4 Tuba 30 Built

Post your build odyssey here.
Fresh101

4 Tuba 30 Built

#1 Post by Fresh101 »

Hello everyone, I have been in this site for sometime, I have bought a few plans but never got to start making any of them. Now as the holidays are around the corner, I have decided to build 4x Tuba 30 approx. 24" wide. I have read the plans a few time and I am confused or do not know how to brake in the sub or how to do the excursion test, mounted to the baffle panel to confirm that it does not touch/strike the rim of the panel. Can someone tell me or direct me to a link of the easiest way to accomplish this (breaking in process and to force the sub to expand to do the baffle strike test) and can this be accomplished with stuff available around the house or will I need to go out and buy stuff just for the purpose? Thanks in advance

Best Regards,
Ralph

Grant Bunter

Re: 4 Tuba 30 Built

#2 Post by Grant Bunter »

There is no direct link as such.
All the information is in the plans.

What you need is:
An amplifier.
A multimeter set on 200V AC
A computer, or some other means to play a test tone.

You can download a tone generator onto your computer/laptop. You can download Audacity too. It has a section in it that produces test tones.

To test for driver clearance, cut the hole in the baffle, mount the driver, play the test tone as per the plans, see if you hear any other noise than the test tone. If the surround is hitting the baffle it sounds like, well, paper hitting wood, but quickly.
If you hear that (it's called slap), then your baffle hole is not quite large enough. Fix that by making the hole slightly larger where the driver surround is hitting the baffle.

Breaking in a driver is a similar process, set it up as per the plans, and let the tone play for about 12 hours. If your driver has a vent or hole on the back, do not allow that hole to be blocked.

Hope this helps...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Fresh101

#3 Post by Fresh101 »

Ok thank you Grant, I do have the amp and the multimeter but can I use "online tone generator" like this: http://plasticity.szynalski.com/tone-generator.htm or does it have to be a software? Thanks again

Grant Bunter

#4 Post by Grant Bunter »

Fresh101 wrote:Ok thank you Grant, I do have the amp and the multimeter but can I use "online tone generator" like this: http://plasticity.szynalski.com/tone-generator.htm or does it have to be a software? Thanks again
Whatever works for you is fine :)

If you can guarantee internet access for 12 hours, go for it...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

DJPhatman

#5 Post by DJPhatman »

Grant Bunter wrote:
Fresh101 wrote:Ok thank you Grant, I do have the amp and the multimeter but can I use "online tone generator" like this: http://plasticity.szynalski.com/tone-generator.htm or does it have to be a software? Thanks again

And your computer sound card is capable of reproducing 20Hz. Not all sound cards will. Also make sure the amp does not have a low cut filter by reading the specs.

play a 20Hz sine wave at 10 volts for 12-24 hours. Hang the driver with bungee cords in free air for the least amount of "noise".
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

Fresh101

#6 Post by Fresh101 »

DJPhatman wrote:
Grant Bunter wrote:

Okay thank you

And your computer sound card is capable of reproducing 20Hz. Not all sound cards will. Also make sure the amp does not have a low cut filter by reading the specs.

play a 20Hz sine wave at 10 volts for 12-24 hours. Hang the driver with bungee cords in free air for the least amount of "noise".
Hello DJ Phatman, how will I know if the sound card of my laptop can produce 20hz sound or can I just run it thru my DJ controller? Vestax VCI-300 Controller, Toshiba Satellite P775-S7215 laptop and a Mac Mini 2014 model. Thanks again

Fresh101

#7 Post by Fresh101 »

Grant Bunter wrote:

Thanks

DJPhatman

#8 Post by DJPhatman »

Fresh101 wrote:
DJPhatman wrote: And your computer sound card is capable of reproducing 20Hz. Not all sound cards will. Also make sure the amp does not have a low cut filter by reading the specs.

Hello DJ Phatman, how will I know if the sound card of my laptop can produce 20hz sound or can I just run it thru my DJ controller? Vestax VCI-300 Controller, Toshiba Satellite P775-S7215 laptop and a Mac Mini 2014 model. Thanks again
The Mac Mini, yes, if you use the digital audio output. The Toshiba, not the built-in sound card. The Vestax I can't find any solid specs on. Back in the dark ages, I burned the tone to a CD and put the CD played on endless loop.
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

Fresh101

#9 Post by Fresh101 »

DJPhatman wrote:
Fresh101 wrote:
DJPhatman wrote: And your computer sound card is capable of reproducing 20Hz. Not all sound cards will. Also make sure the amp does not have a low cut filter by reading the specs.

The Mac Mini, yes, if you use the digital audio output. The Toshiba, not the built-in sound card. The Vestax I can't find any solid specs on. Back in the dark ages, I burned the tone to a CD and put the CD played on endless loop.
Thanks alot DJPhatman, to be sure I will go with the Mac Mini using digital audio output. Why you burn the tune instead of running it directly from the PC? Thanks again

DJPhatman

#10 Post by DJPhatman »

Fresh101 wrote:Why you burn the tune instead of running it directly from the PC?
Because, at that time, I was still DJing using CDs and even cassette tapes! I told you, dark ages! LOL!

CoronaOperator

#11 Post by CoronaOperator »

DJPhatman wrote: and even cassette tapes!

You kids and your fancy new technology:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZbfLPrnesE
DJPhatman wrote:I told you, dark ages! LOL!
Back in my day, we mixed by moving the chairs around on stage under candlelight!
Built:
17" width 10" driver Autotuba
2 x 29" width dual Lab12 Tuba60
6 x DR250 2510/asd1001
In progress:
2 x DR250 2510/asd1001
For best results, point the loud end of the array towards the audience