Simplexx 110 Build

Post your build odyssey here.
Das Jugghead

Re: Simplexx 110 Build

#61 Post by Das Jugghead »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:It's true that with an inch of clearance that a metal grille's effect will be lessened, possibly eliminated, but as soon as I say 'it's OK to use a metal grille' someone will mount one tight to the baffle, mess up the tuning, and blame the design. Besides, what happens when a grille is placed close to a speaker is something else entirely.
Thanks Bill I really appreciate the patient feedback.

As an update the cabinets were dropped off with Colorship Media yesterday where the wraps will be designed and applied. We have decided to go with a grill clothe that will probably incorporate a design to compliment the design on the wraps. I am really looking forward to getting these back and trying them out. In all likelihood it will be the first part of January before I have them back - I am telling myself it will be a delayed Christmas gift.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#62 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

After thinking about it I looked at the sketchup model, which I probably haven't done for a year or more, and I do have metal grilles shown on some of the cabs, mounted on 3/4 inch long standoffs. It's mentioned in the plans too, which I also probably haven't looked at for a year or more. That's my excuse, what's yours? :slap:

Das Jugghead

#63 Post by Das Jugghead »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:After thinking about it I looked at the sketchup model, which I probably haven't done for a year or more, and I do have metal grilles shown on some of the cabs, mounted on 3/4 inch long standoffs. It's mentioned in the plans too, which I also probably haven't looked at for a year or more. That's my excuse, what's yours? :slap:
I really don't have an excuse.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#64 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Das Jugghead wrote: I really don't have an excuse.
You must be married. :lol:

Das Jugghead

#65 Post by Das Jugghead »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:49 pm
Das Jugghead wrote: I really don't have an excuse.
You must be married. :lol:
This is true

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#66 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Ponder this: If a man walking through the woods says something, and there's no woman there to hear him, is he still wrong? :)

Das Jugghead

#67 Post by Das Jugghead »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:57 am Ponder this: If a man walking through the woods says something, and there's no woman there to hear him, is he still wrong? :)
Hold on while I ask my wife . . . .

Tom Smit

#68 Post by Tom Smit »

:loler:
TomS

Das Jugghead

#69 Post by Das Jugghead »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:57 am Ponder this: If a man walking through the woods says something, and there's no woman there to hear him, is he still wrong? :)
Das Jugghead wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:18 am
Hold on while I ask my wife . . . .
Tom Smit wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:00 pm:loler:
My wife said the question is irrelevant because no man has ever been right

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#70 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

I was wrong when I asked my wife to marry me. :bash:

Padde298

#71 Post by Padde298 »

+1 :cussing: :cussing: :cussing:
More bass, more bass! :chainsaw: :chainsaw:

2 x TAT

Das Jugghead

#72 Post by Das Jugghead »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:19 pm I was wrong when I asked my wife to marry me. :bash:
She said yes - she must have seen something right.

Found out today that I have ripped one of the tendons or ligaments that connects the fingers in my left hand to one of the bones in my wrist. Looks like it is going to be a minute before I can test out the cabinets when I get them back. The only good thing is that at this time we do not think it is not a complete tear and so will hopefully heal without surgery. I will find out more next week after being examined by the doctors at the Indiana Hand to Shoulder Center. Pretty bummed as my best friend and I have been interviewing and auditioning musicians since February and having finally put the right group of guys together we were scheduled live rehearsals for the first week of January.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#73 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

I had a fight with a 3" raised panel router bit, which the bit won, taking off the tip of the ring finger on my left hand. It cost me the ability to play guitar, but no biggy, I was never that good a guitar player anyway. We had a major gig 3 weeks later, so I had to play bass using only my first two fingers. I managed. When the ripped up finger was finally healed it didn't work right anymore, so what I used to fret with that finger I had to learn to fret with my pinky. You'd be surprised what you can do when you have to.

Das Jugghead

#74 Post by Das Jugghead »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:37 pm I had a fight with a 3" raised panel router bit, which the bit won, taking off the tip of the ring finger on my left hand. It cost me the ability to play guitar, but no biggy, I was never that good a guitar player anyway. We had a major gig 3 weeks later, so I had to play bass using only my first two fingers. I managed. When the ripped up finger was finally healed it didn't work right anymore, so what I used to fret with that finger I had to learn to fret with my pinky. You'd be surprised what you can do when you have to.
That's some serious business there. Using a table saw to cut wood for a pedal board I was making I put a nice groove in the tip of my ring finger two weeks before auditioning for a local cover band. My wife works in wound care and we were very fortunate to have access to an amazing product that assisted with regrowing the tip of my finger. I auditioned with my finger bandaged up and bleeding through the dressing. Although it is completely healed up it still feels "weird." I got the gig but wound up getting fired a month into it for being "too professional" which translates to being sober, not using drugs, learning the entire set-list, and showing up early for rehearsals.
IMG_5628.jpg
IMG_5719.jpg

madmallard

#75 Post by madmallard »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:37 pm When the ripped up finger was finally healed it didn't work right anymore, so what I used to fret with that finger I had to learn to fret with my pinky. You'd be surprised what you can do when you have to.
isn't that how Clapton plays?