2 Jack 12's - first time cab builder

Post your build odyssey here.
Charles Warwick

Re: 2 Jack 12's - first time cab builder

#16 Post by Charles Warwick »

thintheherd wrote:Just like the availability of a brad nailer btw. Not braggin that I have one, but I gotta tell ya, it's the best $20 I ever spent (not that I'm a HF slut :P )
I know the feeling. Every time I go to HF I come out with more than I came for. :slap:

James Champer

#17 Post by James Champer »

Day four! (Sept 13, 2012)

If I told you I had a full day again, and then followed that up with: Hey, I should have these done today".. would you slap me?

Cause you should :P

I kid, but I must admit, I thought I might be further along than I am. Not that I haven't made good progress as I see it. It's simply because I believe I'm superman. (we'll save that for a different thread k?)

Unfortunately for my considerable ego, I hit what I would consider a considerable snag. Not life altering you understand, though I did contemplate stopping immediately for the golden beverage that helps me forget. it merely slowed me down a bit.

What was the snag you ask? Why, it has to do with the top hats. As you know, I need two per cab, gotta have that, no exceptions, the earth simply can no longer rotate unless it comes to fruition. And though I received the adjustable top hats ordered just yesterday, I decided that this pair would accept only the steel variety. They begged for it and I capitulated.

So, with that directive handed down I finally cut the standard holes in the tops and bottoms, adhering strictly to the plans (as I did for the port ducts), went to test fit and wouldn't you know it.. trouble. The position of the holes was off forcing the throat assembly assembled on day three forward about an eighth inch...

Buggers! (see what I did there my over-the-pond-friends?)
IMAG0413.jpg
Naturally, I thought there must have been a mis-calculation on 'someone elses' part (remember the superman complex?) so I double checked. Yes, I had 8 3/4" on center holes on the tops and bottoms and 3 1/2" on center from the front of the port ducts.

Say what? It ain't right? Nope.. Faced with certain death I reassessed and my options were indeed numerous (beer notwithstanding). I could shave the horn braces so that the mouth panels lined up once again, (no, didn't want to upset the geometry gods), I could cut new tops and bottoms (laziness prohibited activity) or I could shave the one hole that would not be seen in the port duct and call it good.

I chose number three. All it took was a rasp and an ass shake that embarrassed my dog and I am fine living with that decision. I just can't imagine that a 1/8 inch in that particular area would alter performance in any way. Plus only we know about it! (read: don't tell Bill - hehe)

Seems to me that the steel top hats at Speaker Hardware are perhaps larger than the plastic variety Bill recommends and therefore require a larger hole. Of note, I actually cut a dummy "bottom", marked the center (corner to corner cross locate) and THAT was about a 1/8 inch wrong in the other direction. Given that, I can only come to the conclusion that, instead of 8 3/4" off of the front edge of the bottom (or top for two) one should actually use 8 7/8" for those particular top hats. (yes, it was the same for both boxes before I'm grilled)

The best part that is it was the only thing that didn't go according to plan (okay, unless you hold me to the "I'll be listening to these before supper" thought I had in my head - you nazis).

I did however, manage to whip through a great deal of assembly today that I'm rather proud of. By the way, did you hear me mention the horn supports? Well, I noticed that there are no measurements for the optional hole. As a quick tip, and for a 4" hole, I used 3" off the side that will be facing the rear of the cabinet, centered, and it came out with equal stuff on all sides but the one that attaches to the horn. I know, cryptic at best. Lets see if a pick can clear it up for some:
IMAG0406.jpg
As the pic is oriented, I merely marked a center east to west, and do you see the edge(s) that are closest to the center of the image? (each one, doesn't matter) I then measured 3" in to that center.

