Recommendations for amp receiver

Configuring your Home Theater
psjon

Recommendations for amp receiver

#1 Post by psjon » Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:56 pm

We're redoing our living room, and I'm finally going to put together a home theater setup. Here's what I know:
  • TLAHs up in corners with zero floor footprint will work in this room.
    BFM sub of some kind. We don't have a lot of space, so I'll go with a camouflaged design that doubles as an end or coffee table.
    2.1 or 5.1 sound. Not sure I can even pull off a center channel because of lack of space.
    Wifi
    Bluetooth
    TV audio
    FM tuner maybe
I am feeling like an antique since I have not kept up on home theater at all. My maternal grandfather (born 1901) was an audiophile and also built his own speakers (hmm, who takes after him?). I used to pay more attention, but I, unlike my grandfather, heard the siren's call of music-making as well and got pulled into PA gear.

So, any recommendations for what to buy for amp/receiver setup worthy of being connected to BFM speakers? What else am I not thinking of like crossovers, etc.? I also don't have much room for any kind of rack, so I need to think small.

And speaking of antiques, I looked through my history and I first posted on this forum 12 years ago! Where has time flown?
Paul
http://minnesotablue.com

Build history:
5 WH
2 DR200s
2 DR250s
2 J10s
3 T39s

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

Re: Recommendations for amp receiver

#2 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice » Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:18 pm

You don't need to spend a lot. I have a Sony STR-DH550 I doubt I paid more than $250 for. The current version is the DH590. I don't have wi-fi in the receiver, and if I did I can't imagine what I'd use it for. Wi-fi is in smart TVs, for streaming. A center channel is a must, though. When watching TV some 90% of the content is in the center channel. So-called faux center using the L/R just doesn't sound the same.