2 Dual T60's - Go hard or go home!!

Post your build odyssey here.
LelandCrooks

Re: 2 Dual T60's - Go hard or go home!!

#31 Post by LelandCrooks »

Nice. Attention to details makes all the difference
If it's too loud, you're even older than me! Like me.
http://www.speakerhardware.com

Rich4349

#32 Post by Rich4349 »

In one of those last pics it looks like the longest braces pushed the cab out of square- trick of the camera, or did it do it?

Nice work though!
2 DR250s, 2 27" Lab15 T-60s, 2 30" Neo Titan 39s, 1 Autotuba...and looking for more!

CoronaOperator

#33 Post by CoronaOperator »

Rich4349 wrote:In one of those last pics it looks like the longest braces pushed the cab out of square- trick of the camera, or did it do it?

Nice work though!
I'm thinking it is more of an optical illusion than a camera trick. You had me worried so I held up a straightedge to the screen and it seemed straight when you block out the other board. Later I checked the boxes and they came out ok with a straightedge on them. Whew! :fingers:
Built:
17" width 10" driver Autotuba
2 x 29" width dual Lab12 Tuba60
6 x DR250 2510/asd1001
In progress:
2 x DR250 2510/asd1001
For best results, point the loud end of the array towards the audience

CoronaOperator

#34 Post by CoronaOperator »

Remember the fight I had with the compressor? Ya well I'm losing that battle pretty good now. Left it on overnight and while it was cycling I came across this the next day:

It still works for now but I don't think this fight is over yet :chainsaw: !

However that battle is going I found an amazing trick for applying Duratex! I used to apply, wait for it to set up a bit and then roll out the air bubbles. This time I rolled it on evenly, then sprayed it almost immediately with this attached to the air compressor:
It immediately pops all the bubbles and leaves a very even surface! It will be my new go to method.

After I finished installing the drivers and hardware and access covers it was off to leak testing:
No leaks :hyper: and they are alive !! :hyper: :hyper:

Very happy!
Built:
6 x DR250 2510/asd1001
In progress:
2 x DR250 2510/asd1001

Tom Smit

#35 Post by Tom Smit »

:clap:
Now we wait for the review.
TomS

CoronaOperator

#36 Post by CoronaOperator »

hifibob wrote:lookin good corona! I'm dying to hear your impressions once fired up.
Well, within about 2 minutes into the first demo song I played I hauled these (SRX728's) to the back door:
They are useless compared to these guys! ... and now they are just taking up needed storage space.

OK, so how do they sound compared to some real EDM subs?
In that pile are 4 PK Sound Klarity 218's, they are stashed away in that storage room for a reason. These Tuba 60's play way cleaner and play way lower! Man these things just keep on impressing me every time I listen to them. Granted the 4 PK boxes do have more output than my 2 doubles, one for one would be an equal match in output, so 1 dual Tuba60 to 1 Klarity 218 would be an even match output wise. Sound quality wise there is no comparison, pretty much unanimous across the board except for the owner of the PK rig. Mind you he has $20k in that system so he might be biased. I think I spent around $2300 in total but that includes some tools in there as well.

These subs do everything I wanted them to do and they do it flawlessly. Bill, thank you for these amazing designs! :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: Well worth the effort to build them.
Built:
6 x DR250 2510/asd1001
In progress:
2 x DR250 2510/asd1001

CoronaOperator

#37 Post by CoronaOperator »

However the build isn't done yet ... if you read my first post I mentioned that the room had a huge resonance at 45hz that I had trouble dealing with. Well, once these guys were fired up it became pretty obvious what was going on. The entire stage and roof were vibrating very badly! So much so that the rattles sounded louder than the subs did. So I had to tear up the stage and I took a piece of advice from Bills plans and used braces no more than 8" apart:

Even used PL on every joint. That only solved the stage issues, the ceiling, lighting conduit, cabinet doors, pool table trim pieces, everything was ratting:

After about another 90 hours of work I finally just finished eliminating all the rattles and there were many. A dozen tubes of PL, large lag screws, washers, weatherstripping, 4 tubes of silicone sealant, blueskin (self sticking roofing material) to add mass to the sheet metal air conduits, braces, screws, etc were all used in the battle and unlike the air compressor, I think I finally won this one. I just played sine waves through the Tuba's at around 40 volts and walked around finding them, then I changed the frequency a bit and found some more, and kept repeating the process.

