2 Dual T60's - Go hard or go home!!

Post your build odyssey here.
CoronaOperator

Re: 2 Dual T60's - Go hard or go home!!

#16 Post by CoronaOperator »

howiez wrote:RE: Braces first....
I put mine in first on my THT, but mocked each panel up and marked them all before gluing the braces down.
Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:Or not. If they're not perfectly placed the next panel will be out of kilter.
Yes, lining them up is key. A straightedge and a square is essential. Otherwise any panel warp on the inside panels gets transferred to the outside panels. Once everything is lined up and marked, then they went pretty quick.
howiez wrote:Nice looking build!
Thankyou, slowly getting there.
Built:
17" width 10" driver Autotuba
2 x 29" width dual Lab12 Tuba60
6 x DR250 2510/asd1001
In progress:
2 x DR250 2510/asd1001
For best results, point the loud end of the array towards the audience

CoronaOperator

#17 Post by CoronaOperator »

When I finished off last week my hands were pretty full of PL, even though I wore gloves from Tues on, by Friday when I had to go to work (with the public) they were still horrible. I tried to get a replacement to fill for me but no such luck, however one of the girls brought me this:
30 minutes of scrubbing in the shower and it worked!! My hands were PL free! Beware, it erodes your layers of skin away and my hands are still raw and don't overdo the knuckles, ouch. However, if you need to go out it got me by and my hands were so stained I really didn't think anything would do it. I don't think I have any skin left to use it again this week, so don't rely on it for everyday/week use. I think it is a once or twice a month deal.

A new week, so back to work on the cabinets: I installed the 2 sides. That went pretty quick and was straightforward. I marked where I had the braces for the brad nailer, laid the glue and put it in place. I used a couple screws on the bottom to squeeze the panel tight. After hearing one member say that the dip in the top was a water/spilled drink magnet, I opted for a full top. At the club it would turn into a sticky mess eventually. I'll leave the bird baths for another project.

Then came the other side, I used screws every 4 or 5 inches to give it some strength until the rest of the panels come on:

I installed the wiring. It was just cheap home depot 14 gauge audio wiring. I PL'd it in place to keep any rattles away.

I made patterns for the wheel cutouts and handles by cutting and hot gluing some scrap pieces together.

...and that is when everything started to snowball :cussing: :chainsaw: :wall: .

My plan was to turn down the air compressor to about 35 psi so I can tack the pattern jigs into place without penetrating too far and leaving the top of the brad showing so I can pull it out with pliers. Then route out the hole with a pattern following bit, then wash, lather, repeat.

Well as soon as I turned the dial on the compressor the plastic housing holding the dial broke off, sending the dial flying across the room and releasing all the air out of the tank. Great, now I have no compressor and have no idea how to fix it :cry: .

I figured well, the show must go on so then I just used screws to hold the patterns in place. After routing a few holes yet still worried about what to do with the compressor I noticed that the bearing on the pattern following bit was loose. Turns out there is a collet with a now missing allen set screw that came loose. After examining my holes, 3 of them were way off the pattern resulting in some drunken freehand holes :cry: . I didn't notice right away because the top of the pattern still looked fine, it was the underside that had cut away :cry: . So now I have no compressor, messed up holes in the already attached sides and ruined patterns.

I can take a lot, but that was it for that day. With my tail between my legs I packed it in, however I was still sane enough to fill all of the gouges with PL.
Built:
6 x DR250 2510/asd1001
In progress:
2 x DR250 2510/asd1001

escapemcp

#18 Post by escapemcp »

Ouch. I feel your pain! Still... it means you now get the satisfaction once you work out how to fix the issue (...every cloud!)

CoronaOperator

#19 Post by CoronaOperator »

Well today was a much better day at the shop :D . First thing that just came to me was to clamp the dial back onto the compressor. It worked :hyper: . I don't have any pressure control but my brad nailer is back in business! Next up I made some new patterns and checked out the pattern following bit on the router. I still don't have the set screw for it but if I slide up the bit tight to the collet I really don't need it. The PL set on all my gouges so we were off to a good start. I re-routed the previous holes and PL saved me there as duratex will hide any transition from the PL to the wood. I then finished off the rest of the holes. I also broke out the 3/8" roundover bit and made them all pretty then spent some time sanding them all smooth, especially where the 1/4 round stock meets the hand holds to make them comfortable on the hands when lifting.

The angled pieces in the photo are just temporarily as luckily I remembered to paint in behind there before gluing them in. I spent some time vacuuming up to keep the saw dust down, then broke out the Duratex.

