Titan 48 & DR300 Build

Post your build odyssey here.
LelandCrooks

Re: Titan 48 & DR300 Build

#16 Post by LelandCrooks »

I've run both. The 18sound is a beast of a driver. More money, more output. But bang for the buck the Eminence neo's are untouchable.
If it's too loud, you're even older than me! Like me.
http://www.speakerhardware.com

Ryan A

#17 Post by Ryan A »

DJPhatman wrote: According to eighteensound, the maximum peak to peak excursion is 37mm :shock: That makes xmax 16.5mm! :shock: :shock:
Theile/small parameter xmax is defined as one way travel...so 8mm. If you're using 16.5mm for the 18 sound, then the 3015LF has 19.2mm. And max peak to peak (before damage) is 34 for the 3015.

I'm assuming that 15's with their greater SD, need more power to reach xmax, hence the 80 volts. Whereas the 3015 must be thermally limited to 60v.

Guido La Fond

#18 Post by Guido La Fond »

Ryan A wrote:
Guido La Fond wrote:(24) Titan 48's & (18) DR300's

I'll post some of my recent builds for your viewing pleasure
Really? Which stadium do you run sound for? I am interested to see this build.
Guido La Fond wrote:Oh and what driver is REALLy the better choice for the Titan 48...is it the Eminence Kappalite 3015LF or the 18 Sound NLW9300???

Thanks in advance
3015LF is probably the most common choice out of the 15's, and should provide very similar output to the 18 sound.

LOLOLOL, i dont run sound for a stadium. I live in the caribbean and apparently we like a little more bass than the rest of the world, lol. Music genres range from Dancehall, Hip Hop and R&B, Reggae, Soca/Calypso, Electronic stuff etc. And i do ALOT of outdoor events exceeding 2-3000 at any given time, my Company does Event Logistic Layout & i have just expanded into Lighting & Special Effects

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#19 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Guido La Fond wrote:And i do ALOT of outdoor events exceeding 2-3000 at any given time,
So do these guys. They use eight T60s and twelve DR280s for crowds in the vicinity of 10,000.

https://www.facebook.com/dancetronauts?ref=ts

Guido La Fond

#20 Post by Guido La Fond »

miked wrote::bull: Is it too early for that? 24 Titan 48's? This, I gotta see. If I'm wrong, I will happily apologize as I drool over the build pics. But I would think someone with the money to build and transport that kind of herd doesn't need to go the DIY route. Even if I fell into $50K or $100K tonight, I'd build 8 Titan 24's and 8 OTops 12's for my little DJ business and be done with my rig.

So, good luck and please prove me wrong; I'd love to see the pics. Welcome to the forum, by the way. Remember: Rule #1 is "Pics or no cabs." :mrgreen:

Personally i don't think your financial situation decides what you build. I have been using Manufacturer stuff for years, EAW, JBL Cabinets etc. But liquidated the company too invest in Visual, Lighting, Special Effects, LED Daylight Screens etc. But needed too get back into Large Format Sound because of my Electronic Music Event clients who i do the Event Logistics for ie: Generators, Perimeter Fencing, Stage, Trussing, Structural Prop Design, Sound & Lighting etc complain about not enough Bass coverage for. They like their Bass deep and thumpy, lol. My present Sound i sub contract use alot of these China Made stuff that are somewhat a bit inferior depending who you buy from. I have a JBL Vertec & EAW 760 Line Array system available but they are pretty pricey too rent so depending on some of my clients budgets i cannot afford it. I have been following Bill's stuff for a while now and have alot of faith in the designs...so i said what the hell.

Guido La Fond

#21 Post by Guido La Fond »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:
Guido La Fond wrote:And i do ALOT of outdoor events exceeding 2-3000 at any given time,
So do these guys. They use eight T60s and twelve DR280s for crowds in the vicinity of 10,000.

https://www.facebook.com/dancetronauts?ref=ts

Jesus Christ.......House Music kinda stuff?

Ryan A

#22 Post by Ryan A »

Guido La Fond wrote: Personally i don't think your financial situation decides what you build. I have been using Manufacturer stuff for years, EAW, JBL Cabinets etc. But liquidated the company too invest in Visual, Lighting, Special Effects, LED Daylight Screens etc. But needed too get back into Large Format Sound because of my Electronic Music Event clients who i do the Event Logistics for ie: Generators, Perimeter Fencing, Stage, Trussing, Structural Prop Design, Sound & Lighting etc complain about not enough Bass coverage for. They like their Bass deep and thumpy, lol. My present Sound i sub contract use alot of these China Made stuff that are somewhat a bit inferior depending who you buy from. I have a JBL Vertec & EAW 760 Line Array system available but they are pretty pricey too rent so depending on some of my clients budgets i cannot afford it. I have been following Bill's stuff for a while now and have alot of faith in the designs...so i said what the hell.

Wonderful... sounds like one big party down there. Hope to see pictures and maybe even video :fingers: at some point of your builds and/or events. We're all willing to help if you need anything.