If that makes little sense I apologize. It is late and I am toasting my progress :P

After the top hat fiasco I then began the throat assembly to top/bottom- and that went without a hitch (thanks again you god of a brad nailer!).
IMAG0417.jpg
IMAG0419.jpg
I then forged head-first into the throat reflectors attachment- also stellar!
IMAG0422.jpg
Of course, rounding those edges wouldn't have been possible without my high-dollar custom bench belt sander. Don't know what I would do without it. It's another upgrade from the model I originally purchased. Unfortunately, the clamp wasn't part of the kit :(

Aside from that obviously advanced and rather enviable piece of engineering, I think this is a good time to take an opportunity to toot my own horn again (surely to bite me later, but hey- future forum fun!). I keep reading on or about these forums that one should not mess with PL before it's cured, and I must say, as an obvious rebel, that I had no problem with it at all! Yes, I am quite the handyman in my own mind (and swear by hand condoms) but I purposely ran more than one finger on a seam to smooth after joining (as you would do with tub caulk) and, if I do say so myself, the results were nothing short of spectacular. IMO of course...

In fact, I found it mandatory for the throat deflectors.

Maybe it's just me, and sure, tomorrow I might find them as angry as Marlon Brando without a union contract but really, it worked just fine! By the way, as I have in days past, I still find scraping excess nearly beyond sex (after about an hour) but word to the wise is in order here... make sure your chisel is sharp! The bonus is that the skilled craftsman knows that using it then, carefully and accurately, actually reduces your future sanding efforts! (You chisel dudes know what I'm talking about)

Having said that- Got the sides on and here is where we are now-- my cabs are mere shells of themselves!!!

*whew* After a 8-9 hour day I believe my next step is installing the doohicky that holds the paper thingy that moves back and forth and does stuff and I'm sure you know how excited we are to learn exactly what that means!!

'Till the weekend...

Last edited by James Champer on Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:39 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Retired Authorized Loudspeaker Builder - Indianapolis, IN

LelandCrooks

#18 Post by LelandCrooks »

:lol:
If it's too loud, you're even older than me! Like me.
http://www.speakerhardware.com

James Champer

#19 Post by James Champer »

Day 4.5 quickie update:

I think everyone will be please to know that I awoke today to a couple of happy, happy cabinets. The seams that I treated as a tub and tile repair job are every thing I hoped for. Clean, straight, tight and content.

I know I may be obsessing about that but everyone had me believing that Mr. T was gonna come knockin' and remove a spleen or two if I even looked crossways at the squeeze out. Truth be known, I was skeered.

Not any more bucko. I can now look that PL straight in the eye and now IT is the one shaking in its tube.
IMAG0395.jpg
Take that Mr. T

Last edited by James Champer on Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grant Bunter

#20 Post by Grant Bunter »

Very entertaining, thank you :)

Where you may come undone with your smear campaign is when it comes time to paint. Being in corners, edges etc, it's not the simplest task to sand that excess off and some paints don't seem to want to become one with the PL.

If you're going with Duratex, some suggest an acrylic undercoat first, at least where the PL is...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

James Champer

#21 Post by James Champer »

Grant Bunter wrote:Very entertaining, thank you :)

Where you may come undone with your smear campaign is when it comes time to paint. Being in corners, edges etc, it's not the simplest task to sand that excess off and some paints don't seem to want to become one with the PL.

If you're going with Duratex, some suggest an acrylic undercoat first, at least where the PL is...
Hehe, "smear campaign".. I see what you did there. That's going straight into the "I wish I'd said it" file. :lol:

As to the PL, you are probably right, though, as a furniture restorer yourself (saw your blue Pearls- awesome!) you know that prep is everything to a finish. Yes, I do plan to prime/seal and yes, Duratex is the outer coating planned. The one thing about being good with a chisel in this capacity, is that much of the "slag" is cleaned up. Just how much I won't know until the finish stage. That stuff wants desperately to be clear when spread thin.

Here's hoping I don't have crow thrust on my menu in the next few build days.

Grant Bunter

#22 Post by Grant Bunter »

Thanks re the kit.

You're quite correct. Getting rid of as much PL as you can assists. Especially that thin clear stuff.

Seal coat/prime with black paint. Saves some Duratex. 8)
Built:

Tom Smit

#23 Post by Tom Smit »

Nice build.