Then while taking a final picture I noticed another little boo-boo:

I routed both sides of the front hand holds on one cabinet and only the outside on the other. The top cabinet I forgot to route before I added the half round. I suppose they would look and function fine either way but I want both cabinets to look exactly the same. It was still a good day compared to yesterday and I think I might still be able to round over the top cabinet. If I lower my bit as far as it can go and remove the plastic slider on the base of the router and use a scrap 1/2 round on the other side of the hand hold as a base it might just work, we'll find out tomorrow ...
Built:
6 x DR250 2510/asd1001
In progress:
2 x DR250 2510/asd1001

CoronaOperator

#20 Post by CoronaOperator »

Another day gone by:
I took a pic of the air compressor issue and my fix, with a fully charged tank and without the clamp in place, whats left of the dial gets launched into low earth orbit:
I might just get a c-clamp for permanent use as I could use that clamp for the build and I should have a hose mounted regulator kicking around somewhere as we use them for our liquor pouring systems.

I also fixed the front hand holds that I forgot to round off before I glued on the 1/2 round. The method I though of yesterday worked pretty good:
While cutting, my router started cutting out. Dust builds up behind the on/off switch and plugs up the contacts. This is the second time I've had to disassemble, clean out, then reassemble that switch. Seriously, who designed this thing? A router switch that can't handle dust? Are you kidding me? Its a bosch too, so not a cheap toy either. Oh well.

I then tried to test fit the plastic chevron corners I'm going to use. They didn't fit. Turns out my idea of 3/8" is more like 1/4". So I had to re-round off everything I did yesterday. There was only a little bit to take off so that went fast, however I had to re sand and re Duratex everything again. I'm starting to get used to this 2 steps forward, one step back dance I've been doing in the shop. I just may learn how to 2-step yet!

I then tried tackling the braces in the mouth. I managed to get most of the cutting done:
I was surprised how much wood those mouth braces take. I used up 3/4 of a 5x5 sheet of ply for what you see in the pictures!

Tomorrow I'll try gluing them all up. I think it is going to get messy. That is a lot of joints to do!
Built:
6 x DR250 2510/asd1001
In progress:
2 x DR250 2510/asd1001

CoronaOperator

#21 Post by CoronaOperator »

I just had a eureka moment and had to share. No wonder that compressor knob broke off. I just took a look at the picture I posted and in raised white lettering you can see it say "pull to adjust pressure". I though it said "if tight grab vicegrips and wrench on it" :bash: . Well, it was underwater in a flood a while back so my thinking wasn't completely out of line. Some days in the shop are better than others I tell you.
Built:
6 x DR250 2510/asd1001
In progress:
2 x DR250 2510/asd1001

Tom Smit

#22 Post by Tom Smit »

:loler:

It will get better.
TomS

DJPhatman

#23 Post by DJPhatman »

With a little bit of online research, you should be able to get replacement parts for that regulator. Better safe than sorry.
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

David Raehn

#24 Post by David Raehn »

Or maybe just a generic pressure regulator. I see it has the safety valve integral to the assembly and that may still be OK. When you have it running at desired pressure, yank the ring to release a bit of pressure and it should spring right shut when you let go. The pressure switch should not be a part of this assembly and if it's working correctly, leave it be. Step-down regulators should be available in most hardware joints, even Harbor Freight, and are less expense than replacement parts will be.
BFM rig:
6 OT12
4 T48
4 WH8
Other:
56 box Electrotec LabQ rig
Way too many cables
:noob:

CoronaOperator

#25 Post by CoronaOperator »

I think I'll be OK guys:
The motor still shuts off when the tank hits 100psi, kicks back in around 80psi and there is still the safety let off valve. The regulator I broke was just the outgoing airline pressure regulator, not the tanks pressure regulator. I have a few air line regulators laying around the club as we use air for our liquor pumping systems.
Built:
6 x DR250 2510/asd1001
In progress:
2 x DR250 2510/asd1001

CoronaOperator

#26 Post by CoronaOperator »

Not too much today:

I glued up and installed the two 45 degree corners and mounted the casters. I got them at home depot and they seem sturdy and rattle free. I guess I'll have to wait to see if they rattle or not once I fire these guys up.

This is what I came up with to glue-up the mouth braces:

I started with a layer of wax paper, glued up one set of braces, then another layer of wax paper, etc until all 6 braces were done (2 cabs) and stacked in place. I then clamped the upright braces together to keep them identical and pushed them tightly in place. To keep them flat and the joints lined up with each other I used scraps of wood over the joint lines. I placed one on the joint line (over wax paper), then placed an upright at a bit of an angle. I used a brad at the top of the upright scrap piece. I could then wedge the two scraps inward tightly in place like a cam. You could tell a lot of pressure was being pushed down. Then I used a brad to keep the two scrap pieces together and one last brad into the brace to keep them in place and prevent them from pulling away as they are in a vee and tend to pop out. I put 3 red dots where the 3 brads are on the bottom right homemade cam.

