NEW BUILD - Omni 15 Tall Boy in New Zealand

High power and fidelity from an easy to build cabinet.
Message
Author
Grey Owl
Posts: 215
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:38 pm
Location: New Zealand, User 1603

new pics second coat - Re: NEW BUILD - Omni 15 Tall Boy in New Zealnd

#91 Post by Grey Owl »

Thanks for all your supportive comments etc.

Today I thought, bugger it", and painted 2 coats of acrylic black paint I had over everything - mashed it into every nook n cranny as well!
Not scientific or artistic - a bit like fixing a Ford.

This arvo I then covered everything again in a thick lumpy dressing of Dtx - I've actually run out now n ordered another pint for it's third coat!
It looks OK but still pisses me orf.........

Decided I'm gunna press on with the rest of the assembly in the meantime then whack on some more coats of Dtx at the end when it arrives.

Will update y'all as and when.

Cheers
You have two ears and one mouth. Use them in the same ratio!!

Grey Owl
Posts: 215
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:38 pm
Location: New Zealand, User 1603

Re: NEW BUILD - Omni 15 Tall Boy in New Zealnd

#92 Post by Grey Owl »

Hopefully pics will load
You have two ears and one mouth. Use them in the same ratio!!

Grey Owl
Posts: 215
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:38 pm
Location: New Zealand, User 1603

trying again with pics - NEW BUILD - Omni 15 Tall Boy in New Zealand

#93 Post by Grey Owl »

second try.
Pics look weird coz I took them in my garage on their side in the sun then rotated them :noob:
Attachments
20200815_103415 - bfm2.jpg
20200815_103501 - bfm2.jpg
20200815_103609 - bfm2.jpg
20200815_103648 - bfm2.jpg
20200815_103754 - bfm2.jpg
You have two ears and one mouth. Use them in the same ratio!!

Grey Owl
Posts: 215
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:38 pm
Location: New Zealand, User 1603

Newest photos - Omni 15 Tall Boy in New Zealand

#94 Post by Grey Owl »

Gidday All
I've pushed on and installed all the cab components testing for fit and correctness etc.
My fresh supply of Dtx arrived today so have already removed everything for the final coatings.
Cheers
You have two ears and one mouth. Use them in the same ratio!!

Grey Owl
Posts: 215
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:38 pm
Location: New Zealand, User 1603

Re: NEW BUILD - Omni 15 Tall Boy in New Zealand

#95 Post by Grey Owl »

Hiya
Almost forgot to attach the sound deadening so spent some of today doing that. :bash:
Pics should be attached now.
Proceeding onwards
Cheers
Attachments
20200821_164016.jpg
20200821_164021.jpg
20200821_164031.jpg
20200821_164035.jpg
20200821_164040.jpg
20200821_164224.jpg
20200821_165123.jpg
You have two ears and one mouth. Use them in the same ratio!!

Grey Owl
Posts: 215
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:38 pm
Location: New Zealand, User 1603

New pics of cab - NEW BUILD - Omni 15 Tall Boy in New Zealand

#96 Post by Grey Owl »

Gidday
Just realised I forgot to add pics on the 18th when I fitted all chassis items for fit and adjustment.
I susbsequently took everything of again as I need to do another two coats of Dtx.
Will then start on the electronics etc.
Cheers
Attachments
20200817_184040 resize.jpg
20200817_184124 resize.jpg
20200817_183340 resize.jpg
20200817_183427 resize.jpg
20200817_183910 resize.jpg
20200817_183503 resize.jpg
20200817_183843 resize.jpg
20200817_183803 resize.jpg
20200817_184218 resize.jpg
You have two ears and one mouth. Use them in the same ratio!!

Grant Bunter
Posts: 6700
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:12 am
Location: Ilfracombe Queensland Australia
Contact:

Re: NEW BUILD - Omni 15 Tall Boy in New Zealnd

#97 Post by Grant Bunter »

Ooooo you're getting closer!
Keep up the good work. You've only go the other 90% to go...

edit: sorry mate, that's based on an old mate saying I heard years ago:
"The first part will take 90% of the time, the remaining 10% will take the other 90% of the time"
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" BP102 , 2 x 28" 3012lf.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Grey Owl
Posts: 215
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:38 pm
Location: New Zealand, User 1603

Re: NEW BUILD - Omni 15 Tall Boy in New Zealand

#98 Post by Grey Owl »

Thanks Buddy & all those others whom have counselled me during my build.
It feels like ages since I started; and, it has been!
I'm enjoying it again after being frustrated for quite a while.
My wife has almost given up on me giving her garage back to the family 😁😂😃😄
Re the sound deadening material I've stapled in, you may note that I've covered everything I can reach.
This includes covering from the side panel to the vertical bracing from the base up to the tweeter.
Will that interfere with sound production at all please?
Cheers All
You have two ears and one mouth. Use them in the same ratio!!

