TLAH Pro - CNC Build

Post your build odyssey here.
GirlyHandedDog

TLAH Pro - CNC Build

#1 Post by GirlyHandedDog »

I've decided to build a pair of TLAH pros, each cabinet comprised of a multi-element single mouth piezo horn along with 8 Eminence Alpha 8a drivers. I've seen a few TLAH build logs out there, some with 6 pro audio drivers per cabinet and others with 8+ woofers per cabinet but without using pro audio drivers. I have yet to see an official build of the TLAH pro using the recommended quantity and model drivers in the plans.... so my curiosity has gotten the best of me and I'm giving it a go.

After some shipping snafu, UPS arrived yesterday with a package from the Eminence factory. Thanks to Leland Crooks (http://www.speakerhardware.com/ and Greg Plouvier (http://www.magnumcaseworks.com/), I was able to get just what I needed at a price and service level Parts Express can't match.

I was hoping the purple hue I had seen in pictures of the alpha 8a was due to poor photography, but not the case. I guess I'll be more in touch with my feminine side throughought this build:

This build is so simple I could probably complete it with a rusty hack saw and a broken tape measure; however, I'll be doing the cutting with a CNC router. Far from necessary but where I'll be the one running it I don't have to pay someone else to do it... and I won't complain about the extra precision. On a side note, I'm in the process of building a CNC router to assist in all my DIY projects. The difficultly level of building one of these is a lot less complex than one would think.

Here's my layout, with a few extras of certain pieces to use up some space on the 4x8 sheets:

So, on to the questions. I think I'll highlight my questions in red throughout this thread so they stand apart from the log. As per the plans, "some mid-basses don’t take well to front mounting, and will benefit from a quarter rounded hole when rear mounted." How do I know before finishing my baffle whether the alpha 8a would work better for rear or front mounting? If I wind up doing them front mounted, is there any reason flush (or semi-flush) mounting would cause any problems? I can't say that I completely understand baffle-step compensation yet. I think I'll flush mount the piezo array also, for aesthetics unless someone else recommends otherwise. Here's a side-view of the alpha 8a:

I'm thinking of doing the multi-element single mouth piezo horn using 16 total piezos per cab, which gives a finished length of ~61" for the horn. Would it be beneficial to install a switch that would remove 8 tweeters (4 from each end) from the array in order to give better vertical dispersion in situations where I need it? I'm also considering installing an L-pad so I can attenuate the tweeters if necessary without having to use EQ.

I appreciate the wealth of knowledge here on this forum, contributed by Bill and all of the members here. I'm looking forward to some good feedback along the way.
Last edited by GirlyHandedDog on Thu May 03, 2012 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Radian

Re: TLAH Pro - CNC Build

#2 Post by Radian »

Good food, good people, good times.

4 - AT
1 - TT
1 - THT Slim
2 - SLA Pro 4x6 Alphalite

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#3 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Flush mounting is pretty but doesn't do much for response. The plan dimensions and build instructions are predicated on front mounting.

bassmonster

#4 Post by bassmonster »

Good luck on your build! Looks exciting!

ewetho

#5 Post by ewetho »

CNC ?!???!!!?!?!!!

Cheater!

That would be jealousy!!! LOL Looks to be AWESOME!!!

lincsoldbird

#6 Post by lincsoldbird »

Looking forward to the build , a CNC router is on my build list too. I want to make mine for a plasma cut as well.
built 4 T30 24in BP102 now sold 2 DR280
2 speakerplans 1850, 2 MT102 ,2 X15, 1 G sub now sold
2 T60,s Built plus 4 DR280,s in the build

GirlyHandedDog

#7 Post by GirlyHandedDog »

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Question on tweeters. Would these 1" domes work in the Tlah pro if I had 8 or 9 of them per cabinet?:

Last edited by GirlyHandedDog on Thu May 03, 2012 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#8 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

GirlyHandedDog wrote:Thanks for the replies everyone!

Question on tweeters. Would these 1" domes work in the Tlah pro if I had 8 or 9 of them per cabinet?:
Maybe. You'd be better off with two per woofer.

Dan30

#9 Post by Dan30 »

If you don't like the maroon cone paper you can always attach a grill.
T39 24" 3012lf (1 built 1 in progress)
SLA Pro x 2
Yamaha S112V x 1
QSC RMX 2450
dbx Driverack PA

BassMe

#10 Post by BassMe »

Looks like it is going to be a fun thread. If you dont mind could you link the source of those tweeters? Thanks.

Edit:

Nvm found em. If your interested these tweets are very similair and half the price:

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/si ... truncated/

I have some links to some seperate charts for em at the bottom of this thread so not just manufacturers charts.
http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewt ... 84#p164084

Have fun look forward to the review.

GirlyHandedDog

#11 Post by GirlyHandedDog »

BassMe wrote:Looks like it is going to be a fun thread. If you dont mind could you link the source of those tweeters? Thanks.

Edit:

Nvm found em. If your interested these tweets are very similair and half the price:

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/si ... truncated/

I have some links to some seperate charts for em at the bottom of this thread so not just manufacturers charts.
http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewt ... 84#p164084

Have fun look forward to the review.
Oh, sorry... should have linked to the tweeter above! Vifa tweeter from Parts Express inventory clearance sale: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdet ... r=264-1024

Thanks for the link on the SB. I'll definitely be taking a closer look at those.

GirlyHandedDog

#12 Post by GirlyHandedDog »

After taking a closer look at the Sinar Baja truncated tweeter, I decided to follow BassMe's recommendation and placed an order at Madisound for 36 of them. Thanks BassMe!

Unless my math is wrong, by series wiring 3 parallel banks of 6 tweeters (8 ohm tweets), I should come out with a 4 ohm impedance in the end... to match the 4 ohm total impedance of the 8 Eminence drivers.

Now I just get to wait for fedex to get here in a few days.
Last edited by GirlyHandedDog on Thu May 03, 2012 9:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GirlyHandedDog

#13 Post by GirlyHandedDog »

Still trying to plan all of the intricacies of the baffle design. Hey Bill, if you get a sec, can you help me understand this a little better?:
Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:Flush mounting is pretty but doesn't do much for response.
Where I get confused is that in the home audio world, almost everything is recommended to be flush mounted. Here's an article I had read from John Krutke's website that shows some measurement comparisons between flush and surface mounting: http://www.zaphaudio.com/mtg-surface.html

Is it the fact that it's a line array that changes things?

I'll choose performance and function over looks any day but if I can flush mount without taking too big of a hit, I'd reeeeeaaaaallllly like to do it.

BassMe

#14 Post by BassMe »

Hey,

Check the impedance charts carefully for those tweeters. At about the cross over range the impedance is actually very low, down around 4-5 ohm. In that thread I linked there is two links to zaph audio where he has done his own impedance chart measurements, which when you look closely actually reflect the SB charts as well. i dont know where they get off calling them 8 ohm realistically.

And its no problem, I have been looking for a guinea pig for them for a while :lol:

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#15 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

GirlyHandedDog wrote:Here's an article I had read from John Krutke's website that shows some measurement comparisons between flush and surface mounting.
Read it again, then consider that you can't hear +,-2dB deviations.
One thing that drives me nuts with oddiophiles is that half the time they worry themselves half to death over anything that they can see on a chart, whether it's audible or not, while the other half they claim to magically hear stuff that can't be measured at all. :bash: