T24 Build

Post your build odyssey here.
DJPhatman

Re: T24 Build

#46 Post by DJPhatman »

commander_dan wrote:Looks sweet Bruce! :clap: My brother used one of his T30's as a bass monitor last weekend, worked v nicely!
Ask your brother to try it with the T30 on the bottom. Might give him a bit more bottom.
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#47 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

DJPhatman wrote: Ask your brother to try it with the T30 on the bottom. Might give him a bit more bottom.
It won't, as even placed on top it will get full boundary loading within its pass band. But unless he has ears on his calves the other cab should be on the top.

DJPhatman

#48 Post by DJPhatman »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:It won't, as even placed on top it will get full boundary loading within its pass band. But unless he has ears on his calves the other cab should be on the top.
Point taken, but I see the T30 as being more than 24" above the floor. IOW, in the "No Zone". My guess is 27-29" inches high.
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

commander_dan

#49 Post by commander_dan »

DJPhatman wrote:
commander_dan wrote:Looks sweet Bruce! :clap: My brother used one of his T30's as a bass monitor last weekend, worked v nicely!
Ask your brother to try it with the T30 on the bottom. Might give him a bit more bottom.
Heh, I have a feeling that, in this case, it's placement was deliberate; more for his listening pleasure than anything else. Sure the top should have been on the top, but I know where he's coming from.. my wife has often found me sitting right in front of the horn mouths with a stupid grin on my face! Just love that clean punchy bass these things create, is all :)
Built:
6 T30 (24", 3012LF)
2 OT12 (MA, 3012HO)
2 T24 (18", 3010LF)

Running:
DCX2496
XTi 2002
XTi 4002
TRAKTOR Z2
TECHNICS 1210 Mk5's

Bruce Weldy

#50 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Bruce Weldy wrote:Well, I've used the T24 as a drum monitor for a couple of shows now.....the problem I'm having is that the top is outrunning the sub utilizing the passive crossover.

I'm having to boost the bottom and lower the top across the board on the GEQ to try and level it out.

Is there any kind of pad that I could use to attenuate the top some to help level it out?

Still trying to keep it running with a passive crossover and not have to bi-amp it.
I re-incarnated the thread with the above question.....how did we end up talking about T30s on the top of a bass rig? :fruit:

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

commander_dan

#51 Post by commander_dan »

:oops: Apologies Bruce. Alas, I don't know the answer to your problem, hence I will now shut up :P
Built:
6 T30 (24", 3012LF)
2 OT12 (MA, 3012HO)
2 T24 (18", 3010LF)

Running:
DCX2496
XTi 2002
XTi 4002
TRAKTOR Z2
TECHNICS 1210 Mk5's

DJPhatman

#52 Post by DJPhatman »

Bruce Weldy wrote:I re-incarnated the thread with the above question.....how did we end up talking about T30s on the top of a bass rig?
Because, I thread-jacked YOU! :P :twisted: :mrgreen: :loler: :noob: :lol: :cowboy:

Bruce Weldy

#53 Post by Bruce Weldy »

DJPhatman wrote:
Bruce Weldy wrote:I re-incarnated the thread with the above question.....how did we end up talking about T30s on the top of a bass rig?
Because, I thread-jacked YOU! :P :twisted: :mrgreen: :loler: :noob: :lol: :cowboy:
Kinda' what I thought! :mrgreen:

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Bruce Weldy

#54 Post by Bruce Weldy »

commander_dan wrote::oops: Apologies Bruce. Alas, I don't know the answer to your problem, hence I will now shut up :P
Nah, I'm just giving y'all a hard time.

It was like asking someone what time it is and they tell you the temperature.

Now, will one of you geniuses help out a knuckle-dragging guitard player get his top and bottom somewhere in the same zip code?

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

Bruce Weldy

#55 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Since my question may have fizzled into the ozone.....

Do any of you electronically savvy individuals have a solution for lowering the output of my top box in relation to the T24? They are running on a passive crossover in the T24. Short of installing some kind of volume control on the top box, is there any kind of pad device that would help me take it down a notch? I've heard mention on the forum about L-pads, but I really don't know anything about 'em.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

David Raehn

#56 Post by David Raehn »

If you know the crossover point, why not do the taming with a little EQ?
BFM rig:
6 OT12
4 T48
4 WH8
Other:
56 box Electrotec LabQ rig
Way too many cables
:noob:

Bruce Weldy

#57 Post by Bruce Weldy »

David Raehn wrote:If you know the crossover point, why not do the taming with a little EQ?

Because its a lot of taming....and I'm running it out of one side of a driverack that is also used for running my standard monitors too. If I do a custom setting for it, then it won't be as good for the standard......of course, I could just save it as another preset.....just seems like it'd be easier to have it built in.

I did find this...

http://www.parts-express.com/parts-expr ... m--260-262

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

FrankORandle

#58 Post by FrankORandle »

L-Pads can get very hot when they are turned down. The 100 watt ones are metal and ceramic because of the amount of heat they can put off. They can melt the plastic face plate.

This is one for for installing in an electrical box in-wall rated at 300 watts.
http://www.outdoorspeakerdepot.com/impe ... witch.html
2-TTLS w/Dayton RSS265HO-4 10" Reference HO Subwoofer

Bruce Weldy

#59 Post by Bruce Weldy »

FrankORandle wrote:L-Pads can get very hot when they are turned down. The 100 watt ones are metal and ceramic because of the amount of heat they can put off. They can melt the plastic face plate.

This is one for for installing in an electrical box in-wall rated at 300 watts.
http://www.outdoorspeakerdepot.com/impe ... witch.html
That is big.....

I won't be turning it down a lot....just enough to balance the two cabs. One of the Lpads will fit in the top box mounted to the jack plate, I think.

I don't know....I may just cut the heck out of every thing over 150 on the GEQ in the board to try and compensate....not what I really want to do.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

Bruce Weldy

#60 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Thought I'd post a follow up on the T24....

Just finished the last of 11 shows for the summer at an outside venue. The T24 did a great job. All of the drummers were very pleased with it. Of course, a lot of these guys aren't used to getting a monitor at all - so having not only a dedicated monitor and mix of their own, but a sub too was pretty cool.

As far as the issue with the top outrunning the sub, I just compensated with EQ on that aux out on the board. That worked fine and there were no complaints. They were all happy to hear their toms big and fat.

So, anyone considering a standalone drum monitor - this is a nice direction to go. You could take it even farther and build a J10 into the top of it - that's what I considered, but I already had the Yamaha to go on top.

Now, it's coming out of the trailer and will be my new garage PA. With the passive crossover, I can just keep running tunes through the old Peavey head and have a little bottom end while I solder....and solder....and solder.....seems like that what I do the most of out there.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210