T24 Build

Post your build odyssey here.
Bruce Weldy

T24 Build

#1 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Started up a T24 yesterday. It will be used under a Yamaha SM12V top box as a drum monitor for outside shows.

I'll be using the passive crossover in the plans.

Most important part....
T24 2015 01 small.jpg
I'm going to utilize the one piece flange like I did on my last T39s. Credit to Harley for the passing on the idea....I think it came from someone years ago if I remember correctly.

Here's the flange. The cool thing is that it will also serve as an alignment base for the internal panels. I made it a little wider, but I can cut it down some if there isn't room to get the speaker and/or my hands in there.
T24 2015 02 small.jpg
I'm using the 3010LF - it's only got four bolts, so I'm hoping I'll be able to reach them all from one side and not have to put an access cover on the other side.

Bought two sheets of 5x5, but was able to save a whole sheet by using scraps I had left from other projects.....until the very last brace....just didn't have a piece big enough. But, I did have a piece with a saw kerf in it. So, PL to the rescue.....shoved it down in the slot. Drying now and will cut to size tomorrow....then it's time to put it all together. Speaker arrival is scheduled for tomorrow afternoon.
T24 2015 03 small.jpg

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

David Raehn

Re: T24 Build

#2 Post by David Raehn »

:cop: Starting a build without the speaker on hand!

:cowboy: Nice flange!

:D Clean build!
BFM rig:
6 OT12
4 T48
4 WH8
Other:
56 box Electrotec LabQ rig
Way too many cables
:noob:

Grant Bunter

#3 Post by Grant Bunter »

David Raehn wrote::cop: Starting a build without the speaker on hand!
Not a problem if you haven't cut the baffle hole and fitted the baffle :)

Bruce: Looking great, as your builds always do...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Bruce Weldy

#4 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Grant Bunter wrote:
David Raehn wrote::cop: Starting a build without the speaker on hand!
Not a problem if you haven't cut the baffle hole and fitted the baffle :)
Exactly.

All parts are cut, nothing is attached yet. Baffle gets a big ol' hole in it tomorrow afternoon....well, not a really big hole...actually, it's a pretty small hole for a sub.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Bruce Weldy

#5 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Does anyone have any experience with putting the passive crossover in the driver chamber of a T24? That is going to be a really tight fit because that coil is huge! I don't think I'll be able to put it on a board - will probably have to attach it directly to the inside of the chamber. I can probably get the other two components on a small board an attach it somewhere inside....don't know.

Any thoughts?

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

David Raehn

#6 Post by David Raehn »

Is the chamber cover big enough? Where are you putting the jack plate? If the jack plate will be on the back, maybe the horn wall you see from the jack plate opening will be reachable.
BFM rig:
6 OT12
4 T48
4 WH8
Other:
56 box Electrotec LabQ rig
Way too many cables
:noob:

Bruce Weldy

#7 Post by Bruce Weldy »

David Raehn wrote:Is the chamber cover big enough? Where are you putting the jack plate? If the jack plate will be on the back, maybe the horn wall you see from the jack plate opening will be reachable.
I'm only building it with 15 inch internal panels, so it's pretty tight. The jack plate is on the back, but I don't think I can get my hands in there to attach anything. I'm gonna' have to put it in after the driver is in I think....finding room where I can.

Got the driver today.....I'm gonna' have to do some shaving on my flange. I left it oversized because I like as much gasket tape as I can get on there, but the driver won't go through it. Tomorrow I'll whittle.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

Grant Bunter

#8 Post by Grant Bunter »

Bruce, would the inductor fit on the access panel?
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Bruce Weldy

#9 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Grant Bunter wrote:Bruce, would the inductor fit on the access panel?

Probably so, I just kinda' hate having wires coming out when you take off the cover.......

That thing's about 5 inches long and weighs a couple of pounds.

Update....Everything is cut except the driver cutout.....UPS didn't show up until after 6pm. So, I pretty much did everything else that I could do. Did the jack plate cutout and routed the inset, built a special cable to run from the sub to the top.....I'm wiring it so that it can't get screwed up by well-meaning by incompetent helpers.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

DJPhatman

#10 Post by DJPhatman »

TBH, Bruce, build the crossover into a small break-out box, having the single feed in, and the low and high outputs. This removes all problems that could be encountered at the jack plate.
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

Bruce Weldy

#11 Post by Bruce Weldy »

DJPhatman wrote:TBH, Bruce, build the crossover into a small break-out box, having the single feed in, and the low and high outputs. This removes all problems that could be encountered at the jack plate.

I considered that but this will be used for gigs and I don't want to add any extra set up, hauling, hookup, etc.....even though it's small, I'd have to teach helper how to set it up, etc.

I want this to be as plug and play as possible. I strongly considered building a jack 10 onto the top of the T24, but since I already had an appropriate sized top box and didn't want to build another speaker - I went this route.

I'll know later today if it's all gonna fit.

Time to get to work.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

squiers007

#12 Post by squiers007 »

Just thought I'd pop in and say hey. I'll be following along. Looks like you're off to a good start.

Bruce Weldy

#13 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Here's an update.

Fixed the one-piece flange so the driver will go in....
T24 2015 08 small.jpg
Cut out the hole in the baffle with the router and a homemade circle jig.....then rounded over the top edge a little with a roundover bit.
T24 2015 04 small.jpg
Then added the backer blocks...
T24 2015 05 small.jpg

Then started putting on panels.......I pre-drilled the speaker cable hole.
T24 2015 06.jpg
T24 2015 07 small.jpg
I think I'm going to install the speaker and crossover components before putting on the second side.....I'll use paper and masking tape to cover everything in the driver chamber, then pull it off after it dries.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

Chris_Allen

#14 Post by Chris_Allen »

I always try and install my speakons on the rear of cab, the opposite side to the mouth.

Building on what DJP said, if you were to still build a box for the crossover components, cut a rectangular hole in the back of the cab and mount the box on the inside with your connectors in the hole. You could still unscrew and pull the box through the hole for maintenance.
Built:
6xDR200, 2xT39, 2xT48, 2xJack110, 1xOmni10.5, 1xAutotuba, 1xT18, 1xSLA Pro, 1xW8, 1xW10

Bruce Weldy

#15 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Chris_Allen wrote:I always try and install my speakons on the rear of cab, the opposite side to the mouth.

Building on what DJP said, if you were to still build a box for the crossover components, cut a rectangular hole in the back of the cab and mount the box on the inside with your connectors in the hole. You could still unscrew and pull the box through the hole for maintenance.
All of my speakons in all my cabs are in the back.

I was looking at it this morning and I have room to get it all in the driver chamber, but I'm definitely going to put it all in before I put the second side on.

I'm never happy with sealing the speaker wires coming out of the chamber with PL.... it's drying now, but I may go back over the whole mess with hot melt glue and build a mountain.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210