THT Build in progress

Post your build odyssey here.
Rowan611

Re: THT Build in progress

#106 Post by Rowan611 »

howiez wrote:
Great looking build! Regarding panel 8/9 swap, i feel your pain. I just started, and already cut panel 1 wrong! I had angle backwards and didn't want the "B" side of the wood out, as I intend to stain. So I'm already fuming and dead in water LOL. Anyway my contingency plan is to cut panel 6 about 1/2" longer and shorten 1. Of course that still went south and i'm maybe 1/16 to short. Probably not worth crying about but when you're trying to be careful and measure that many times and still miss, ooof!
My panel 1 screwed up the rest of the build. I am convinced that's why everything was off in one form or another. Make sure panel 1 is 100% square. I will build another next summer, I've enjoyed it. But, I will carry all the lessons I learned on this one over to the second and it will be much better.

My takeaways for this one are

- even with a sled, cutting something the exact right length or height is tough. This was the #1 thing I fought the most.
- a table saw would have made cutting the individual panels so much easier. Not to mention the angles.
- PL isn't all that bad. With a nice $2 pair of gloves that I bought a HF I could deal with PL all day long and not be bothered. The cheap latex ones just rip and they suck. Spend the money on some decent gloves and they will pay dividends.
- most importantly, take your time. Use a couple carpenter squares (I didn't start using mine until panel 4). They're not expensive and they will save you headaches down the road.
- finally, clamps. you will need 30" and 48" clamps. I stupidly bought 24" and 36" not realizing they wouldn't work for the whole job. And honestly, HF has some decent F style clamps. They're on sale now for $6 ea - I've bought 5 of those and 2 of the 48" bar clamps. Also, make at least 4 W jigs (check out Brysons builds if you wanna see what I'm referring to).
1299s L/C/R | Volt8s | Crown amps | 24" THT x 4| Minidsp 10x10 2x4HD | Panamax 5300PM | LG 65B6 | Oppo 203 | Crowsons | HoverBoss | Behringer NX amps

THT Build

Rowan611

#107 Post by Rowan611 »

Basically ready to start painting. Has anybody installed the driver before they paint to make sure they're aren't ant leaks in the cab? Seems to me that this would be the most ideal way to do it.
1299s L/C/R | Volt8s | Crown amps | 24" THT x 4| Minidsp 10x10 2x4HD | Panamax 5300PM | LG 65B6 | Oppo 203 | Crowsons | HoverBoss | Behringer NX amps

THT Build

Rowan611

#108 Post by Rowan611 »

Went ahead and got the driver installed. No leaks! YAY!! :hyper: :hyper:

It was around 10 when I tested and the 25hz tone at 10 volts will defiantly make noise and rattle anything around it. I will double check tomorrow during the day. Very happy with what I did hear and I'm excited to get her downstairs and in place.

THT Build

Bryson

#109 Post by Bryson »

Nice work!
Done: 2 x Dual Loaded T24 (BP102), 2 x 16in T24s (BP102), THT
Now: T18...
Next: ???

Rowan611

#110 Post by Rowan611 »

Bryson wrote:Nice work!
Thanks. How goes your build?

Got a few coats of flat black on today. Decided to go the duratex route since PE now carries it in quart size.

THT Build

Rowan611

#111 Post by Rowan611 »

Well, got her downstairs and fired up yesterday evening. WOW. I placed this in the location where my other subs sounded best (or at least I thought - more on that in a sec). Threw in Tron and holy cow. Just unbelievable output. But, it sounded really boomy. Not accurate at all. Just loads of boomy bass. I knew immediately that this location wouldn't work. But, I didn't feel like dicking with it just then. So, last night I put on Star Trek Into Darkness, lowered the gain through the receiver and sat back, not sure of what to expect. What I got was a 2 hour body massage :hyper: :mrgreen:

Today I found a better location, much better. It's in a corner on my long wall exactly 18" from the intersecting wall. Gotta say, it sounds a lot better. Much more accurate. However, the trade off is less massaging. Really liked the near field feel. The location it's in now I thought wouldn't work, all my previous measure showed it as a dead spot, but I think that was me doing something wrong. Today it measured a lot better on my SPL meter then the 3 other locations I tried (2 of which were where my SVS's were before I build the THT). Now I'm still working through a few things, I already miss that near field tactical sensation I got at a low volume, so there's that. Then for some odd reason my receiver (Audyssey XT) set the sub distance at 21.6' - not kidding. It's only 9' away from the MLP. It also measured my front L as being closer by a foot. I went in and manually adjusted this, but I'm wondering if that messed anything up in Audyssey. I'm really shocked at the distance. Before I ran Audyssey I manually adjusted the gain on the amp until I got 76dbs at the MPL. Then, ran Audyssey, which set my distance at 21' and -2.5 on the sub level. Well, I cranked that up to +3, but still don't get that whole body sensation until I'm around -20 - -18. By then it's loud, really loud. Not that I mind, but my wife's another story.

