What are good front fills for my system?

High power and fidelity from an easy to build cabinet.
Bruce Weldy

Re: What are good front fills for my system?

#16 Post by Bruce Weldy » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:08 pm

heavybdrums wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:01 pm
Liking your idea Bruce, I will have 4 Dr250s instead of O tops, also on the stage level to the far right and left ground stacked.
Ahhhh......just re-read that you said possibly Omni 12s......

If you split the subs in that configuration, I'd use OTops - you don't need the extension of the Omni12 and DRs don't sit flat. If you are wanting a lot of sub in the middle of the stage, then just lay all of them down across the front a couple of feet apart. You'll lose the v-plate sensitivity, but that will give you uniform sound across the front.

Personally, I'd keep 'em split and v-plated with just the front fills shooting inward.....I wouldn't sacrifice overall sound for the 95% just to please the 5% who stand in front of the stage.

6 - T39 4-25" 2-22" 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512 Melded/NSD2005
1 - T24
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

heavybdrums

#17 Post by heavybdrums » Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:26 pm

You are correct Bruce, I did mistakenly say Omnis when I meant O tops, corrected now.
After finishing the two more Dr 250s I am currently on (on the tweeter array construction stage now) I will build four more Titan 39s, then on to two O top 12s.
Which I MAY use as front/side fills, or use as mains for smaller gigs.
Sorry but just so happened that this thread went to O tops in the Omni thread.
Oh boy more stuff to build!!
4x WH8 delta pro
2x WH10 Deltalite 2510
4x Dr250 Deltalite II 2510
4X Titan 39 3012lf, 28"
4X Tuba 60 W/ lab 15
FB: https://www.facebook.com/sunsoundservices/ likes appreciated

Grant Bunter

#18 Post by Grant Bunter » Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:03 pm

heavybdrums wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:26 pm
You are correct Bruce, I did mistakenly say Omnis when I meant O tops, corrected now.
After finishing the two more Dr 250s I am currently on (on the tweeter array construction stage now) I will build four more Titan 39s, then on to two O top 12s.
At least as far as the centre fill option, are you selecting Otops just because they sit flat?
They have different phase response to DR's, require different EQ etc etc, so it seems almost redundant to build another type of cab.
Having differing phase response in cabs in the same band pass is a no no.
Especially when all it takes is to build the stacking brackets in the plans for the DR250's...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 (melded array) with March 2012 plans. 2 more under way with CD horn
T39's: 4 x 20" BP102 , 2 x 28" 3012lf.
WH8: x 3 with melded array.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Bruce Weldy

#19 Post by Bruce Weldy » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:13 pm

Grant Bunter wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:03 pm
heavybdrums wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:26 pm
At least as far as the centre fill option, are you selecting Otops just because they sit flat?
They have different phase response to DR's, require different EQ etc etc, so it seems almost redundant to build another type of cab.
Having differing phase response in cabs in the same band pass is a no no.
Especially when all it takes is to build the stacking brackets in the plans for the DR250's...
Grant, it really doesn't come into play in a big stage setting like that. The front fills are like monitors for the folks right in the middle and should only be loud enough to fill a little void there with vocals....you should us an aux for them and only put vocals and maybe a little of any direct instruments.....they will hear the amps and drums from the stage.

There isn't enough volume to have an effect on what's happening for the rest of the crowd. If you were trying to mix DRs and OTops for full FOH sound - it would be an issue, but in this situation I wouldn't worry about it.....

When I worked a setup like this, it was JBL line arrays on the sides and two coaxial 15 boxes on the sides of the stage pointed at the middle a little ways out from the stage - worked fine.

6 - T39 4-25" 2-22" 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512 Melded/NSD2005
1 - T24
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

heavybdrums

#20 Post by heavybdrums » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:27 pm

Grant, I guess I was leaning toward O top 12 for front fills because of easier/faster build than Dr 250.
But I can imagine eventually wanting at least another pair of Dr 250s, if not 4 more so using a single Dr 250 center fill would make more sense in the long run, so I see your point. I can always build the bottom ground stack bracket and point it strait ahead, or even tilt down if need be, or even stack some wood (about 1/2" or 3/4") to make it sit flat.
Resolving this aspect of the system is the last phase of this expansion, so I guess I will see how much time I have after all the rest is completed.
4x WH8 delta pro
2x WH10 Deltalite 2510
4x Dr250 Deltalite II 2510
4X Titan 39 3012lf, 28"
4X Tuba 60 W/ lab 15
FB: https://www.facebook.com/sunsoundservices/ likes appreciated