Table Tuba Build

Post your build odyssey here.
bassmonster

Re: Table Tuba Build

#16 Post by bassmonster »

Very nice and clean build, but that thing is going to be HEAVY. :lol:

Do report on how you like the Infinity driver!

bassmonster

#17 Post by bassmonster »

ecut1 wrote:#1 - Tracing the pattern in a mirror image in order to flip the mouth it is a pain in the a$$! (It would be cool if a mirror image was included in the plans.)
+1

ecut1

#18 Post by ecut1 »

I put the final panel on last night. Installed the sub today and have been running it for a couple of hours. Here's a video of a 20Hz-90Hz sweep. This thing is going to tear my house apart! :loler:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAhwElTF ... e=youtu.be

Radian

#19 Post by Radian »

:lol: :shock: :lol: :clap: Great video!

Now that's the spirit!!

Make sure to put that one in the YouTube links section for posterity. 8)
Good food, good people, good times.

4 - AT
1 - TT
1 - THT Slim
2 - SLA Pro 4x6 Alphalite

Disco-inferno

#20 Post by Disco-inferno »

talking about bone rattling bass, and that's just one eight :shock: :lol: I'm suddenly a little frightened off what I'm about to build.

Tom Smit

#21 Post by Tom Smit »

Good one!

Now, once you've finished putting the trim and finish on, you'll have to isolate all the objects that vibrate in sympathy. :)
TomS

matt996

#22 Post by matt996 »

Love the vid! Incredible output from an 8" woofer.

bassmonster

#23 Post by bassmonster »

Yes, yes...the bass is strong in this one. :hyper:

ecut1

#24 Post by ecut1 »

Yeah, I'm quite amazed what a little 8 inch sub can do it this cabinet! I had my mind set on a 10 but then I was reading all sorts of reviews about the TT with 8's and dual 8's etc.

So I'm thinking that the performance on this thing is plenty for what we use it for. However, the placement is looking a bit odd to me. The room is pretty narrow and this sits in between the left front tower speaker and the end of the sectional. Ideally, I should set it in the left front corner and put the tower speaker on top of it. However, that would look very odd to have one tower sitting 20 inches higher than the other. The plan now is to build another one and put it in the opposite corner so both right and left tower speakers can be set on top of them.

What do you guys think? It really doesn't vibrate too much so having speakers sitting on top of them shouldn't be a problem. I was just wondering if having two of them in the front corners of the room will be an issue. I built this one as a mirror image so I'll probably build the next one as the plans are laid out. Then I'll have more options for placement.

shawn_g

#25 Post by shawn_g »

ecut1 wrote:Yeah, I'm quite amazed what a little 8 inch sub can do it this cabinet! I had my mind set on a 10 but then I was reading all sorts of reviews about the TT with 8's and dual 8's etc.

So I'm thinking that the performance on this thing is plenty for what we use it for. However, the placement is looking a bit odd to me. The room is pretty narrow and this sits in between the left front tower speaker and the end of the sectional. Ideally, I should set it in the left front corner and put the tower speaker on top of it. However, that would look very odd to have one tower sitting 20 inches higher than the other. The plan now is to build another one and put it in the opposite corner so both right and left tower speakers can be set on top of them.

What do you guys think? It really doesn't vibrate too much so having speakers sitting on top of them shouldn't be a problem. I was just wondering if having two of them in the front corners of the room will be an issue. I built this one as a mirror image so I'll probably build the next one as the plans are laid out. Then I'll have more options for placement.
That might work, but I'm not sure about the aesthetics if that's important to you. I built my dual TT into an end table to serve a dual purpose. Others have made them into false cabinets and such to blend into the room.

ecut1

#26 Post by ecut1 »

I'm still going to veneer them, trim with legs, coat them with black lacquer, etc. I'll just move them forward and have tower speakers sitting on top of them. Here are some pictures of the room. You can see where the TT is sitting right now (this is where I originally planned on placing it). But it just looks out of place... it creates this tiny little dead space in front of the tower speaker. It would fit in the space where the tower speaker is with the speaker on top of it. However, then I'd need another one on the other side to balance things out.
Attachments
IMG_20131028_074301_162 (Small).jpg
IMG_20131028_074651_496 (Small).jpg

Michael Ewald Hansen

#27 Post by Michael Ewald Hansen »

ecut1 wrote:I'm still going to veneer them, trim with legs, coat them with black lacquer, etc. I'll just move them forward and have tower speakers sitting on top of them. Here are some pictures of the room. You can see where the TT is sitting right now (this is where I originally planned on placing it). But it just looks out of place... it creates this tiny little dead space in front of the tower speaker. It would fit in the space where the tower speaker is with the speaker on top of it. However, then I'd need another one on the other side to balance things out.
Sell the floor speakers and build TLAHS to put in the corners and a curved SLA underneath the screen -> more sawdust = more fun = better sound ;)
Authorized Builder - Denmark
Check out the BFM Facebook page

matt996

#28 Post by matt996 »

The only potential problems with using them as stands is that it might put your tweeters too high above ear level, and it restricts your options for placement.

If you have a utility room or storage closet on the other side of those walls, you could hide the TT in there and fire it through a wall vent...

ecut1

#29 Post by ecut1 »

Michael Ewald Hansen wrote:
ecut1 wrote:I'm still going to veneer them, trim with legs, coat them with black lacquer, etc. I'll just move them forward and have tower speakers sitting on top of them. Here are some pictures of the room. You can see where the TT is sitting right now (this is where I originally planned on placing it). But it just looks out of place... it creates this tiny little dead space in front of the tower speaker. It would fit in the space where the tower speaker is with the speaker on top of it. However, then I'd need another one on the other side to balance things out.
Sell the floor speakers and build TLAHS to put in the corners and a curved SLA underneath the screen -> more sawdust = more fun = better sound ;)
I have thought about that and will most likely end up building those eventually. When I first saw them (the picture on the main page) I wasn't the biggest fan but after reading some build threads it looks like you can build them in a rectangle cabinet. I didn't like the angles.
matt996 wrote:The only potential problems with using them as stands is that it might put your tweeters too high above ear level, and it restricts your options for placement.

If you have a utility room or storage closet on the other side of those walls, you could hide the TT in there and fire it through a wall vent...
Concrete to the left and straight on. To the right is a finished playroom. If setting these on the TT's would cause tweeter issues wouldn't also hanging TLAH's on the walls cause the tweeters to be too high? (When I get to the point to build them.)

ecut1

#30 Post by ecut1 »

Also, why not just build a third TLAH as a center channel?

I'm very new to the diy home audio scene so I apologize if that's a dumb question.