O15TB Can i use separate amp channels to drive the speakers?

High power and fidelity from an easy to build cabinet.
Shenk92

O15TB Can i use separate amp channels to drive the speakers?

#1 Post by Shenk92 »

Hi,
Im setting ready to start my first speaker build. Im going to build a 015TB to put in my camper to be able to throw small parties out the back of my van whilst traveling the world. Unfortunately, i dont have the money to buy a PA Amp(yet) so i was hoping to be able to make due with what i have for now, namely a 85 watt, 7 channel Denon amplifier and a 200watt mono amp out of my current sub. Is there a way i can use 2 channels of the denon to drive the mids and highs and use the 200w amp to drive the lows of the 015TB? I can set the appropriate crossover points in my amplifiers and then maybe manage the tweeter level through an L-Pad but i cant seem to find the amplifier crossover points in the buildplan. How would i go about this? Many thanks!

Tjebbe

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

Re: O15TB Can i use separate amp channels to drive the speakers?

#2 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

The O15TB is sensitive enough that it doesn't need a lot of power. If you're using it in your van you should be using an auto sound amp, assuming you don't have the world's longest AC extension cord. You wouldn't be able to use a typical 7.1 AVR plus plate amp anyway, they tend to have a maximum crossover frequency around 150Hz, while the crossover to the mid in the O15TB is 500Hz.

Grant Bunter

Re: O15TB Can i use separate amp channels to drive the speakers?

#3 Post by Grant Bunter »

G'day and welcome :)

I would wire up that one cab as it should be, with all the filters etc, and run it on your 200W until you get what you want amplifier wise.

You'll be amazed a what a few volts will do...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...