Table Tuba Build

Post your build odyssey here.
Michael Ewald Hansen

Re: Table Tuba Build

#31 Post by Michael Ewald Hansen »

ecut1 wrote:Also, why not just build a third TLAH as a center channel?

I'm very new to the diy home audio scene so I apologize if that's a dumb question.
That would be the best option, if you can fit it behind your screen? The reason for the curved SLA is that most people dont have room for a 3 feet high center channel - as they can only fit a horisontal speaker - hence the need for a curved SLA :)
Authorized Builder - Denmark
Check out the BFM Facebook page

ecut1

#32 Post by ecut1 »

So the TLAH has to be mounted vertically? I was thinking why not just mount a TLAH right under the screen horizontally...

Michael Ewald Hansen

#33 Post by Michael Ewald Hansen »

ecut1 wrote:So the TLAH has to be mounted vertically? I was thinking why not just mount a TLAH right under the screen horizontally...
The thing about line arrays is that they have great dispersion horisontally and very limited dispersion on the vertical axis, so if you lay down a TLAH you will have laser-like sound from your centerchannel - which sucks.. Thats why Bill designed the curved SLA to compensate for the bad dispersion of a flat array..

ecut1

#34 Post by ecut1 »

Okay, I'm going to plan on the TLAH for right and left and the curved SLA for a center. First things first though and that is the plan with the TT's. I'm set on building a second even if the front towers aren't sitting on them.

Last night I was playing some music while sitting on the couch and I noticed that when I stand up the bass sounds MUCH better. I'm assuming the sound is getting muffled out by the end of the sectional. You can see what I'm talking about in the pictures of the room setup. I'm going to try putting the TT in the opposite corner and see how it sounds.

My question is this... looking at the pics of my room setup how would you all recommend corner loading the mouths of the TT's? The first one can sit in the left corner and either fire into the wall under the screen or the wall to the left and be closer to the corner. The second one isn't built yet so I have some time to figure this out. Or maybe I'm just thinking this through WAY too much and corner loaded is corner loaded no matter which wall the mouth fires into?

koturban

#35 Post by koturban »

ecut1 wrote:Okay, I'm going to plan on the TLAH for right and left and the curved SLA for a center. First things first though and that is the plan with the TT's. I'm set on building a second even if the front towers aren't sitting on them.

Last night I was playing some music while sitting on the couch and I noticed that when I stand up the bass sounds MUCH better. I'm assuming the sound is getting muffled out by the end of the sectional. You can see what I'm talking about in the pictures of the room setup. I'm going to try putting the TT in the opposite corner and see how it sounds.

My question is this... looking at the pics of my room setup how would you all recommend corner loading the mouths of the TT's? The first one can sit in the left corner and either fire into the wall under the screen or the wall to the left and be closer to the corner. The second one isn't built yet so I have some time to figure this out. Or maybe I'm just thinking this through WAY too much and corner loaded is corner loaded no matter which wall the mouth fires into?
Sounds like a null to me.

Two TT's, appropriately positioned, will help.

Where you would like them and where they sound best, may not be the same.

ecut1

#36 Post by ecut1 »

Yeah, exactly. I read a very long power point-ish document that was linked on this site about where to place your subs in the room. There's three possible locations (with current furniture) for these two subs and none of them was the "optimal" place suggested. I figure I'm pretty much limited to these two spots - left and right corners under the screen. As long as I have the two locations in mind should I be concerned where the mouth sits on each or just roll with it? I'd like to build the second as it's layed out in the plans as flipping the image was a pain.

Michael Ewald Hansen

#37 Post by Michael Ewald Hansen »

ecut1 wrote:Yeah, exactly. I read a very long power point-ish document that was linked on this site about where to place your subs in the room. There's three possible locations (with current furniture) for these two subs and none of them was the "optimal" place suggested. I figure I'm pretty much limited to these two spots - left and right corners under the screen. As long as I have the two locations in mind should I be concerned where the mouth sits on each or just roll with it? I'd like to build the second as it's layed out in the plans as flipping the image was a pain.
Having 2 subs in small room definately helps even out room modes.. If you can, room treatment definately comes to mind as something you should consider aswell.. This will definately help to even out response of your room :)

shawn_g

#38 Post by shawn_g »

ecut1 wrote: My question is this... looking at the pics of my room setup how would you all recommend corner loading the mouths of the TT's? The first one can sit in the left corner and either fire into the wall under the screen or the wall to the left and be closer to the corner. The second one isn't built yet so I have some time to figure this out. Or maybe I'm just thinking this through WAY too much and corner loaded is corner loaded no matter which wall the mouth fires into?
Like the others said, it's really a trial and error type of thing. Look up the "sub crawl" to get an idea of the optimal placement.

