THT Build in progress

Post your build odyssey here.
Rowan611

Re: Ramping up for THT build.

#61 Post by Rowan611 »

Thank you. It made sense that you were talking about the back and not the front. Just wanted to make sure. I will check that link out.

Thank you!
1299s L/C/R | Volt8s | Crown amps | 24" THT x 4| Minidsp 10x10 2x4HD | Panamax 5300PM | LG 65B6 | Oppo 203 | Crowsons | HoverBoss | Behringer NX amps

THT Build

MTB goat

#62 Post by MTB goat »

I just made a simple box today for my BASH300 amp with some scrap MDF that was laying around.. You can see a pic of it on page 2 off my "no square cuts 15x15x60 TTLS" thread. It works for now, and I have to say that I'm looking forward to hearing it when my sub is done. The knobs and switches feel nice, pretty stout. better quality than I thought it would be for $125 I will probably finish it with paint or maybe some of that carbon fiber wrap. I can see it's way more power than I need already. barely turned it up 1/4 power and the driver was going nuts! that Tang Bang really has some travel. probably be about right for two TTLS subs I imagine.

I'm not sure if the other post was talking about a cover over the faceplate? I don't think it would be a good idea to totally enclose the faceplate of the amp. in just the few hours I have been breaking in my driver, it gets warm. I believe the faceplate is like a heatsink and should have some free air around it. I wouldn't put any thing over it.

Rowan611

#63 Post by Rowan611 »

MTB goat wrote:I just made a simple box today for my BASH300 amp with some scrap MDF that was laying around.. You can see a pic of it on page 2 off my "no square cuts 15x15x60 TTLS" thread. It works for now, and I have to say that I'm looking forward to hearing it when my sub is done. The knobs and switches feel nice, pretty stout. better quality than I thought it would be for $125 I will probably finish it with paint or maybe some of that carbon fiber wrap. I can see it's way more power than I need already. barely turned it up 1/4 power and the driver was going nuts! that Tang Bang really has some travel. probably be about right for two TTLS subs I imagine.

I'm not sure if the other post was talking about a cover over the faceplate? I don't think it would be a good idea to totally enclose the faceplate of the amp. in just the few hours I have been breaking in my driver, it gets warm. I believe the faceplate is like a heatsink and should have some free air around it. I wouldn't put any thing over it.
Right on, I'll check it out.

Its a cover for the back that allows you to get into the back without either unscrewing the back or breaking the back off if you glue it. The face plate would be left open.

Thanks for letting me know!
1299s L/C/R | Volt8s | Crown amps | 24" THT x 4| Minidsp 10x10 2x4HD | Panamax 5300PM | LG 65B6 | Oppo 203 | Crowsons | HoverBoss | Behringer NX amps

THT Build

Rowan611

#64 Post by Rowan611 »

Just ordered a plunge router (Bosch 1617EVSPK). I had a line on a used one, but he decided to sell it to someone else willing to pay $15 more. Apparently peoples word doesn't mean that much anymore. Anyway, I've been looking at bits and HOLY SH*T they're expensive. I figure I only need 2 now, a straight bit and roundoff bit. Any preferences on bits? I literally know nothing about router bits.

Thanks! My PE order will be here tomorrow, a full day ahead of schedule. Plan on breaking in the driver starting tomorrow, so that's out of the way. Hope to start the build this weekend.

It cool to buy new toys, but damn did it make this more expensive then I originally anticipated. The good thing is I now have the tools I need to build stuff for the house. :hyper:

THT Build

DJPhatman

#65 Post by DJPhatman »

Rowan611 wrote:I figure I only need 2 now, a straight bit and roundoff bit. Any preferences on bits? I literally know nothing about router bits.
Again, check out Harbor Freight Tools. 3/8" roundover, 1/4" spiral bit, and the brass guide collars, for following patterns. Make a handle pattern, 1/8" larger on all edges, and a jack plate pattern, or, buy them from Leland at www.speakerhardware.com.
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

Bruce Weldy

#66 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Get a flush cut bit with the bearing on top and one with the bearing on bottom. You can get a decent round over kit at lowe's that has three sizes. That's all you need to get started.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Rowan611

#67 Post by Rowan611 »

Thanks guys! I'll check'em out.

THT Build

Rowan611

#68 Post by Rowan611 »

A nice list of toys arrived today

- new clamps
- Jasper Jig
- PE order
- GearWrench

Tomorrow will be my router.