Grant Bunter
Posts: 6700
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:12 am
Location: Ilfracombe Queensland Australia
Contact:

Re: NEW BUILD - Omni 15 Tall Boy in New Zealnd

#99 Post by Grant Bunter »

The only place that shouldn’t be in any way blocked would be anything that acts as a port. Other than that, If you’ve reached as much as you can, it’s all good.
Did you put it on the access panel as well? If not, do so, but leave a circle out for clearance of the mid driver so it can dissipate heat.

What have you used for the deadening material?
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" BP102 , 2 x 28" 3012lf.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Grey Owl
Posts: 215
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:38 pm
Location: New Zealand, User 1603

Re: NEW BUILD - Omni 15 Tall Boy in New Zealand

#100 Post by Grey Owl »

Hi Grant,
Port has been cleared. :D
Access panel - yup see last pic in my prior posting. :D
Aha, clearance circle - had not recognised that sneaky space; thank you Sunshine. :idea:
Deadening is dense compressed sheep's wool matting abbout 7mm thick used for packaging around delicate stuff. I kin get more if needed. It was "free"! :)
I reckon she'll be alright Cobber coz we got 5 sheep for every human over here in The Shakey Isles!! :loler:
Thanks for your advice.
Cheers
:clap:
You have two ears and one mouth. Use them in the same ratio!!

User avatar
Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin
Posts: 28111
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 5:59 pm

Re: NEW BUILD - Omni 15 Tall Boy in New Zealand

#101 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

That's ten sheep for every bloke, so you're never without a date on Saturday night!

Grey Owl
Posts: 215
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:38 pm
Location: New Zealand, User 1603

Re: NEW BUILD - Omni 15 Tall Boy in New Zealand

#102 Post by Grey Owl »

Ha ha Bill. :loler:
Or should I go baaaaaa baaaaaa baaaaaa :fruit: :fingers:
Cheers
Raaaaambo :bull: :cowboy: :feedback:
You have two ears and one mouth. Use them in the same ratio!!

Grey Owl
Posts: 215
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:38 pm
Location: New Zealand, User 1603

Cross Over pics for checking please - Omni 15 Tall Boy in New Zealand

#103 Post by Grey Owl »

Hi All,
My 3 cross overs are now constructed as per pics.
These took me quite a bit longer to build than I thought; coz I had to think, use my fingers & read instructions at the same time!!
For fiddely work, my fingers are not as nimble as they were.
Used to do a bit of soldering in the past & really enjoyed doing that agin.
Not the prettiest job, which frustrates me, but I trust that they will operate correctly. :fingers:
The 5mH coil with what looks like ferrite ends for the mids, had one end with 3 sections broken off. Luckily they were still in the packaging so I just super-glued them back on. Hope that that doesn't affect it? :fingers:
I'm doing the final Dtx coat on the cab now (that will make 5) and start on installing the drivers etc. :D
Proceeding apace.
Cheers
G.O. :hyper:
Attachments
resize.jpg
20200825_123710 resize.jpg
20200825_123736 resize.jpg
20200825_123745 resize.jpg
20200825_123755 resize.jpg
20200825_123813 resize.jpg
20200825_123825 resize.jpg
20200825_123833 resize.jpg
You have two ears and one mouth. Use them in the same ratio!!

User avatar
Seth
Posts: 2229
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:06 pm
Location: Sacramento, California, USA
Contact:

Re: NEW BUILD - Omni 15 Tall Boy in New Zealand

#104 Post by Seth »

Almost there... We're all rooting for ya David!
Image
Build in process - 2 WH6, one Alpha 6a loaded, one PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY loaded

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's
One T39, 16", 3012LF loaded
Tall AutoTuba, 20" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421
TruckTuba, 8½" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421

Grey Owl
Posts: 215
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:38 pm
Location: New Zealand, User 1603

Re: NEW BUILD - Omni 15 Tall Boy in New Zealand

#105 Post by Grey Owl »

Thanks girls - really appreciate you cheering this "mature" guy up a lot.
Quite a lot actually.
Cheers
You have two ears and one mouth. Use them in the same ratio!!

Post Reply