I ended up firing mine into each corner at the front of the room and it seems to be the best placement for my situation. Adding a second sub made a huge difference.

koturban

#39 Post by koturban »

ecut1 wrote:Yeah, exactly. I read a very long power point-ish document that was linked on this site about where to place your subs in the room. There's three possible locations (with current furniture) for these two subs and none of them was the "optimal" place suggested. I figure I'm pretty much limited to these two spots - left and right corners under the screen. As long as I have the two locations in mind should I be concerned where the mouth sits on each or just roll with it? I'd like to build the second as it's layed out in the plans as flipping the image was a pain.
If you want to corner load, face the mouth into the corner.

See Bill's placement guidelines in the plan.

ecut1

#40 Post by ecut1 »

They'll both be firing into a corner. The question more or less was which wall (of that corner) should I fire them into?

The answer: NOT the wall with the screen hanging on it! :lol: I tried a few more placements with the single TT last night and if I fire it into the wall with the screen on it I end up with a very blurry picture.

Tonight I'm going to pick up supplies to start the second TT. Second infinity 860w is ordered.

:loler:

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#41 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

ecut1 wrote: I figure I'm pretty much limited to these two spots - left and right corners under the screen.
That means both subs will excite the same front to rear room modes. There comes a point where you have to choose which is more important, how the room looks or how the system sounds. Seldom the twain do meet. What's most pleasing to the eye is symmetry, whereas low frequency sound waves abhor symmetry.

ecut1

#42 Post by ecut1 »

Having placed this TT in about 6 different configurations (in those two front areas) I'm thinking the dual setup will pretty much take care of all the seating areas on the sectional. Hopefully the two don't somehow phase each other out or whatever.

In the back of the room there is some more seating and I'm not getting much bass back there. Those seats are rarely used though when we're watching a movie.

There's one more spot about 5 feet behind the sectional (in the rear seating area) where I could fit a tuba 18. Once I get the second TT built and see how it sounds I may go down that road. However, now I have TLAH's and a curved SLA on the brain (thanks to this forum). :)

koturban

#43 Post by koturban »

ecut1 wrote:Having placed this TT in about 6 different configurations (in those two front areas) I'm thinking the dual setup will pretty much take care of all the seating areas on the sectional. Hopefully the two don't somehow phase each other out or whatever.

In the back of the room there is some more seating and I'm not getting much bass back there. Those seats are rarely used though when we're watching a movie.

There's one more spot about 5 feet behind the sectional (in the rear seating area) where I could fit a tuba 18. Once I get the second TT built and see how it sounds I may go down that road. However, now I have TLAH's and a curved SLA on the brain (thanks to this forum). :)
Don't get hung up on placement for a single TT if your plan is to have two. Things will be different once you have both to work with.

shawn_g

#44 Post by shawn_g »

ecut1 wrote: There's one more spot about 5 feet behind the sectional (in the rear seating area) where I could fit a tuba 18. Once I get the second TT built and see how it sounds I may go down that road. However, now I have TLAH's and a curved SLA on the brain (thanks to this forum). :)
You're better off not to try and mix different subs. I'm getting away with it in my setup by using DSP to delay the signal going to my T18 (since it has a shorter horn path), but I had to do a lot of measuring with REW to get it right.

If I run my TT and T18 together without DSP, I actually hear/feel less bass.

ecut1

#45 Post by ecut1 »

Shawn, It was your double loaded 860w build thread that made me decide to build mine with the 860w. I had been thinking a single 10. Your cabinets are very nice looking! I'd love to put a full slab of wood on the top of mine but I'm sure it'd be super spendy. I thought about finding an old kitchen table on Craigslist and just ripping the amount of wood I need to make a solid table top.