In the background of one of the pics is an orange object that seems to needing some attention. I'll help with that if you want to send if my way.
TomS

Grant Bunter

#24 Post by Grant Bunter »

Tom,
That cracked me up!

By definition a motor vehicle needs a motor.
"that orange object" seems to be missing something(s)...
Built:

James Champer

#25 Post by James Champer »

Tom Smit wrote:Nice build.

In the background of one of the pics is an orange object that seems to needing some attention. I'll help with that if you want to send if my way.
Thanks and good eye Tom!

I knew the moment I uploaded that image that someone would notice one of my more long-standing projects.. The orange object!

It started out as simple iron ore. In a rather happy time, before Pintos were classified as explosive devices, someone was kind enough to mine, smelt, mold, assemble with some plastic, glass and other assorted tid bits, and give it to my father in Apr of '70 in exchange for some green stuff. As was customary at the time.

I bought it from him seven years later, as a first implement of teen transportation, and have enjoyed it ever since.

This is its second resto, now fully disassembled and waiting patiently for my first batch of speakers to be complete so that it might receive some additional love of its own.

Worry not Grant. What you cannot see in the pic, is the unbelievable cavern that is my garage. There are more than 400 horses just out of frame to the left. The beast(s) you speak of, borne of northern Ohio, is resting comfortably on its stand right in front of said orange object. It is awaiting it's own massage appointment.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have an appointment with a shovel. That stable is not going to clean itself.

DJPhatman

#26 Post by DJPhatman »

thintheherd wrote:Now if you'll excuse me, I have an appointment with a shovel.
So, now you've taken to beating the PL into submission! :loler: :noob: :hyper: :bash:
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

James Champer

#27 Post by James Champer »

DJPhatman wrote:
thintheherd wrote:Now if you'll excuse me, I have an appointment with a shovel.
So, now you've taken to beating the PL into submission! :loler: :noob: :hyper: :bash:
Somebody's got to!! :lol:

Grant Bunter

#28 Post by Grant Bunter »

thintheherd wrote: Worry not Grant. What you cannot see in the pic, is the unbelievable cavern that is my garage. There are more than 400 horses just out of frame to the left. The beast(s) you speak of, borne of northern Ohio, is resting comfortably on its stand right in front of said orange object. It is awaiting it's own massage appointment.
Shheeesh your garage must be huge. I have 300 head of cattle and they occupy my farm...
400 horses in your garage???

Just joshin, makes my beloved '73 Holden (GMH) LJ Torana with it's blueprinted balanced 186 cubes seam paltry. With a curb weight of 2200lbs it has a great power to weight ratio, but like many small sedans, hard to stop!

Apologies for the sidestep...
Built:

James Champer

#29 Post by James Champer »

Day five (Sept 15, 2012)

Okay, though I got a lot done this weekend I have put off recording it here because of couple of incidences that forced me into a bout with depression. First thing Sat morning we ended up putting my 14yo beagle down. After a full happy life, she had just had enough. Not gonna bring the house down any further with talk about that.

Secondly, my 85yo mother-in-law went into the hospital with heart trouble, a stent made her right as rain. Same house rules apply.

Typical of me, I put my energy into whatever project happen to be working on, that is, after the sorrow hangovers subside. So what progress have we made so far? Well, let's see. When the haze above cleared, I realized that it was time to mount the driver spacer. Jumping in, I looked at the plans and thought.. "Just how weird is it going to be, mounting the driver to the plate after it is mounted to the baffle?". I wanted the 1/8 space to be uniform after all.

Being the rebel that I am, I thought.. "Hey, what if I simply marked the holes beforehand?"

All that thinking was making me thirsty, so I grabbed some Pepto and away I went.
IMAG0429.jpg
Like a charm! I then mounted it to the baffle and it was sweet. Drilled the holes, used the screws as clamps and later test mounted the drivers only to be met with perfection!