I'm breaking in the driver. So, that's one step I won't have to worry about. :hyper:
Breakin.smll.jpg

THT Build

Rowan611

#69 Post by Rowan611 »

What are you guys paying for 5x5 or 4x8 BB.

Local here in MN I've found 5x5 for $48 and 4x8 for $58. The 4x8 have to be ordered from Menards.

Menards has the Arauco ACX for $33 for a 4x8. Is the BB worth the extra $45?

THT Build

escapemcp

#70 Post by escapemcp »

Rowan611 wrote:Just ordered a plunge router (Bosch 1617EVSPK). I had a line on a used one, but he decided to sell it to someone else willing to pay $15 more. Apparently peoples word doesn't mean that much anymore. Anyway, I've been looking at bits and HOLY SH*T they're expensive. I figure I only need 2 now, a straight bit and roundoff bit. Any preferences on bits? I literally know nothing about router bits.
I bought a cheap set of bits from eBay. About £12 ($20) and they have done me proud. All the bits are as good as new after building 4 Tuba 30s and a couple of Otops. I also knew nothing about router bits before I bought this set. Now I know which are invaluable and which are useless for everything but the most specialized of jobs!

I also added a top bearing bit (i.e. a pattern follower) to add to the bottom bearing bit (5th along, top row) - that cost me another £3 ($5). Again, this was after discovering just how useful pattern following bits were, and getting pissed off that I always had to have my 'pattern' piece on the underside when using the bottom bearing bit.

Now I know that a few members will be cringing at spending that little on router bits, but for what I require they have been perfect. If you are doing more woodworking than just building cabs, then for sure spend a little(/a lot) more. There usually ends up being so many little extra bits and bobs that you buy when building, I opted for the 'buy cheap' option. That way if I buy something I don't really need (but thought I did), I haven't spent a fortune on it. You will discover your MVTs (most valuable tools) as you go along and you can then spend a little extra on them down the line, when you aren't investing all your spare cash into making a large wooden box :D

Rowan611

#71 Post by Rowan611 »

Thanks escapemcp. Might look into those. I have a Freud 1/4 double flute headed my way, seeing as I absolutely need that first. I'll look into the rest sometime next month. I'm thinking a few roundover bits and maybe some brass guide collars. Found a nice article on router techniques here --> http://www.woodsmithshop.com/download/7 ... niques.pdf

THT Build

howiez

#72 Post by howiez »

Rowan611 wrote:What are you guys paying for 5x5 or 4x8 BB.

Local here in MN I've found 5x5 for $48 and 4x8 for $58. The 4x8 have to be ordered from Menards.

I paid $35 for the 4x8 Arauco ACX from Menards, they had 4x8 BB for just north of $60 for special order. It sure sounds like it's worth it from what I've read here. I'm sure someone will chime in. That being said, the Arauco looks ok, I had to pick through the stack to get one with decent sides (i'm staining mine to hide it as an end table). My plan is to build 1 to work the kinks out. If all goes well and the WAF kicks in, we may build the 2nd in BB, who knows.

Bruce Weldy

#73 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Rowan611 wrote:Thanks escapemcp. Might look into those. I have a Freud 1/4 double flute headed my way, seeing as I absolutely need that first. I'll look into the rest sometime next month. I'm thinking a few roundover bits and maybe some brass guide collars. Found a nice article on router techniques here --> http://www.woodsmithshop.com/download/7 ... niques.pdf

When I bought my Bosch (just like yours), I got all the collars and everything. I've yet to use the collars, but I use the pattern bits all the time.

So, go for the bits first - then the collars when you have a project that really needs 'em. These cabs don't.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Bruce Weldy

#74 Post by Bruce Weldy »

For BB, stay away from the big box stores. Find a lumber supplier - the guys that sell to the cabinet shops. There is one around somewhere. Call the cabinet makers and ask where they buy theirs (it aint' Menard's, HD, or Lowes).

We pay under $30 for 5x5 BB down here.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

Rowan611

#75 Post by Rowan611 »

Bruce Weldy wrote:

For BB, stay away from the big box stores. Find a lumber supplier - the guys that sell to the cabinet shops. There is one around somewhere. Call the cabinet makers and ask where they buy theirs (it aint' Menard's, HD, or Lowes).

We pay under $30 for 5x5 BB down here.

Bruce and howiez, thanks for the replies. The place I found the 5x5 is a lumber supplier in Minneapolis. It's the only place I've found that stocks BB.

Thanks for the info on the bits. Was going to wait on the collars.

THT Build