Modded Table Tuba Idea. Good or Bad? Suggestions?

Post your build odyssey here.
Rune Bivrin

Re: Modded Table Tuba Idea. Good or Bad? Suggestions?

#16 Post by Rune Bivrin »

Tom Smit wrote:
caddylackn wrote:
67baja wrote: What's wrong with a pro sound sub in a vehicle?
Prosound drivers like high voltage and low current, which is the opposite of what auto amps provide since they have to start with a 12v - 14v DC power supply. Auto amps provide higher current at a lower voltage. It would take a real pricey auto amp to get even 500 watts out of a single prosound 8 ohm driver. Auto amps get their big watts and output by running 2 ohm, 1 ohm or 1/2 ohm loads. It would take at least 4 T-30s wired in parallel to even get close to 2 ohms, which indeed would be pretty loud if you could get them all to fit. To answer your question, there is nothing wrong with using a prosound driver, it is just more expensive to get auto amps that will run them to the same output.
Um, not quite. Amps put out wattage, which is volts times amps; drivers receive wattage. We measure in volts, and it doesn't matter if it's auto, pro or home speakers.

Pro cabs in a vehicle will not respond well because of the confined space.
:wall: :bash:
No. The signal from an amplifier is defined by its voltage, and is measured in Volts. The will result in a power being consumed by the drivers depending on their impedance.

Pro drivers tend to have high impedance, and so the car amps will not be able to drive them with the high voltage required to generate sufficient power (define sufficient - car audio tends to be pretty stupid).

Drivers for cars tend to be lower impedance, and thus match the car amplifiers better.
In build order:
O12 with no tweeter.
3 x WedgeHorns.
2 x Jack 10 without tweeters.
2 x DR250.
2 x 16" T39
1 x Tuba 24
2 x SLA Pro (sort of...)

bitSmasher

#17 Post by bitSmasher »

Lab12C :wink:
I've played with a few car amps that did 40-50V in to 8r, they weren't particularly "high end" but in the mid range price that I'd consider worthy

67baja

#18 Post by 67baja »

"Pro cabs in a vehicle will not respond well because of the confined space."

True or false? Why would 4 or more AT's or TT's not experience the same restrictions to the confined space. Seems to me "confined space" also equals "cabin gain."
2 THTs, 2 TLAH, SLA curved, 1 8-AT, 1 AT JBL 1002D, 4 Otop12s, Jack 12, TT with Eminence 10", 2 SLAs, 1 T30 slim, 2 T30s (2-10" each), SLA Pros, TrT.

Tom Smit

#19 Post by Tom Smit »

No. The signal from an amplifier is defined by its voltage, and is measured in Volts. The will result in a power being consumed by the drivers depending on their impedance.
I totally agree.
True or false? Why would 4 or more AT's or TT's not experience the same restrictions to the confined space. Seems to me "confined space" also equals "cabin gain."
I wish I could answer that, but I'm unable. :oops:
TomS

Ryan A

#20 Post by Ryan A »

A T-39 (pro sound) works just as well if not better than an AT in car. Trust me, I've tried it. You would need to have an auto amp that delivers decent power into a 10 ohm load, however. Usually this involves bridging a lower power car amp, just make sure it doesn't exceed voltage limits.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#21 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

67baja wrote:"Pro cabs in a vehicle will not respond well because of the confined space."

True or false?
False.
Seems to me "confined space" also equals "cabin gain."
True.

67baja

#22 Post by 67baja »

Oh man I feel like I won a prize!

So back to my recommendation: dual lab 12c loaded t60 or 2 t39/48 with lab 12c. Thanks for the reference to the 4 ohm lab! Perfect for the automotive base purist that doesn't mind a refrigerator sized sub in his rig!
2 THTs, 2 TLAH, SLA curved, 1 8-AT, 1 AT JBL 1002D, 4 Otop12s, Jack 12, TT with Eminence 10", 2 SLAs, 1 T30 slim, 2 T30s (2-10" each), SLA Pros, TrT.

Tom Smit

#23 Post by Tom Smit »

67baja wrote:Oh man I feel like I won a prize!
winner.gif
TomS

Ryan Sober

#24 Post by Ryan Sober »

Random thread hijack, to avoid starting a new thread for a simple question.

In the TTLS plans, the minimum width for a single 10" is 16"... but the minimum width for a 2x10" is 24".
Could you put 3 10's into a 36" cab, or possibly build three 1x10's at 12" wide?

caddylackn

#25 Post by caddylackn »

Maybe we need to have our First Annual BFM Autosound SPL Drag competition to figure out who is right :mrgreen: .

Loudest dB (20 Hz - 100 Hz) with lets say a 500 watt amp or $500 total cost wins?
Maximum combined outside size box let's say 36" by 48" by 40" or 40 cubic feet total. That should fit in a standard SUV

Maybe have a < 30 Hz SPL event class also.

Too bad we are all so far away from each other, this would be a fun event.
16.5" AT w/ Infinity 860w
TLAHs w/ 9 mids & 16 tweets
17" THTLP w/ Dayton RSS315HF-4
16" TAT w/ Infinity 1060w
18" TT w/ Dayton DCS-205-4
5.5" TrT w/ DCS-205-4
T-18 w/ DCS-205-4
33" THT w/ Dayton Titantic 1200
DR200s

bassmonster

#26 Post by bassmonster »

Uh... I don't know how loud OP usually listens to his music, but the dual TT in the back of my car will make you hurt pretty quickly. The car becomes unsafe to drive because the bass starts physically affecting you, first your concentration and then your vision as you pass 15v or so. It's such a visceral experience that it eventually starts exhausting you. Not to mention it's easy to damage your hearing. I know you don't want to hear that as a bass head, but keep it in mind.

A dual Infinity 860w TT will blow your mind. For what it's worth, I'm one of the biggest bass heads I know and I now run a single Infinity 860w Truck Tuba.

SeisTres

#27 Post by SeisTres »

Ryan Sober wrote:Random thread hijack, to avoid starting a new thread for a simple question.

In the TTLS plans, the minimum width for a single 10" is 16"... but the minimum width for a 2x10" is 24".
Could you put 3 10's into a 36" cab, or possibly build three 1x10's at 12" wide?
Horns benefit from being run in multiples as this increases the collective mouth area available to the speaker.

But yes, if a dual loaded design has a min width of 24", then you can simply build two single loaded at half the width (12" for this example) and you will get the same results as the dual loaded cab. Same thing applies for multiples inlvolving even more drivers in the design. So technically you could build a octa loaded cab if for some reason you did not want to build them as 4 duals or 8 single loaded cabs.
Built:6 t39, t18, 4 Jack10, 2 autotuba, 2 SLA,2 wedge, 2 TT, 2 Tritrix, curved sla, 2 otop212, 2 SLA pros, Ported 8" sub, 2 ported 210, dual ported 8" sub