Tlah pro build

Post your build odyssey here.
Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

Re: Tlah pro build

#16 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

You would connect these to the L/R/C outputs of the AVR, with the sub amp(s) connected to the LFE output of the AVR. Set the speaker sizes to small, which tells the receiver that you have separate mains and subs, the crossover frequency to between 80 and 100Hz.

Jcorn22

#17 Post by Jcorn22 »

Ok there is my issue at the moment. My current avr has no pre out rca connections. I will have to upgrade. So if I am understanding this correctly rca pre outs from avr to amps, speakers hooked to amps. I know it's easy for alot of u, new to me. Thanks for all the help!!

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#18 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

You don't need nor would you use pre out RCAs. The only external amps would be for the subs.

Jcorn22

#19 Post by Jcorn22 »

Thanks bill for helping me out. Please excuse my lack of understanding. So I am confused as to how the woofers are connected. The tweeters are connected by the x over, which then the inputs go to the terminals which connect to the reciever. I bet this is in the specs and I'm just not seeing it. How do the woofers connect? They are full range so I've got a +- wire for woofers to connect to something somewhere. I'm missing something here. Special connector before the terminal? Once I get this ironed out I'll have it figured out. Thanks for your help and patience.
Jim

Jcorn22

#20 Post by Jcorn22 »

So from what I am learning the -+ of the tweeter and the woofer all go together. I will look at specs again and hopefully figure it out.
Jim

Tom Smit

#21 Post by Tom Smit »

Let's imagine that you are going to hook up one TlahPro to the LF (left, front) channel. The speaker wire will go from your AVR LF speaker output, to the input of your TlahPro. From the input connector of the TlahPro, the positive wire (red) will go to the positive of the woofers (which will run full-range), and that red wire will also go to filter for the tweeters (connected to the capacitor). Now, the negative wire (black) from the TlahPro input connector will go to the negative of the woofer chain. The negative wire also goes to the negative of the tweeter filter.
Are your woofers wired in a series/parallel configurement? Are the tweeters wired in the same way?
TomS

Jcorn22

#22 Post by Jcorn22 »

Hi Tom thanks. I have a pre made x over from speaker hardware. It has input+- and tweeter -+. So this leaves me with +- woofer wire. With that x over, where do my woofer -+ hook up? That's where my confusion is. I was planning on going with the 4 ohm configuration. Is that a good idea? Thanks so much for helping.
Jim

Tom Smit

#23 Post by Tom Smit »

From the input + of the filter , take a wire and run it to the woofers +, and from the input - run a wire to the woofer -.
From tweeter + of the filter, take a wire and run it to the + of the tweeters, and from the tweeter - of the filter run a wire to the - of the tweeters.
TomS

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#24 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

The +/- from the woofer line and tweeter line both connect to the +1/-1 lugs of the input speakon. This is clearly shown in the sketchup model, as is all the wiring. You don't have a crossover, you have a high pass filter. A crossover contains at the very least a high pass and low pass filter. The TLAH doesn't use a low pass filter, as the rising impedance and acoustic roll off of the woofer line in the highs make it unnecessary.

Jcorn22

#25 Post by Jcorn22 »

I've got it!!!! Sorry for the confusion. First time rookie. Thanks guys for taking the time to help iron out. I love building speakers. Positive support /help is a blessing. Thanks again.
Jim

Jcorn22

#26 Post by Jcorn22 »

Good morning. I am moving slow with my tlah pro build. I have one up and running and 5 more woofers to buy to finish my second one. Just a first odd impression. I watched a couple of movies last weekend with just one of the pros hooked up. I used it for center and the left and right front. The clarity and sound is really nice. Needless to say i am pleasantly surprised. I cannot wait to hear lcr with all 3. I have a question about equalizing the system.
This will mainly be used in a dedicated theater for mostly movies. I would imagine dialing these speakers in would make them sound even that much better. Since it will mostly be used for cinema should I just buy a reciever with build in eq like audessy? Or will I get better results with an external eq? System will be 7.2 possibly with atmos. Any thoughts will help. Thanks!!

Jcorn22

#27 Post by Jcorn22 »

Good morning again. I am in the process of finishing up the cab build for my lcr tlah pros. I have decided that I am going to build tlah surrounds. The tlah pro sounds amazing for the front and i think timbre matching the entire system would be a good thing. So that being said i know the recommended 4" driver for the tlah is the goldwood, but could I use the 4" eminence driver so that all are the same? If I can, do I want to use the 8 ohm version? The 8 inch are 8 ohm, so I am assuming 8 ohm for the 4 inch drivers as well. I'm hoping someone chimes in. This is gonna be an awesome system when complete. Thanks!!!!
Jim

Jcorn22

#28 Post by Jcorn22 »

I have completed building 2 tlah pros and 2 tlahs. Mostly fun, lots of swear words. In the end a great project.
So here are the thoughts I have about both speakers. I did a sound test this weekend. I had the tlahs and the pros in every configuration in a 7.1 set up. I filled other spots with htm 12s which I do believe uses the eminence driver.
In every configuration, whether they are set up as front left and right, just one as center, and even as rears; the pros sounded by far the best. In my opinion not even close. As rear surrounds they are just amazing.
If it were me, I would build an entire cinema system with the pros. I know most think that is probably wrong, but man oh man it sounds fantastic. Just my impressions.
Jim

ketoet

#29 Post by ketoet »

Glad to hear you like them 👍
building BFM speakers isn't a hobby , it's an addiction

1 x THT
1 x autotuba
2 x dr250 melded

2 x wedgehorn 10
2 x tlah