squeeze out - PL

Post your build odyssey here.
Stratispho

squeeze out - PL

#1 Post by Stratispho »

This stuff really continues to ooze doesn't it? I pulled the plunger out to release the pressure at least 6" from the end of the run and it still oozed out all over the place. Ended up putting a screw in the tip to plug it and left it tip down in a corner with wax paper under it.

I think I could get away with putting about half this amount on as there was a lot more squeeze out than I anticipated.

Current HT Setup
TV - Vizio e701i-a3
Denon AVR-X2000
9 driver Curved SLA center channel
Rebuilt Bose 4000 L/R
Single 4" rears
Table Tuba w/ MCM 55-2421

ripNdeb

Re: squeeze out - PL

#2 Post by ripNdeb »

Doesn't look too bad. Definitely too much is better than not enough. I usually stop the plunger a little early and squeeze out the last little bit from the nozzle with my fingers then, as you have, put a screw into the nozzle.
2X OTop 112, 3012HO, melded - 2X T39, 27", Lab 12 - XF 212 - 4 DR250, 2 melded, 2 straight
2 20" T39 3012LF - WH10 - WH8 - in the shop - 2 more 20" T39s
http://saltandlighteureka.org still need a trailer :)

Tom Smit

#3 Post by Tom Smit »

The squeeze-out is not that bad. It definitely shows that the panels will probably be air tight.

Have you wrapped the tube with tape, and, made several punctures through the skin past the nozzle?
TomS

Stratispho

#4 Post by Stratispho »

Tom Smit wrote:Have you wrapped the tube with tape

I didn't, thanks for the reminder.
Tom Smit wrote:and, made several punctures through the skin past the nozzle?
Haven't heard or seen this. Are you talking about inside the nozzle, the barrier that you pop?
Current HT Setup
TV - Vizio e701i-a3
Denon AVR-X2000
Rebuilt Bose 4000 L/R
Single 4" rears

Rich4349

#5 Post by Rich4349 »

Tom Smit wrote: Have you wrapped the tube with tape, and, made several punctures through the skin past the nozzle?
I have NO idea what this means. Wrapped around it circumferentially? Or end to end, to hold in the plug? If circumferentially, wouldn't this only serve to INCREASE the pressure and push the plug out more?

And "past the nozzle"...? Past it one way is through the tube side itself, past the nozzle the other way is in open space! This reminds me of communication games where you can only use words, no imagery, to get someone to do something physical.
2 DR250s, 2 27" Lab15 T-60s, 2 30" Neo Titan 39s, 1 Autotuba...and looking for more!

Stratispho

#6 Post by Stratispho »

Rich4349 wrote:
Tom Smit wrote: Have you wrapped the tube with tape, and, made several punctures through the skin past the nozzle?
I have NO idea what this means. Wrapped around it circumferentially? Or end to end, to hold in the plug? If circumferentially, wouldn't this only serve to INCREASE the pressure and push the plug out more?
Wrap it around the circumference. It keeps the cardboard tube from expanding when you apply pressure on the back end. This in turn prevents the nozzle from continuing to discharge (as much) after you've let go of the handle.
Tom Smit wrote:A tip shared by DJP is to wrap the cartridge with tape from top to bottom. I found that this works quite well after a few squeezes. Release the rod tension just before finishing the laying of the PL strip and there is virtually no drips. A 10d nail is a cheap plug.
This is the same concept.

I read that you can use zip ties wrapped around it to accomplish the same thing.
Current HT Setup
TV - Vizio e701i-a3
Denon AVR-X2000
Rebuilt Bose 4000 L/R
Single 4" rears

Tom Smit

#7 Post by Tom Smit »

Stratispho wrote:
Wrap it around the circumference. It keeps the cardboard tube from expanding when you apply pressure on the back end. This in turn prevents the nozzle from continuing to discharge (as much) after you've let go of the handle.
+1
Stratispho wrote:
Haven't heard or seen this. Are you talking about inside the nozzle, the barrier that you pop?
Yes.
TomS

Stratispho

#8 Post by Stratispho »

Tom, I'll make a few more punctures tonight before I work again.
Current HT Setup
TV - Vizio e701i-a3
Denon AVR-X2000
Rebuilt Bose 4000 L/R
Single 4" rears

heavybdrums

#9 Post by heavybdrums »

When doing a series of glue ups, I place a rag (t shirt or other rag that I use for nothing else) on the workbench and place the tip of the gun on it to avoid getting glue on the table. After a while the rag gets absolutely gorry with glue, but I can still use it for future glue-ups to catch the squeeze out. Actually I concur, the glue squeeze out looks good, in fact, before the glue squeeze out gets hard I usually run a caulk bead of glue in addition on the insides to ensure an airtight seal, so the inside of my cabs actually have more glue around the joints.
4x WH8 delta pro
2x WH10 Deltalite 2510
4x Dr250 Deltalite II 2510
8X Titan 39 3012lf, 28"
4X Tuba 60 W/ lab 15
FB: https://www.facebook.com/sunsoundservices/ likes appreciated

heavybdrums

#10 Post by heavybdrums »

Stratispho wrote:
Tom Smit wrote:Have you wrapped the tube with tape

I didn't, thanks for the reminder.
Yeapper he's referring to making several punctures through the seal when the tube is new. This reduces the pressure build up that can cause the tube to run on excessively. This will only help but not eliminate the run on, it's just a fact of life.
4x WH8 delta pro
2x WH10 Deltalite 2510
4x Dr250 Deltalite II 2510
8X Titan 39 3012lf, 28"
4X Tuba 60 W/ lab 15
FB: https://www.facebook.com/sunsoundservices/ likes appreciated

Stratispho

#11 Post by Stratispho »

After punching a few more holes in it and wrapping more tape it seems to be much better. I'm still using too much glue but I'd rather buy a new tube at $4.50 vs not having everything air tight.
Current HT Setup
TV - Vizio e701i-a3
Denon AVR-X2000
Rebuilt Bose 4000 L/R
Single 4" rears

DJPhatman

#12 Post by DJPhatman »

Stratispho wrote:After punching a few more holes in it and wrapping more tape it seems to be much better. I'm still using too much glue but I'd rather buy a new tube at $4.50 vs not having everything air tight.
+1,000,000!
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice