AT 18" JBL GTO804
2x OT12 flat array
2x SLA Pro 2-Alpha 6's 2-Goldwoods
2x T39 24" 3012lf
Simplex 10 BP102

howiez

Re: CollegeTuba (TruckTuba with extras)

#17 Post by howiez »

I can comfortably say it sounds awesome in a dorm room. He has his PS4 connected via HDMI to the Magnavox TV, and then it's audio out to the main RCA inputs on the LePai 2.1 amp. We listened to a few minutes of him playing Destiny on PS4 and the explosions are deep and full. Then he spun a few EDM tracks from his android phone via the 1/8 input jack on the front of the LePai. The independant sub volume on the LePai is barely above zero and this thing is loud and clean. My wife said far too much bass, is that even possible? She predicts either the pre-school RA party will be in his room, or he'll be kicked out for being too loud. Either way he liked it so much he sent his Bose portable home with us. Last year he preferred that over the KLH 2.1 sub/sat system powered by an old Onkyo receiver. Now if i can find a cheap bluetooth to 1/8 headphone jack solution, he can be wireless as well.

johns811

#18 Post by johns811 »

What kind of cross over did you use for the L/R speakers. Do you think they would work well for a center channel?

howiez

#19 Post by howiez »

johns811 wrote:What kind of cross over did you use for the L/R speakers. Do you think they would work well for a center channel?
There are no crossovers (except in the amp), I kept this as simple as possible. I'm using the recommended MCM 8" sub and 4 ohm Peerless midrange 2" drivers in a series parallel line array to keep them at 4 ohms as well. They are only flat from 150 to 4k but cover 3.5k to 20k at 74dB sensitivity. I was willing to take a chance to reduce the number of parts.

The amp is a LePai LP-168HA 2.1 amp with a built in adjustable 50-200Hz crossover. It is probably under powered for the sub (given comments I've read about the included 3A power supply), but plenty for the arrays. If it turned out awful I had some cheap tweeters to put on it. However I would have had to build or buy some passive crossovers then.

I think they would work fine for a center channel, as centers contain a lot of dialog, not typically full range content in movies. Maybe for a xChannel stereo with music it would be dull compared to other speakers. I do listen to music on my movie system in the 7.1 'all channel stereo' mode quite often, and my MCM center channel sucks, but does the job for now.

I would certainly entertain the idea of 9 of those in a BFM center array, for that cost. It seems to me there was a thread about someone doing that with some 3 or 4 inch drivers, no tweeters and someone or BFM pointed out the dialog bit, and it would probably work fine for movies.

LelandCrooks

#20 Post by LelandCrooks »

I like it!
If it's too loud, you're even older than me! Like me.
http://www.speakerhardware.com

bassmonster

#21 Post by bassmonster »