24" THTLP from flat pack

Post your build odyssey here.
MA043HA

Re: 24" THTLP from flat pack

#16 Post by MA043HA »

Thanks Tom. I think I understand what you're suggesting. The box like structure is the extender and the red lines are the clamps. Also the clarification to just fasten down one side of the last panel - the side opposite where I'm attaching the clamps I assume - is very helpful. I'll try this soon.

Tom Smit

#17 Post by Tom Smit »

Yes.
And, yes. Start fastening where the most panels are, and finish near the mouth.
TomS

MA043HA

#18 Post by MA043HA »

Well, I rigged up a clamp extender and pulled the box most of the way into alignment at the driver end corner but it threw the rest of the alignment off so much that I decided not to use the extender and just cut off the 3/8" section with the circular saw/sled.
clampExtender.jpg
One thing puzzles me. I've rimmed the driver chamber with 1" strips of plywood after looking at the SketchUp file carefully. I positioned the strips with the 1" width along the length of the cabinet and the 1/2" end grain of the plywood aligned with the end grain of the panels. I can see how this makes a wider 1" flange for the cover to screw into, but, I don't understand why the end grain is what the cover screws are expected to bite into and hold. Wouldn't it be better to face the strips at right angles and have the cover screw into the layers of plywood not the end grain?

LelandCrooks

#19 Post by LelandCrooks »

Drill pilot holes. Stacked and glued well it doesn't split like if you were just driving into one. But into the side would be better.
If it's too loud, you're even older than me! Like me.
http://www.speakerhardware.com

MA043HA

#20 Post by MA043HA »

Made good progress today. Installed driver chamber braces, cut a rectangular terminal cup hole, installed the chamber cover braces, and cut the panel 8 overhang. Getting this beast off the bench and standing it up makes me realize just how big and heavy it is even without the driver installed! The driver is in the basement hooked to a laptop/tone generator and the 200w monoblock amp that will drive the finished system. I'm running some overnight break in at 20Hz. Getting pretty excited about being so close to FEELING THE POWER!
CoverBraces.jpg
StandingTallPanel8Cut.jpg

MA043HA

#21 Post by MA043HA »

Think I got the driver seal right. Installed the big Dayton today and just connected what I was already listening to - Anthony Jackson's Interspirit. Wow, what a way to start! Even without the cover on and too few minutes of the opening tune the power and clarity of Jackson's bass and Dave Weckl's drums were very promising. So far no leaks when checking with the tubing/stethoscope method. As to using screws to secure the driver rather than bolts and nuts I don't have much point of comparison, but, snugging down the screws into their existing holes with the square driver and a ratcheting screwdriver in a star pattern was very reassuring as to how they all bit into the wood and compressed the rubber like gasket on their side of the driver. Anything can loosen and back out I suppose but they feel good, so with no lock washers under the heads and nothing on the threads we'll see how they hold.
LitChamber.jpg
RawDriverSeat.jpg
ChalkingBead.jpg
ChalkingSmoothedHolesMarked.jpg
FoamGasket.jpg

LelandCrooks

#22 Post by LelandCrooks »

The recex thread has a very slight serration. They won't back out. :mrgreen:

MA043HA

#23 Post by MA043HA »

Buttoned it up tonight. No leaks found. It's amazing how much low bass there is on good recordings even of solo piano (e.g. George Winston's Summer)
Cover1.jpg
Terminals.jpg

MA043HA

#24 Post by MA043HA »

I saw a mouse running around the garage last night. I'm concerned they may nest in the horn. That's what happened to my DTS10 when I left the mouth uncovered and they ruined the drivers. Anyone suggest a way to rodent proof my new creation?

Tom Smit

#25 Post by Tom Smit »

Take the THT out of the garage?

(runs and ducks for cover)
TomS

Ryan Sober

#26 Post by Ryan Sober »

MA043HA wrote:I saw a mouse running around the garage last night. I'm concerned they may nest in the horn. That's what happened to my DTS10 when I left the mouth uncovered and they ruined the drivers. Anyone suggest a way to rodent proof my new creation?
My buddy left a TTLS standing vertical in his garage.

We dumped about 4 mouse corpses out of it a few months later.

It smelled awful.

MA043HA

#27 Post by MA043HA »

Tom Smit wrote:Take the THT out of the garage?

(runs and ducks for cover)
What a great idea! That was my goal anywho. Finally got my new coffee table.
BareNekkidAddition2.jpg
BareNekkidAddition3.jpg
BareNekkidAddition.jpg

Tom Smit

#28 Post by Tom Smit »

Oopsies. Better hurry and get it coated 'cuz it's going to be quite tempting to leave it there in the living room.
TomS

LelandCrooks

#29 Post by LelandCrooks »

Looks good!

MA043HA

#30 Post by MA043HA »

As the plans say: "An easy finish is a sheet or other piece of cloth draped over the box..."
Draped.jpg
Stapled.jpg
Wrapped.jpg
LessReflective.jpg
KittyLikesIt.jpg