Wedgehorn 10's W/ Urethane horns

Post your build odyssey here.
heavybdrums

Re: Wedgehorn 10's W/ Urethane horns

#16 Post by heavybdrums »

On the WH 8 build i painted the inside of the case and outside of the horn with dark grey so when seeing through the port/handle holes you would see black, but with this build i found that with there is no view into the cab so no paint inside on the WH 10's.
4x WH8 delta pro
2x WH10 Deltalite 2510
4x Dr250 Deltalite II 2510
8X Titan 39 3012lf, 28"
4X Tuba 60 W/ lab 15
FB: https://www.facebook.com/sunsoundservices/ likes appreciated

guitarkeys.com

#17 Post by guitarkeys.com »

When using side fills correctly, phase cancellation should not be a concern in terms of other monitors on stage. If you are putting FOH through monitors on the side of the stage and thinking that is how they are suppose to be used then that is incorrect and will cause issues.

Think of side fills as just another monitor who's purpose is to put sound that otherwise wouldn't be in an area on stage into that area.
Jamie
Fayetteville, AR
In Pursuit Of Audio Perfection
"A Bad Mix is Bad at Any Volume"

heavybdrums

#18 Post by heavybdrums »

guitarkeys.com wrote:When using side fills correctly, phase cancellation should not be a concern in terms of other monitors on stage. If you are putting FOH through monitors on the side of the stage and thinking that is how they are suppose to be used then that is incorrect and will cause issues.

Think of side fills as just another monitor who's purpose is to put sound that otherwise wouldn't be in an area on stage into that area.
good point thanks
4x WH8 delta pro
2x WH10 Deltalite 2510
8X Titan 39 3012lf, 28"
4X Tuba 60 W/ lab 15

heavybdrums

#19 Post by heavybdrums »

heavybdrums wrote:
Bruce Weldy wrote:"that horn's got a purty mouth boy..."
:loler: :loler: Thanks Bruce!! leme play ya a song: dana-nar-nar-nar-na-nar-nar-nar (response) dana-nar nar nar.... :chainsaw: :chainsaw:
your quote reminded me of "Deliverance" the song from there...
4x WH8 delta pro
2x WH10 Deltalite 2510
8X Titan 39 3012lf, 28"
4X Tuba 60 W/ lab 15

Bruce Weldy

#20 Post by Bruce Weldy »

heavybdrums wrote:
heavybdrums wrote:
Bruce Weldy wrote:"that horn's got a purty mouth boy..."
:loler: :loler: Thanks Bruce!! leme play ya a song: dana-nar-nar-nar-na-nar-nar-nar (response) dana-nar nar nar.... :chainsaw: :chainsaw:
your quote reminded me of "Deliverance" the song from there...
Yep - you nailed it.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

heavybdrums

#21 Post by heavybdrums »

The parts for my wh10 finally came in and put them together. Am going through the break in process with 12 volts of 10 hz. My qsc gx5 can throw out about 25 volts and at that with 20hz I find that the Eminence Deltalite 10 a's excursion can cause the dust cap to hit the plug extension. (quite audible) I feel certain this will not happen in normal use but we will have to see. Also with this woofer I couldn't just put the speaker face up on the workbench as this blocks the airflow and causes it to heat up ,and can't place it face down because the surround would hit the table, so here I had to mount the speaker in it's box to do the break in. I may have to put a second spacer in if I find that the dust cover continues to strike the plug extension in normal use,(but I doubt it will) anyone ever noticed this being an issue?
4x WH8 delta pro
2x WH10 Deltalite 2510
8X Titan 39 3012lf, 28"
4X Tuba 60 W/ lab 15

heavybdrums

#22 Post by heavybdrums »

Also notice in the second picture, that I have temporarily used #10-1&1/2" screws to mount the driver and can't get 2 of the most obscured screws in. I will have to replace these phillips screws with some i can get a small ratchet on to get those 2 screws in.
4x WH8 delta pro
2x WH10 Deltalite 2510
8X Titan 39 3012lf, 28"
4X Tuba 60 W/ lab 15

heavybdrums

#23 Post by heavybdrums »

My "little buddies" all in a row, 2x wh8's and the first of 2x wh10's. second from left wh8 had to be taken apart (for not working) and found I didn't put in the 5.6uf capacitor in the high pass (lol) and had the + and- crossed in the crossover system :oops: . But while I had them all here and not at the practice house I decided to check polarity of each tweeter array and woofer and each cabinet with each other, total success!! :chainsaw: :chainsaw: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:
4x WH8 delta pro
2x WH10 Deltalite 2510
8X Titan 39 3012lf, 28"
4X Tuba 60 W/ lab 15

Bruce Weldy

#24 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Why would you ever send 20hz to a monitor?