So on to the phase plugs. I measured, per the plans, and mine were to be but one inch deep. Having purchased an entire 4x8 sheet of the pink, rigid, closed cell foam, I set out to whittle a quad of 5x1/2" plugs and donate the rest to science (read: the back of my garage to be used later).

I used the table saw trick- drilling a hole 2.5" away from the blade, sticking a drywall screw through the pink stuff and cutting the corners until it was round.

When you get to this point, you should be able to figure out how to rotate it against the blade for perfect edges:
IMAG0436.jpg
Watch those fingers you weekend warriors!

Now installed:
IMAG0438.jpg
Once those were glued and screwed, I moved on to fitting my "feet".

I should point out here that, in addition to my Superman complex, I consider myself mister "versatile". That is, I tend to try and imagine all potential uses for an object and what I can do to ensure that it will work a variety of situations. (Hey, I chose the "jack" didn't I? - hehe)

Well, rubber feet, in case of flat mounting, is one of those, but I went a step further and have routed identical disks in the top panels as well for stacking! I know, I'm not a genius as this has been done before but let me bask in the moment will ya?

I even made a special jig that will work on ANY of the cabinets- as far as I know :)
IMAG0439.jpg
This ensures uniformity between all as you can see. The depth is up to the master (me) and I only went about an 1/8th inch for the 5/8 x 1-11/16 rubber foot.

Here are the feet "in action".
IMAG0440.jpg
Awesome clearance when cabs are stacked but you are just going to have to close your eyes to see that.

So it was about a six hour day. I figured Sunday would be bodywork day so I rounded the corners with my router, threw some bondo on the holes and uneven bits and left them to dry.

It was a bitter sweet day and left me hopeful that tomorrow would be better.

Alas, it was not to be..
Last edited by James Champer on Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

James Champer

#30 Post by James Champer »

Day Six (Sept 16, 2012)

Woke up and wouldn't you know it? The bondo had dried! Well, actually it dried several times while I was applying it the night before, but, so it is with bondo :-P

Speaking of the night before, did I forget to mention that I also cut the holes for the connectors on the back panels as well as installed the back panel mounting flanges? I did? Well shame on me. Hornshwaggle away. You can even see in one of the day five pics my handy-dandy corner stoppers installed as spacers (another scrap win!!).

Meanwhile, back at the ranch (day six);

After sanding the bondo and cutting the holes for my handles it looked kinda like this:
IMAG0448.jpg
Okay, okay... it looked exactly like that. Now after an all out roughing up with an orbital and 60 grit, it's time for paint! Wheee!

Here they are looking all ominous...
IMAG0452.jpg
I must admit, having them look at me this way made me a little apprehensive of approaching them repeatedly with a rattle can.

To distract them, I decided to hook up my 2512's for a little break in. I figured the low rumble would allow me to spray more flat black primer without them noticing much. (shown here the next day nearly done:)
IMAG0457.jpg
While the paint was drying I decided to make the array posts. Simple enough + moar paint.

The outside of the monsters got a couple of coats of the flat stuff. The horn area got about three coats of satin after the flat. Dries quickly but that took most of the day. I even hastened the process with a heat gun. (Hey, I bought the damn thing so dammit, I'm gonna use it before it collects any more damn dust.) . (dammit)

The next thing that happened was a bomb. It was a direct hit with a reality stick. I knew at that moment (about 10pm this night) that these beauties were not going to see the outdoor festival we are playing on the 22nd.

And here it is: The last thing I had planned for the evening was a slathering on of the first coat of Duratex. I mean, it sounded logical right? Get it on there, let the first coat dry. Wake up Mon, put on a second coat if necessary before work and I'd be ready to jump headlong into assembly mode Mon night/Tues Morn Yes?

Um, no.

Long story even longer, I got all my ducks in a row, opened the gallon of Duratex and....

It was white -

WHITE! :noob:

Surprize. Shock. Sadness. Emailed Leland.

End of a 12hr Day six.

Bed or beer? Chose a little of both..

Monday's a new day.

Last edited by James Champer on Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.