Any tips for getting that near field sensation back at lower volume? I could always put the sub back where it was originally and live with muddy bass :bash: Or, just freaking deal with a wife who's going to be telling me to "turn it the f*ck down" a lot :lol: :lol:

Anyway, seriously thrilled. Can't wait to really throw some stuff at her (the sub, not the wife) and see how she does. Either way, I know I'm going to build another either this winter or next spring. Thinking about doing a 30" version for near field. Or, maybe a baby 20" baby THT. Thanks Bill for the awesome design. I love it and really glad to finally have a sub that shakes everything in my house. My whole basement rattles, so now I've got to fix those. It never stops. :lol:

THT Build

howiez

#112 Post by howiez »

Are you running any EQ? Maybe the boom is more a result of that fat bottom end and you need to smooth her out? I've seen enough mention of it in forums. I scored a Behringer DSP1124p off fleabay just in case. Actually using it with my current sub until i finish my build. I as able to coax a little more low end out of her, so i have some ear candy until the THT is complete.

As for your sub distance, I think i've seen mention of that in the forums here. IIRC Bill said add the length of the horn on to the sub physical distance and you'll be close to that number!

jimbo7

#113 Post by jimbo7 »

From the archives I found that the horn length of a THT is about 396cm/13'. So it's very close in that regard, but I think you might have to do some math
BFM builds:
XF212
T24 BP102 24"
2x SLA's 6-5" mids, 9- gt-302's
2x AT 14" MCM 55-2421
TrT 5" MCM 55-2421
AT 18" JBL GTO804
2x OT12 flat array
2x SLA Pro 2-Alpha 6's 2-Goldwoods
2x T39 24" 3012lf
Simplex 10 BP102

iamlowsound

#114 Post by iamlowsound »

The other distance was correct, it was taking horn length into the equation.

lowsound

Rowan611

#115 Post by Rowan611 »

iamlowsound wrote:The other distance was correct, it was taking horn length into the equation.

lowsound
jimbo7 wrote:From the archives I found that the horn length of a THT is about 396cm/13'. So it's very close in that regard, but I think you might have to do some math
WOW. Ok then. I will change it back. Thank you guys!

THT Build

Rowan611

#116 Post by Rowan611 »

Back from the dead. I will be adding two more THTs to my theater. I already have everything except the BB. Drives are already broken in. Just want to get another cut table built. I took the other one apart before we moved. I’ll post pics along the way. Looking forward to using my circular saw sled and track.

THT Build

Tom Smit

#117 Post by Tom Smit »

Hey, hey! Welcome back!
How is the 4 year old THT doing?
TomS

Rowan611

#118 Post by Rowan611 »

Tom Smit wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:29 am Hey, hey! Welcome back!
How is the 4 year old THT doing?
She’s rocking and rolling. She has a sister that I picked up awhile back. Looking forward to having 4.

THT Build

m_ms

#119 Post by m_ms »

@Rowan611 --

Great thread.

You mentioned that your previous subs were from SVS. What model were they (I assume you used a pair?), if I may ask? How would you describe the difference in bass (and impact) of the SVS's compared to your current THT subs? Please elaborate, if memory serves you well :)

I own a single SVS SB16-Ultra, and will replace it with the THTLP (likely 36" width) later this year.

Rowan611

#120 Post by Rowan611 »

m_ms wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:07 pm @Rowan611 --

Great thread.

You mentioned that your previous subs were from SVS. What model were they (I assume you used a pair?), if I may ask? How would you describe the difference in bass (and impact) of the SVS's compared to your current THT subs? Please elaborate, if memory serves you well :)

I own a single SVS SB16-Ultra, and will replace it with the THTLP (likely 36" width) later this year.
Hi. Sorry for not replying sooner. I don’t visit enough, lol.

I had 2 old 20-39 cyclinders. The difference in bass was substantial. There really is no fair comparison between an old SVS cylinder and a horn sub. One THT destroyed both my cyclinders....and I’m not exaggerating. I would build 2 THTLP to replace your 16.

As for my current build. It’s going slow. I’ve got the 5x5 sheets broken down into 23.5” boards. I’ve got the sides done but have yet to cut the windows. I’m sick now....so I’ve been ordered by my boss (see wife) to sit and relax. :cussing:

I’m planning on taking my time with these...so not too concerned with the time issue. My 7702mkII took a dump, so now I’m running everything via my Oppo 203 and going through a MiniDSP 10x10. So, I’ve also been leaning how to use that for my LCRs.

THT Build