Here's a video example of the dancetronauts. All the distortion you hear is presumably from the camera's microphone...it usually happens with this much bass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LyOfK-Xng4

Guido La Fond

#23 Post by Guido La Fond »

Ryan A wrote:
Guido La Fond wrote: Personally i don't think your financial situation decides what you build. I have been using Manufacturer stuff for years, EAW, JBL Cabinets etc. But liquidated the company too invest in Visual, Lighting, Special Effects, LED Daylight Screens etc. But needed too get back into Large Format Sound because of my Electronic Music Event clients who i do the Event Logistics for ie: Generators, Perimeter Fencing, Stage, Trussing, Structural Prop Design, Sound & Lighting etc complain about not enough Bass coverage for. They like their Bass deep and thumpy, lol. My present Sound i sub contract use alot of these China Made stuff that are somewhat a bit inferior depending who you buy from. I have a JBL Vertec & EAW 760 Line Array system available but they are pretty pricey too rent so depending on some of my clients budgets i cannot afford it. I have been following Bill's stuff for a while now and have alot of faith in the designs...so i said what the hell.

Wonderful... sounds like one big party down there. Hope to see pictures and maybe even video :fingers: at some point of your builds and/or events. We're all willing to help if you need anything.

Here's a video example of the dancetronauts. All the distortion you hear is presumably from the camera's microphone...it usually happens with this much bass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LyOfK-Xng4

Those things sound massive man....leaning towards some T60's too :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: but i'll start with the Titan 48's and see how it sounds and maybe build a pair of T60's as i also bought the plans for those. But could you shed some light on the output comparison of the 2 cab's (Titan 48 & Tuba 60's) ....and what would be most balanced for my kind of applications....or should i build both? Maybe 16 Tuba's or something, i have the Tools, material and the man power too get it done.

Also how the hell do i get Pictures too be 200KB or less cause the majority of my pics im trying too upload are like 500KB+

Thanks

Bas Gooiker

#24 Post by Bas Gooiker »

Guido La Fond wrote:Also how the hell do i get Pictures too be 200KB or less cause the majority of my pics im trying too upload are like 500KB+

Thanks
You could use a image hosting service like flikr, ImageShack etc. or you could resize them in paint.

Welcome to the forum by the way. Looking forward to seeing your plans take shape. :D
Life is just a game, don't take it to seriously!

Ryan A

#25 Post by Ryan A »

Guido La Fond wrote: Those things sound massive man....leaning towards some T60's too :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: but i'll start with the Titan 48's and see how it sounds and maybe build a pair of T60's as i also bought the plans for those. But could you shed some light on the output comparison of the 2 cab's (Titan 48 & Tuba 60's) ....and what would be most balanced for my kind of applications....or should i build both? Maybe 16 Tuba's or something, i have the Tools, material and the man power too get it done.

Thanks
Check out this page for the comparison between T60 and T48.

http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewt ... 12&t=11124

Can't use different designs together, so if you're wanting the low frequency extension the T60 offers, go with those. Otherwise the T48's offer more total output.

Guido La Fond

#26 Post by Guido La Fond »

Ryan A wrote:
Guido La Fond wrote: Those things sound massive man....leaning towards some T60's too :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: but i'll start with the Titan 48's and see how it sounds and maybe build a pair of T60's as i also bought the plans for those. But could you shed some light on the output comparison of the 2 cab's (Titan 48 & Tuba 60's) ....and what would be most balanced for my kind of applications....or should i build both? Maybe 16 Tuba's or something, i have the Tools, material and the man power too get it done.

Thanks
Check out this page for the comparison between T60 and T48.

http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewt ... 12&t=11124

Can't use different designs together, so if you're wanting the low frequency extension the T60 offers, go with those. Otherwise the T48's offer more total output.

ohhh ok right i get you, well i guess its the Titan 48's for now then. But i WILL build T60's too get my own reference on the both designs...(and well...it's fun building, lol)

Tom Smit

#27 Post by Tom Smit »

Welcome to the forum, Guido!
TomS

miked

#28 Post by miked »

It certainly sounds like you're in a higher "provider" category than most here. Doing event logistics as a whole is quite a few steps above simply being a "content provider" or DJ. I know a little bit about logistics myself. Do you/your company actually provide the physical equipment (audio/video/generators/fencing/etc) or are you a facilitator that subs that out? Just curious.

Are you intending on building whatever BFM cabs you decide upon yourself or contracting that out? Building the number of cabs you quoted takes a massive amount of storage/assembly space and definitely more than one person doing the building if you want the cabs done before a year goes by.

Guido La Fond

#29 Post by Guido La Fond »

miked wrote:It certainly sounds like you're in a higher "provider" category than most here. Doing event logistics as a whole is quite a few steps above simply being a "content provider" or DJ. I know a little bit about logistics myself. Do you/your company actually provide the physical equipment (audio/video/generators/fencing/etc) or are you a facilitator that subs that out? Just curious.

Are you intending on building whatever BFM cabs you decide upon yourself or contracting that out? Building the number of cabs you quoted takes a massive amount of storage/assembly space and definitely more than one person doing the building if you want the cabs done before a year goes by.

completion before a YEAR???...lol....we are presently building 2 and are 80% finished on the internals and i believe its day 2 or 3.....keep in mind we are also finishing off 4 EAW850 Replica's and 5 48X24X24 Road Cases for some Lighting Fixtures and Cabling.

No we physically have 2 Generators 100KV & 75KV....Both BARCO & China LED Daylight Screens....some small Audio 8 PRX615M and 8 PRX618 XLF.....BEAM, SPOT, WASH Moving Heads...3W & 5W Pars etc.....we sub contract the Large PA & Fencing for now but would like too expand into these fields......and yes we are building them ourselves. I'll post some pics with the workspace, it aint no professional set up but we get the job done