Otop stacking brackets

High power and fidelity from an easy to build cabinet.
himhimself

Otop stacking brackets

#1 Post by himhimself » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:20 am

For those of you who have built the stacking brackets for your otops, any issues with the 3/8" screws in the bracket holes? I am thinking I should put some flange bearings into the holes so the screw threads won't tear up the plywood over time. I seem to remember Grant saying he put some copper pipe slices into his v-plates...similar idea.

Also, I'm toying with some stand ideas. I hate the look (and instability) of big boxes up on tripods. I've found those adjustable sub poles for only about $12 each, so 4 per stand is less that $50. My thought is to build a base, perhaps 3 foot tall or so, out of two pieces of 12" flat truss, spaced 18" apart, mounted to a solid floor plate (2x3 or 3x3). The 4 sub poles would mount to the four corners, with a plate on top. The would give a nice 12x18 platform for otops. Relatively easy to transport when disassembled, not too complicated to put together quickly. I'll post a sketch as I get the details figured out, and welcome any other thoughts or ideas.
2xT30 (20", 3012lf)

Bruce Weldy

Re: Otop stacking brackets

#2 Post by Bruce Weldy » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:46 am

himhimself wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:20 am
For those of you who have built the stacking brackets for your otops, any issues with the 3/8" screws in the bracket holes? I am thinking I should put some flange bearings into the holes so the screw threads won't tear up the plywood over time. I seem to remember Grant saying he put some copper pipe slices into his v-plates...similar idea.

Also, I'm toying with some stand ideas. I hate the look (and instability) of big boxes up on tripods. I've found those adjustable sub poles for only about $12 each, so 4 per stand is less that $50. My thought is to build a base, perhaps 3 foot tall or so, out of two pieces of 12" flat truss, spaced 18" apart, mounted to a solid floor plate (2x3 or 3x3). The 4 sub poles would mount to the four corners, with a plate on top. The would give a nice 12x18 platform for otops. Relatively easy to transport when disassembled, not too complicated to put together quickly. I'll post a sketch as I get the details figured out, and welcome any other thoughts or ideas.
The problem with a flat plate on the ground is that you never have a totally flat surface to put it on. You'd definitely have to have feet on it.

Have you considered the 2-stand platform approach? I've seen a few of them. You build a little platform with a lip around it for the speakers to sit on and you have two pole sockets - one on each end. With the feet of two tripod stands on the ground, you get much better stability. just requires another set of the same tripods that you have.

Maybe someone remembers the link to some pics of these.

6 - T39 4-25" 2-22" 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512 Melded/NSD2005
1 - T24
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

himhimself

Re: Otop stacking brackets

#3 Post by himhimself » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:33 pm

Thanks Bruce. I did find some pictures of a couple people that had made the double-tripod platform. That may be an option, but still looks a little janky. I hear you about the flat surface for the plate. I figured it would work great indoors, and was thinking about some "outriggers" with leveling screws on the edges that could be attached to the plates for outdoor use. And maybe pound a stake through on soft ground. We shall see... messing around to get my brackets built today. Kind of annoying - every tee-nut seems to be just a little off from the perfect 14" spacing. Arg :cussing:
2xT30 (20", 3012lf)