Up until now however I couldn't wall load the subs due to the rattles in that corner so I had to just use them out front:

In that picture above the subs are pumping away:

That was taken about a meter away from them and is about all I can resister out of the subs, could be the meter maxing out as well or my limiter being a bit conservative. It is more than enough for what we do although some EDM artists like to be around 135 dB's. I know crazy right?
Built:
6 x DR250 2510/asd1001
In progress:
2 x DR250 2510/asd1001

CoronaOperator

#38 Post by CoronaOperator »

Tom Smit wrote::clap:
Although I have used these about 7 times now I just finally finished eliminating all the rattles from the room and just finally got to wall loaded them. That is a whole new animal! I'm getting a pretty even 125 dBC over 2/3rds of the dance floor. They sounded great out front but wall loading really shakes the room and carries much further back. I kind of gave a mini review already but once I have a few weeks listening to them without the rattles and dialed in wall loaded it will be coming. These boxes truly do impress. I think I even like them better than my autotuba!
Built:
6 x DR250 2510/asd1001
In progress:
2 x DR250 2510/asd1001

CoronaOperator

#39 Post by CoronaOperator »

LelandCrooks wrote:Nice. Attention to details makes all the difference
After I seen a few girls (EDM bass junkies) dry humping them their first night out I'll have to agree! :lol: :lol:
They may have been trekies though. Before they did that they asked how the "metal crisscross thingies make the sound" (they were talking about the braces). My answer was "they work like a warp drive and charge the air". A few of them mumbled how awesome modern technology is getting. :noob:
Built:
6 x DR250 2510/asd1001
In progress:
2 x DR250 2510/asd1001

Grant Bunter

#40 Post by Grant Bunter »

CoronaOperator wrote: Image

In that picture above the subs are pumping away:

:loler:
Doesn't look that guy and gal are far away from doing some of their own pumpin...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#41 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

CoronaOperator wrote:they asked how the "metal crisscross thingies make the sound" (they were talking about the braces). My answer was "they work like a warp drive and charge the air". A few of them mumbled how awesome modern technology is getting.
Beam me up, Scotty. There's no intelligent life here. :noob:

Tom Smit

#42 Post by Tom Smit »

CoronaOperator wrote:
Tom Smit wrote::clap:
Although I have used these about 7 times now I just finally finished eliminating all the rattles from the room and just finally got to wall loaded them. That is a whole new animal! I'm getting a pretty even 125 dBC over 2/3rds of the dance floor. They sounded great out front but wall loading really shakes the room and carries much further back. I kind of gave a mini review already but once I have a few weeks listening to them without the rattles and dialed in wall loaded it will be coming. These boxes truly do impress. I think I even like them better than my autotuba!
Thanks! Looking forward to the rest!
TomS

CoronaOperator

#43 Post by CoronaOperator »

Grant Bunter wrote: :loler:
Doesn't look that guy and gal are far away from doing some of their own pumpin...
You would hope that a few couples would hook up by the end of the night. You know, to keep our species going. However, that picture was taken about 10 minutes after we opened our doors!
Built:
6 x DR250 2510/asd1001
In progress:
2 x DR250 2510/asd1001

Rich4349

#44 Post by Rich4349 »

Wow, those look great! HOW did you get such a tidy little line of PL squeezeout in the mouth?
2 DR250s, 2 27" Lab15 T-60s, 2 30" Neo Titan 39s, 1 Autotuba...and looking for more!

CoronaOperator

#45 Post by CoronaOperator »

Rich4349 wrote:Wow, those look great! HOW did you get such a tidy little line of PL squeezeout in the mouth?
Lots of rags and wiping. There is still a smallish bead on the final side where I couldn't reach but by the magic of dimmed down lights and standing 6 feet away and paint you can hardly notice, but it is there.
Built:
6 x DR250 2510/asd1001
In progress:
2 x DR250 2510/asd1001