Otop 8 future build

High power and fidelity from an easy to build cabinet.
kenkenni

Re: Otop 8 future build

#16 Post by kenkenni »

Decided I will start some pre-wiring, but I will need you guys help. I am familiar with wiring the basic speakon cable, but have never tried to
wire a combo jack. Can someone tell me if this is the proper way to wire these type of jacks. This is the D01K Jack Plate Kit
2 Speakon 2 1/4" from speakerhardware. I searched online and found a descriptive comment from a person who says they wired there speakers
in a specific way. This is what he wrote:
"When we use these jacks in our speakers we connect all of the positives (tips and +1) together. Then we connect all the negatives (sleeves, and +2) together.
This makes the jack plate "fully parallel." Then we connect the positive from the speaker to one of the positive terminals and the negative to a negative.
This means all the jacks work as an input or an output to add another speaker in parallel."

So do I have this right or is this wrong? Here is a pic.

Right-click image and open in new tab or window for full-res pic

Strange Kevin

#17 Post by Strange Kevin »

Close.

You want to use the +/- pair of #1 or #2 on the speakon jacks.
Usually the default is 1+/1-

On the 1/4" jack the "tip" should be + and the "sleeve" should be -
Attachments
Screenshot_20211120-113804_Chrome.jpg
Authorized Builder - Phoenix AZ.
Main Rig - 6 DR200s - 6 T48s (30")
SLA Pros for the smaller stuff.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#18 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

kenkenni wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:57 pm I searched online and found a descriptive comment from a person who says they wired there speakers
Don't search on line, read your plans. :horse:
You should not be using 1/4" jacks with PA. Use Speakon only.

Bruce Weldy

#19 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:52 pm
You should not be using 1/4" jacks with PA. Use Speakon only.
Amen

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

kenkenni

#20 Post by kenkenni »

Bill I bought the combination dual 1/4" + dual speakon jack plate. Not all my audio interfaces use speakon connections. I wanted
the option to use one or the other. I could just wire up the speakons, but I have more 1/4" cabling than I have speakon. Kevin I
appreciate the diagram. I kinda knew something was off when I was only left with -1 and -2 connections.

Bruce Weldy

#21 Post by Bruce Weldy »

kenkenni wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:51 pm Bill I bought the combination dual 1/4" + dual speakon jack plate. Not all my audio interfaces use speakon connections. I wanted
the option to use one or the other. I could just wire up the speakons, but I have more 1/4" cabling than I have speakon. Kevin I
appreciate the diagram. I kinda knew something was off when I was only left with -1 and -2 connections.
When you use the term audio interfaces.....makes me wonder what kind of cables you are using for speaker cables. I don't know your level of expertise, so forgive me if you already know this....

You should NEVER use a 1/4" instrument cable with speakers. Only use a 2 conductor cable. Almost all commercially available cables will be printed with "Instrument" or "Speaker". They are not interchangeable.

If you have only 1/4" speaker cables, then cut the ends off and put on Speakons.

Now, that said - if you are powering the speakers from an old powered mixer that only has 1/4" outs, then I understand (I even have some 1/4" speaker cables that I use with my ancient Peavy powered mixer in the garage). But, if you are using a power amp built in the last decade - use the speakon connections.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

kenkenni

#22 Post by kenkenni »

Sorry for the confusion. I should have typed audio devices. I have more then one amp and some of them only have 1/4" connections. My
newer amps have one or both options available. That is why I wanted to use the combination jack plate. Also, I am using 1/4" speaker cable.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#23 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Make cables with 1/4" plugs on one end and Speakon on the other for when you use an amp with only 1/4" outputs.

Seth

#24 Post by Seth »

Other than what's been mentioned, one minor issue I found with those 1/4" jacks is that they're not air tight. I can't imagine it being a huge deal breaker. But, just the same... If it were me, I'd choose SpeakOn's and make a 1/4" to Speakon pigtail adapter to use with 1/4" only gear.

Neutrik also makes a SpeakOn/1/4" combo jack. But, IIRC, it's only compatible with 2 pole SpeakOn plugs.

Corrected quote...
"When we use these jacks in our speakers we connect all of the positives (tips and +1) together. Then we connect all the negatives (sleeves, and -1) together..."
Build in process - 2 WH6, one Alpha 6a loaded, one PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY loaded

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's
One T39, 16", 3012LF loaded
Tall AutoTuba, 20" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421
TruckTuba, 8½" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421

kenkenni

#25 Post by kenkenni »

Thanks Seth. I did wonder about the air tightness of the 1/4" section. The manufacture included in the kit a set
of black pluggers that insert into the open jacks when not in use. Not sure of the effectiveness yet, though. Appreciate
the correction on the quote. It makes more sense now.

LelandCrooks

#26 Post by LelandCrooks »

Getting pretty good at Otop 8's, they're popular. It's a pretty fun cab to build too.
If it's too loud, you're even older than me! Like me.
http://www.speakerhardware.com

Bruce Weldy

#27 Post by Bruce Weldy »

LelandCrooks wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:33 am Getting pretty good at Otop 8's, they're popular. It's a pretty fun cab to build too.
He's alive!!!

Great to see you back Leland.....even if it's just a drive-by. :mrgreen:

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

LelandCrooks

#28 Post by LelandCrooks »

Yea, life has been pretty intense the last few. Speaker Hardware is busier than ever. Not as many parts these days, but flat packs galore.
If it's too loud, you're even older than me! Like me.
http://www.speakerhardware.com

Bruce Weldy

#29 Post by Bruce Weldy »

LelandCrooks wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:11 am Yea, life has been pretty intense the last few. Speaker Hardware is busier than ever. Not as many parts these days, but flat packs galore.
Glad your business is booming! My non-music business had a record year in 2020 and is 50% better in 2021. Things are cooking down here in Texas.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

kenkenni

#30 Post by kenkenni »

Hey Leland you guys did a good job on my otop 8s. Thanks. though I might need to pick your brain a little or someone else's on the
two-way cross-overs, which they also look good. I did my SLA Pro cross-overs by myself which was a good learning experience.
However, the pre-made cross-overs are kind of different. I have never wired one that was pre-made and I am trying to understand
how to properly wire them to the speakers. Looking at the SketchUp model the cross-over is in two pieces I can understand those,
but the one-board version I'M not quite getting yet and I know it should be simple. I know what the letters mean on the board, I see
what type connection I can make, but it seems different without the +/- in/out descriptions written in. For anyone interested, I
have the Prebuilt 2k ASD Comp Horn Cabs crossover networks.

Here is the board.

Remember you can right-click and open full-res pic in new window/tab.