I stopped there for the day. If the braces turn out well, I'll do the last mouth ones the same way. That's it for this week on the cabs. Looking forward to tonight though. We have an act playing tonight called "Moontricks". It's a 2 person act with a DJ mixing his own all original EDM tracks while his partner in crime lays down live electric blues guitar riffs at the same time. I haven't heard them yet but it sounds interesting. Who knows, that blues guitar might even get Bill himself into going to EDM shows :wink: .
Built:
6 x DR250 2510/asd1001
In progress:
2 x DR250 2510/asd1001

escapemcp

#27 Post by escapemcp »

CoronaOperator wrote:Who knows, that blues guitar might even get Bill himself into going to EDM shows :wink: .
Bill has already been to an EDM 'show', and I think he may be planning on another in the near future (thanks to HifiBob's installs!). I think he may actually be warming to the dark side (EDM)...

ImageImageImage

He will have to give up the rebel bass before he is truly converted though! :wink:

CoronaOperator

#28 Post by CoronaOperator »

First off: the obligatory crappy phone mic video of the show:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10 ... _processed

The DJ also played harmonica and sometimes the guitar player would swap out for a banjo. It worked really well together with the electronic bass lines. The phone mic doesn't really portray the 125+ dB bass lines but you get the idea.

Back at it again:

The press I made for the mouth braces worked really good. When I removed them there were a few gaps in the odd joint so I had to fill them with PL and let them set overnight. Then I used an orbital sander with 60 grit to sand down and level all the joints. I trimmed the front and back edges using the crosscut sled to give a nice clean edge. I then rounded off all the visible edges on a router table. Then sanded, and sanded, and sanded ....

... still sanding

ok now done ... maybe a little more ... ok that's good. Then glued up all the pieces:

I then pained a coat of metallic blue paint (Home Depot: Ralph Lauren Metallic) using a brush to cut in and then a 2" x 4" trim roller to roll the rest. I tried using my airless sprayer but all that did was make a mess. Trying to get a far corner you inevitably hit a close brace and instant runs that had to be rolled/brushed out anyway. It was much quicker to do it by hand. Holy smokes that stuff dries quicker than duratex! Probably 10 minutes until dry to touch, 20 minutes until you can sand aggressively! I then sanded every bit of the braces using a drywall sanding sponge until I knocked down all the rough fibers and the finish felt smooth. Then I cut in and rolled 2 more coats:

In between coats I cut out the other access panel, drilled holes for the second side when glue up time comes and trimmed the front edges:

I'm really happy with how the braces came out but man was that a lot of work. Probably 20 hours or so. Up close in the light you can still make out a bit of the wood grain and the odd nick, etc, mostly due to the reflective nature of the paint, but once in the mouth where it is a bit darker and standing a couple feet away the metallic finish really shines. The camera really doesn't do the metallic finish any justice, the rounded edges really glisten and shimmer in the light.

I still have to paint the rest of the mouth blue and glue in the braces. Then I'll probably touch up any gaps with caulk and paint then glue up the final side.

Speaking of which, If things go well I'd like to fire these up Thursday night whether the outside is done or not. If I glue up the final side on Tuesday night, would 2 days be enough time for the PL to cure on the final side and the access covers?
Built:
6 x DR250 2510/asd1001
In progress:
2 x DR250 2510/asd1001

CoronaOperator

#29 Post by CoronaOperator »

More metallic blue today :D . I painted the mouths 3 coats, sanding after the second one:

I also managed to attach the braces (forgot to take a picture) and I attached the lip for the access panel.

I am aiming to use these on Thursday (2 days from now) so the countdown begins. I was initially worried about the PL curing on the second side in time but I couldn't mount it today as I have a few clamps in place to hold the braces until their glue sets. I'll use lots of screws to keep the pressure in and have it mounted by noon tomorrow. That'll give it 36 hours to set. If I miss my deadline that's ok too. The anticipation is really starting to build up :hyper: .
Built:
6 x DR250 2510/asd1001
In progress:
2 x DR250 2510/asd1001

CoronaOperator

#30 Post by CoronaOperator »

So Thursday night is coming up quick ... better get cracking!

Braces are mounted so last pic before all is lost:

A layer of PL before second side comes on:

A little bit of bondo:

More sanding and then first coat of Duratex:

Almost born:

Built:
6 x DR250 2510/asd1001
In progress:
2 x DR250 2510/asd1001