SLA Pro Shorty (2x6) Build (Lots of Pictures)

Post your build odyssey here.
J_Dunavin

Re: SLA Pro Shorty (2x6) Build (Lots of Pictures)

#16 Post by J_Dunavin »

looks good !
2 - OTop8
2 - T39
8 - DR200
2 - DR250
9 - T24
6 - T45
1 - Auto Tuba

Guitbusy

#17 Post by Guitbusy »

Thanks, they definitely sound good. I am building a Tuba 24 to enhance the low end with them.
1 x Tuba 24 (24"x24"x24")
2 x Wedgehorn 6
2 x SLA Pro Shorty (2x6)

kenkenni

#18 Post by kenkenni »

Man you did that quick. It took me like four months or more. I also had the screwdriver slip
and put a little tiny nick in the speaker foam. I just used a tiny piece of electric tape which
you can barely see unless you was looking really hard. No effect on performance though even
at high volume.

Guitbusy

#19 Post by Guitbusy »

It took me a few weeks at least, I just saved the build thread until I was fairly complete with the speakers. I hate it when people start a build thread and then it fades away after the first couple posts. I wanted to make sure I got all the way through so I waited until the end to post the pictures.
2 x Wedgehorn 6
2 x SLA Pro Shorty (2x6)

Guitbusy

#20 Post by Guitbusy »

A few things that I learned that may help others.
  • Know the plans well, it is easy to make slight adjustments if things need it
    Duratex is awesome, I wouldn't think of using anything else to cover
    Duratex doesn't cover quite as much as I thought, I need to do a little better job sanding/filling but it is fairly forgiving
    Baltic Birch is awesome to work with. Would like to try the Arauco from Menards, but man BB is so nice to work with
    Measure, measure, measure and double check with the plans, then cut
    Be aware of where your screwdriver may end up, at all times. Especially around speakers.
That is it for now. I think this thread is fairly complete as the pictures tell most of the story, but I can answer any questions in the future if people have them. Thanks for making it this far. :wink:
2 x Wedgehorn 6
2 x SLA Pro Shorty (2x6)

Bruce Weldy

#21 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Guitbusy wrote: Duratex doesn't cover quite as much as I thought, I need to do a little better job sanding/filling but it is fairly forgiving
I betting that you didn't prime the cabs with flat black paint first. I find the coverage of duratex to be amazing. Two coats on top of two coats of flat black make it go a long way.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Guitbusy

#22 Post by Guitbusy »

Bruce Weldy wrote:
Guitbusy wrote: Duratex doesn't cover quite as much as I thought, I need to do a little better job sanding/filling but it is fairly forgiving
I betting that you didn't prime the cabs with flat black paint first. I find the coverage of duratex to be amazing. Two coats on top of two coats of flat black make it go a long way.
I should have been more clear. I too, find the coverage amazing. What I meant was I didn't sand some things as level as I should have, and didn't fill things as well as I should have, thinking that Duratex would fill in more than it does. It definitely doesn't need to be smooth, just more flat, if that makes sense.
2 x Wedgehorn 6
2 x SLA Pro Shorty (2x6)

Bruce Weldy

#23 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Guitbusy wrote:
Bruce Weldy wrote:
I should have been more clear. I too, find the coverage amazing. What I meant was I didn't sand some things as level as I should have, and didn't fill things as well as I should have, thinking that Duratex would fill in more than it does. It definitely doesn't need to be smooth, just more flat, if that makes sense.

Yep, it will cover little depressions from nail holes, etc, but ridges and gaps will show. I try to really put on a lot of primer in those places to fill 'em up.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

johns811

#24 Post by johns811 »

I slipped with the screw driver on the SLA and did the same thing, super glue fixed it perfectly!

Guitbusy

#25 Post by Guitbusy »

I created a thread to see how bad I screwed up (down actually) and get some fix suggestions. http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewt ... =7&t=23180 One of the suggestions was for Aleene's Tacky Glue, and we happened to have some around the houe. I used that and it has worked great. Unnoticeable.
Attachments
aleenes.jpg
2 x Wedgehorn 6
2 x SLA Pro Shorty (2x6)

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#26 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Guitbusy wrote:I created a thread to see how bad I screwed up (down actually) and get some fix suggestions. http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewt ... =7&t=23180 One of the suggestions was for Aleene's Tacky Glue, and we happened to have some around the houe. I used that and it has worked great. Unnoticeable.
+1. Superglue doesn't stay flexible.