That speaker can't handle that kind of low end. You should high pass those at 50hz if you are planning to play 'em loud.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#25 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Bruce Weldy wrote:Why would you ever send 20hz to a monitor?
That speaker can't handle that kind of low end. You should high pass those at 50hz if you are planning to play 'em loud.
+1. 25v at 20Hz would send that poor cone 20mm if it could, but it would have already suffered fatal damage around 10mm. Aside from the excursion issue it simply won't produce anything useful at 20Hz anyway. Where break-in is concerned 30Hz is as low as you want to go with a midbass driver, unless it's at very low voltage.

heavybdrums

#26 Post by heavybdrums »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:
Bruce Weldy wrote:Why would you ever send 20hz to a monitor?
+1. 25v at 20Hz would send that poor cone 20mm if it could, but it would have already suffered fatal damage around 10mm. Aside from the excursion issue it simply won't produce anything useful at 20Hz anyway. Where break-in is concerned 30Hz is as low as you want to go with a midbass driver, unless it's at very low voltage.
not to worry bruce, it's just the break in to crackle the spider epoxy, no harm done. Actually with the http://onlinetonegenerator.com/ you can send any frequency, even 1hz or less, my choice of 10 hz was because it was a more quiet sound (sounds like helicopter) and works that spider nicely @ 12 volts without hitting bottom. When these are actually in use they will be crossed over at 50-60hz, and the extreme cone excursion will not happen. The driver sustained no damage.
4x WH8 delta pro
2x WH10 Deltalite 2510
8X Titan 39 3012lf, 28"
4X Tuba 60 W/ lab 15

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#27 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

heavybdrums wrote: my choice of 10 hz was because it was a more quiet sound
Outside of an enclosure you can't hear a 30Hz tone from a driver, which is one reason why you break drivers in before mounting them. I put mine magnet down on a workbench, and they never get warm, let alone hot.

Bruce Weldy

#28 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:
heavybdrums wrote: my choice of 10 hz was because it was a more quiet sound
Outside of an enclosure you can't hear a 30Hz tone from a driver, which is one reason why you break drivers in before mounting them. I put mine magnet down on a workbench, and they never get warm, let alone hot.
I've even done driver break-in in my office in the house....unless you walk in the room, you don't even hear it. And it's quiet enough that I can work with it going on.....

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

Tom Smit

#29 Post by Tom Smit »

I've broken-in drivers by hanging them on a tarp strap.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=tarp+str ... d=0CBwQsAQ
TomS

heavybdrums

#30 Post by heavybdrums »

Tom Smit wrote:I've broken-in drivers by hanging them on a tarp strap.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=tarp+str ... d=0CBwQsAQ
Ohh..nice idea, I probably have a bungee that would work. IDK but I have a really cheap vom which I'm sure is inaccurate, but at 50% on the qsc gx 5, I read about 10 volts across the 1/4" tip and ring, if I were playing full frequency music ( lp @ 50 hz) it would be really loud for sure (that is where the amp is set with unity on the board in band practice into 4 monitors), but I can't read 1.5 volts on its scale (not digital), and would barely move the driver,and be on the first detent of the amp volume knob. But I'm the noob here so I'm sure you are right. The real idea behind this (playing full frequency music at full on 500 watts into 8 ohms for 20 seconds) is like destructive testing. I have read lots here and learned lots but until you push it to the bleeding edge all those numbers are (not really meaningless) but really don't give the full picture. After all, numbers in and of themselves don't make a sound. So I had to try and see just how loud it would go. And for the 20 seconds at full on 500 watts (25 volts), I didn't notice any distortion (except in my ears, cause it was soooo loud) and the amp didn't clip, and I didn't want to stand in front of the monitors, but stayed behind them because I feared for my hearing :chainsaw: . So, one question I answered was if the gx 5 was appropriately powerful enough for the w8 and w10, and I believe it is exactly the amount of power I need to not be struggling to be loud enough and have plenty of (probably unusable) head room. So the next amp purchase is going to be another one of the QSC GX 5's so I can have 4 monitor mixes on stage. For mains (2x dr 250 each side) and subs (4x Titan 48) I'm thinking the : http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PLD42 , with which I would allot 400 watts to each stack of 2x dr 250 and the rest to the subs. The amp is configurable in this way, but the exact proportions are yet to be finalized. (of course I would limit the subs to 50-60 volts with premium drivers). Oh as a side note I grew up in Norfolk, Va.,right near the Norfolk International Airport, and Navy Base and Naval Air Station, where they used to do open air destructive testing of jet engines. They take the engine out of the fighter jet, strap it in a tower and run it at several times its rated capacity, sometimes until failure. That was a noise bigger than god!! Back then fighter jets were allowed to break the sound barrier over land (right over our house which was appropriately inline with the Naval Air Base's runway) :chainsaw: :chainsaw: :chainsaw: )))))))))))))))))
:cussing:
4x WH8 delta pro
2x WH10 Deltalite 2510
8X Titan 39 3012lf, 28"
4X Tuba 60 W/ lab 15