2x 19" T30's

Post your build odyssey here.
Charles Jenkinson

Re: 2x 19" T30's

#16 Post by Charles Jenkinson »

I see. Thanks Chris.
2xJ12L (3012HO) switchable/melded
2xT30

Words&graphics - Audio&Acoustics - Hardware&DSP; 3 different paradigms.

Charles Jenkinson

#17 Post by Charles Jenkinson »

After marking the panel layout and drilling through for the nail fixing centre lines, i cut out the access panels using the above mentioned method, and decided to dress them before proceeding, rather than trying to neaten them up later. Then i got numbers 1 and 2 panels assembled on one cab. I would like to be able to do the same joints in the same session on both cabs but i think thats a long shot, in terms of not enough clamps and assembly jigs, and i dont have loads of room and don't want to move them a lot while the PL is going off. And finally, a note off the 5 yr old (written by mum) after I'd banished them from the garage. Evil Dad. :-)
Attachments
helpers.jpg
panelassy1.jpg
access.jpg
2xT30

Charles Jenkinson

#18 Post by Charles Jenkinson »

I'm onto something worth reporting at last. Here's how I marked the holes. Drop the driver onto its baffle spacer mounting face upside-down, and let the speaker casting webs centre the driver to the hole it sits over. This gets the driver bang on centre to the hole cut-out. The M6x40 screws have a raised outer edge, so a mild hit with a hammer marks the hole positions.
Attachments
markingholes.jpg
2xT30

Charles Jenkinson

#19 Post by Charles Jenkinson »

When I opened out the through holes to the 8mm required for the boss of the T nut, 3 out of 8 holes the face ply split off on the gasket mount face. However, this is a minor repair, and I figure its worth having the full 8mm hole through so screw alignment goes ok on refitting the driver.
Attachments
repairrequired.jpg
2xT30

Charles Jenkinson

#20 Post by Charles Jenkinson »

Here's testing the surround to baffle for rubbing. No rubbing, due to centering being bang on. Drivers shown spaced off bench so vent can breath.
Attachments
spacedoff.jpg
2xT30

miked

#21 Post by miked »

Charles Jenkinson wrote:When I opened out the through holes to the 8mm required for the boss of the T nut, 3 out of 8 holes the face ply split off on the gasket mount face. However, this is a minor repair, and I figure its worth having the full 8mm hole through so screw alignment goes ok on refitting the driver.
Don't waste your time patching that, as it's no big deal. The gasket will keep the air inside the baffle where it belongs. Out of the 32 driver mounting holes I drilled for my T48s, I have probably a dozen holes that look just like that.

I got a kick out of your missus trying to guilt you for (heaven forbid!!) doing something for yourself, without involving the family. You were simultaneously keeping the kids safe, while ensuring you can concentrate. But that's not how she sees it. Why can't little Noah amuse himself and keep you company while you work? /sarcasm Pay no mind that he's got a box cutter in one hand and is twirling a handsaw in the other hand, while doing a balancing act on the wood you've stacked neatly in the corner. Heaven forbid he gets hurt...you are supposed to be paying attention to him, Daddy, not fussing about with whatever wooden rubbish you're building!!!!

Can you tell I get that crap at my house too? :horse:

Anyway, it's coming along nicely, Charles. Keep up the good work. :)

Charles Jenkinson

#22 Post by Charles Jenkinson »

Thanks Mike. I take your point, but for me its too easy to fix, just to blob with pl and flush off when dry. Anyway, you'll like this next one, fingers crossed....

A 'stitch and glue' boat building technique used here. Mix equal parts of wood flour and fumed silica powder with epoxy to a butter/mayonnaise consistency. It's easier to build a thickness up and it not run everywhere.
Attachments
epo2.jpg
epo1.jpg
2xT30

miked

#23 Post by miked »

Dude, you're like a Medieval, Alchemist Wizard or something. What the heck is "fumed silica powder" anyway? Sand? Now you've got me wondering if I should fix mine? I need to go buy a Little Mad Scientist Bang Boom Chemistry Kit first, though. :lol:

Charles Jenkinson

#24 Post by Charles Jenkinson »

And last but not least: Bedding in, of the speaker kind. Yes, the double entendre is intentional. Aside from duties in regard to the boys, my good wife has questioned the sort of pleasure I may derive from speaker building. We've had a little chat and ive had (to have) some short amount of time off speaker building. The thoughts are never far off though - bloody hell, I've just realised I can multi task. :-)

Incidentally, there are 'pops' every couple of minutes whilst the speakers are bedding in. Whats that then? Static build up?
Attachments
bedin.jpg
2xT30

sine143

#25 Post by sine143 »

Its where the sine wave has a little glitch basically, or where it has been looped in a non seamless fashion (the wave ends not at 0 amplitude)
Built:
2x Tuba 30s delta12lf loaded (gone)
4x Otop12 d2512 loaded
8x t48s (18, 18, 24, 24, 30, 30) 3015lf loaded
2x AT (1 mcm, 1 gto 804)
2x SLA Pro (dayton pa6, 6 goldwood piezo loaded)
1x bastard XF208

2x OT212 (delta pro 450a loaded, eminence psd)

Charles Jenkinson

#26 Post by Charles Jenkinson »

Oh no, I've been dude'ed. :-) Who's the other guy on here who dude's people? Oh yes, i remember, its The Purveyor.

Just take the wird fumed out of the equation, if you're looking it up. I think that is the manufacturing process. Besides, I gooped up my epoxy to avoid using screws. If you've done screws, youre already belt and braces.
2xT30

miked

#27 Post by miked »

The "dude" sorta slipped out...sometimes I type like I talk; really quickly and without much thinking in advance. :lol: I did The Harley Trick on my hurricane nuts. Screwed and expoxied. They will never move. Now I just have to hope I don't strip anything when installing the drivers.

Grant Bunter

#28 Post by Grant Bunter »

miked wrote: Don't waste your time patching that, as it's no big deal. The gasket will keep the air inside the baffle where it belongs. Out of the 32 driver mounting holes I drilled for my T48s, I have probably a dozen holes that look just like that.
It's only no big deal for those rear mounted designs. I know you're doing an older plans build, so, for a Titan build with the latest plans, those spots require addressing to get leak free results.
miked wrote:Can you tell I get that crap at my house too?
What, again? Why do you need to do that?
You better take that gear out and earn some money with it!

I don't know what you're trying to say :loler:
miked wrote:Anyway, it's coming along nicely, Charles. Keep up the good work. :)
Indeed, looking good Charles :)
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

miked

#29 Post by miked »

I tell my wife all the time "Honey, this gear will make us money!" What women don't get is that you have spend some money in order to make money. It is the way of the world.

So, Grant, are you saying that b/c I'm using the old plans, I do not have to patch my baffle tear-outs?

sine143

#30 Post by sine143 »

I think hes saying the opposite mike.
Built:
2x Tuba 30s delta12lf loaded (gone)
4x Otop12 d2512 loaded
8x t48s (18, 18, 24, 24, 30, 30) 3015lf loaded
2x AT (1 mcm, 1 gto 804)
2x SLA Pro (dayton pa6, 6 goldwood piezo loaded)
1x bastard XF208

2x OT212 (delta pro 450a loaded, eminence psd)