that as a speaker stand would that be a good idea? Would the empty road case act like an echo chamber or would it not factor into the overall sound picture?

I am not interested in tilting the cabinets back to angle up at me for a couple of reasons. Primarily because soundmen hate when bass reflects off the ceiling of the stage area and wreaks havoc with the FOH but also because on the occasions I have tried this I have found that there is a very narrow alley of bass sound that I have to stand in to hear myself. Yet another reason is the amount of thought and work that went into the wraps for the visual effect when the cabinets are stacked was substantial. I plan to have the cabinets pointed across the stage angled slightly toward the drummer so that I can hear myself pretty much anywhere on the stage. My goal is to control stage volume. The days of ears ringing for days after a show are long gone for me and with lower stage volumes the FOH has a much easier job of making us sound good for the entire reason we are there - the audience.

Thank you again in advance both for your patience and advice.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#186 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Put them on something that gets the driver in the top cab close to ear level. Cases will work just fine. I'm not sure what you mean by coupling, but if it's mechanical coupling there's no such thing. viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19112

Das Jugghead

#187 Post by Das Jugghead »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:40 pm Put them on something that gets the driver in the top cab close to ear level. Cases will work just fine. I'm not sure what you mean by coupling, but if it's mechanical coupling there's no such thing. viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19112
Outstanding. Thank you for the link and for taking the time to run the tests. I am going to start scribbling some design ideas for a stand to get the cabinets up to ear level.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#188 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

When you lift them there will be the impression that the lows aren't as strong, but what's actually happening is that you can hear the mids and highs better. For there to be an actual loss of deep lows the bottom cab would have to be at least 6 feet off the floor.

Das Jugghead

#189 Post by Das Jugghead »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:42 pm When you lift them there will be the impression that the lows aren't as strong, but what's actually happening is that you can hear the mids and highs better. For there to be an actual loss of deep lows the bottom cab would have to be at least 6 feet off the floor.
Good to know - thank you. I would have never known this had you not shared this information.

I will post up design ideas for a cabinet stand when I narrow them down and hopefully the members here will chime in with suggestions, critiques, and questions.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#190 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

I'd do something that continues the theme of the wrapping on the cabs.

Das Jugghead

#191 Post by Das Jugghead »

Grant Bunter wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:10 am
Funny you say that.
There's a section i the forum called, wait for it, "Got a question? Look here first! Really! We're Not Kidding!"
In that section is this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=276

Read it now, if you hadn't already.
You might get a bit of a chuckle from it now...
I did get a chuckle from that. Too bad I did not exercise due diligence by reading that. I suspect plenty of newbies make the mistake I did and was just wondering if there is a way to make that post a little more prominent. Perhaps that specific link could be sent to each new member when they join?

At any rate I am quite pleased with where I have ended up despite how difficult I made the journey. I can hardly wait to gig these cabinets.

Das Jugghead

#192 Post by Das Jugghead »

Yesterday was full rehearsal with the band for the first hour and we auditioned singer for the second hour. I was able to hold my own against two guitarists and the drummer with ease. The lead guitarist, with whom I have played in bands since the late eighties, said my bass sounded the best it has ever sounded. The rhythm guitarist complimented me (I think) saying that he had no idea bass could sound so good.

Tom Smit

#193 Post by Tom Smit »

:hyper: :clap:
TomS

Das Jugghead

#194 Post by Das Jugghead »

Discovered some air leaking out of the jack plates where the Speakon connectors are screwed to the jack plates. Going to see about sealing those up. The speaker jack plates are recessed plastic plates so I am wondering if hot glue it the best approach or if I can use the all amazing PL. Any thoughts from the members here?

Still LOVING these cabinets The band is very pleased with the bass department now and I am tickled at how easy it is to move my rig. These Simplexx cabinets blow anything I have ever played before out of the water in terms of clarity and sound. My bass sound is so much cleaner, mistakes much more glaring, harmonics are solid - just so pleased I have worn my fingertips tender because I simply cannot leave the rig alone. I play every chance I get. In looking at the Jack series and comparing performance quotients I am afraid I shall have to build a pair of Jack 12 cabinets to take it to the next level.

Thanks again to all the members here who have dispensed patient advice along the way and thanks to Bill for making these plans available in the first place.
Last edited by Das Jugghead on Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tom Smit

#195 Post by Tom Smit »

Das Jugghead wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:50 pm Discovered some air leaking out of the jack plates where the Speakon connectors are screwed to the jack plates. Going to see about sealing those up. The speaker jack plates are recessed plastic plates so I am wondering if hot glue it the best approach or if I can use the all amazing PL. Any thoughts from the members here?
I would use hot glue since it is somewhat reversible if one ever needs to remove the connector. It is easier to apply, and ready sooner. :clap:
TomS