Yep....it's a guitar cab

Post your build odyssey here.
Bruce Weldy

Re: Yep....it's a guitar cab

#16 Post by Bruce Weldy »

This will complete the build thread.....at least for the first cab. As mentioned, I didn't have enough druatex to finsh both. In fact, I didn't have enough to put a coat on the bottom, so next week I'll get this on back and re-coat the whole thing with that special Leland ("I'm not a Crooks!" - Nixon) duratex.

Ok, on with the story......

When last we left our hero, he......oh wait....wrong story.

Ok, I put some duratex on .... yawn...
IMG_1495.JPG
Now, for some mattress topper in case I ever want to turn this into a very small bed....or a safe room for an insane rat in a straight jacket.
IMG_1496.JPG
Time for a commercial break brought to you by Bruce's Helpful Hints....

Have you ever worried about sticking that screwdriver right though that speaker cone? Have you actually ever done it? Well, Ronco proudly introduces the SPEAKER SAVER!
IMG_1497.JPG
While it may look like the plywood cutouts from a speaker baffle just laid on top of the speakers - it's really a laminated disc make from only the best naturally-grown wood products.

Now for another helpful hint. Don't buy crappy, cheap mic cables! This piece of junk in the picture came from a friend who asked me to cut down some long cables into short ones. Not only were the connectors absolute crap, but the cable had horrible shielding and the leads were 24ga at best and were as floppy as grandpa's .....well, you know.
IMG_1498.JPG
On with the story....

After building the grill frame and painting it black, I stretched some nice, Fender-looking cloth over it and voila!.....we're done.
IMG_1500.JPG

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Bruce Weldy

#17 Post by Bruce Weldy »

A couple more shots...
IMG_1501.JPG
IMG_1502.JPG

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Dale Hammer

#18 Post by Dale Hammer »

Excellent work on the grill cloth.

squiers007

#19 Post by squiers007 »

Looks great Bruce!

Just because I'm curious... what speakers did you load it with?

Bruce Weldy

#20 Post by Bruce Weldy »

squiers007 wrote:Looks great Bruce!

Just because I'm curious... what speakers did you load it with?
The one pictured is for another player. He gave me a couple of old speakers...they look to be eminence.

I bought a pair of Eminence Legends (16 ohm) for mine.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

jimbo7

#21 Post by jimbo7 »

I'm getting ready to make another 212, only this time the top will be as deep as the bottom (a box with the slanted baffle). I'm pretty sure someone's done it before, but are they any ill-effects to this?
BFM builds:
XF212
T24 BP102 24"
2x SLA's 6-5" mids, 9- gt-302's
2x AT 14" MCM 55-2421
TrT 5" MCM 55-2421
AT 18" JBL GTO804
2x OT12 flat array
2x SLA Pro 2-Alpha 6's 2-Goldwoods
2x T39 24" 3012lf
Simplex 10 BP102

Bbr6704

#22 Post by Bbr6704 »

Hey Jimbo, that's exactly what I'm doing here!...

If you're not in a hurry, you can follow my build here : http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewt ... 59#p259359

As far as I know, you can lose a little bit of the vertical dispersion of the sound, because of the top, but I think I've read somewhere in this forum that it's not that far from the original design...

Oh, and of course, very beautifull job Bruce, very nice! I hope mine's gonna turn this good...

Bruce Weldy

#23 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Well, the verdict is in. I delivered the cab to the guitar player in the band I was mixing tonight. He loved it. He's a happy camper.....he felt that is was very efficient and his amp was set lower than he usually has it with his 2x12..

Of course, part of that may be the angle baffle directing the sound towards his ear instead of his thighs.

I'm looking forward to getting to try mine out as soon as I finish it......duratex came in today...thanks Leland for getting it out so quick.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

NukePooch

#24 Post by NukePooch »

Bruce Weldy wrote:Well, the verdict is in. I delivered the cab to the guitar player in the band I was mixing tonight. He loved it. He's a happy camper.....he felt that is was very efficient and his amp was set lower than he usually has it with his 2x12..

More to the point, were you able to tolerate him or did you roll your eyes, mute his channel, and head to the bar?

Awesome job...really clean factory look.
I haven't touched a guitar in years, but it makes me want to build one...
Built:
4 Jack 112L- 3012HO, melded array
17.5 wide AutoTuba with Infinity 860w
6 Wedgehorn W6 w/ Panel Mount Piezos
2 T48 Slims (15" wide) with 3012LF
4 T48 Fattys (32" wide) with 3015LF

Bruce Weldy

#25 Post by Bruce Weldy »

NukePooch wrote:
Bruce Weldy wrote:Well, the verdict is in. I delivered the cab to the guitar player in the band I was mixing tonight. He loved it. He's a happy camper.....he felt that is was very efficient and his amp was set lower than he usually has it with his 2x12..

More to the point, were you able to tolerate him or did you roll your eyes, mute his channel, and head to the bar?

Awesome job...really clean factory look.
I haven't touched a guitar in years, but it makes me want to build one...

:mrgreen: Oh, I always tolerate him - he's an amazing player, one of the best in this area.

Right as we were getting ready to leave last night, he said, "You are a cabinet building sonofabitch." Not sure what that makes Bill......

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#26 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Bruce Weldy wrote: Right as we were getting ready to leave last night, he said, "You are a cabinet building sonofabitch." Not sure what that makes Bill......
Isn't that pronounced 'sumbeach' in Texican? :mrgreen:

Bruce Weldy

#27 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:
Bruce Weldy wrote: Right as we were getting ready to leave last night, he said, "You are a cabinet building sonofabitch." Not sure what that makes Bill......
Isn't that pronounced 'sumbeach' in Texican? :mrgreen:

You are correct sir, but I thought I should translate for the yankees..... :cowboy:

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#28 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

I once played a gig in Houston, kept hearing guys in the audience saying 'sumbeech'. I thought they must have been talking about Daytona. :noob:

Bruce Weldy

#29 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:I once played a gig in Houston, kept hearing guys in the audience saying 'sumbeech'. I thought they must have been talking about Daytona. :noob:
Yep, we talks a wee bit dif'ernt than you'uns.

My daughter married a guy who grew up in White Plains, but his family was from N'hamsha.

His sister is named Marcia.....they pronounce it Masher.

I'm sure some of you used to watch the New Yankee Workshop....that's the show that really got me into wookworking. In the very early years, Norm Abram would say airier (area), sawr (saw), mauwtice (mortise). Over the years, he really lost a lot of the Boston/New England accent.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

squiers007

#30 Post by squiers007 »

Being a Yankee (Iowan) that now lives in Texas I'd just like to say that all of the above is completely correct and hilarious! :loler: :clap: