Small Church - Crazy Question

Combining subs, tops and all the rest of your kit.
Fourthlaw

Small Church - Crazy Question

#1 Post by Fourthlaw » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:08 pm

You're going to think this is stupid...in fact, I'm not sure of the wisdom of it here myself...but hear me out. :D

This is a small building that has a fairly low ceiling - 10' high at the walls, 12' central peak. Floor measures 48' long and 40' wide. Pulpit mic 12' in from the short wall.

Right now there are tons of things hanging down from above and it looks pretty cluttered. This church doesn't use live instruments other than the piano (which isn't currently mic'd). One or a small group of singers at any given time. The preacher doesn't really need to use a microphone to be heard, but it helps even things out. Purely mono. A video or two played once in a blue moon.

So... why not use a few ranks of really good in-ceiling speakers? As long as they were delayed to be coherent... I know it isn't everyone's first choice, but I'm not sure it is wrong in this situation.

Go ahead. Call me crazy.

ACUA

Re: Small Church - Crazy Question

#2 Post by ACUA » Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:41 pm

Yes that sounds like a viable solution to me. That is how my church is configured it works just fine.
Advanced concepts underground audio

J_Dunavin

#3 Post by J_Dunavin » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:31 am

Our chapel is bigger than that and we also have an overhead set up. It works...
8 - DR200
2 - DR250
9 - T24
6 - T45
1 - Auto Tuba

Fourthlaw

#4 Post by Fourthlaw » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:05 pm

Thanks! Makes me feel a little better. All I've ever known is the more traditional setup.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#5 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:45 pm

Distributed systems can work very well, but they're a PITA to install, with all the wiring and impedance concerns.

BrentEvans

Re: Small Church - Crazy Quest

#6 Post by BrentEvans » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:51 pm

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:45 pm
Distributed systems can work very well, but they're a PITA to install, with all the wiring and impedance concerns.
That’s why we have 70v and 100v transformers.

On a constructive note... not all distributed systems require delays and alignment. in fact, most don’t. The only ones that do are when you are doing ring zones as fills. Generally speaking, Down-firing speakers will work better WITHOUT delays because the zones overlap and and you’ll hear both the speaker in front of you and the one behind you in addition to the one above you. If you try to delay that, you’ll hear the smear from three different zones. My church is also a 10’ ceiling with very similar content to yours and we put in a distributed system using Yamaha VS6 surface mount speakers on the ceiling but aimed like you would expect to see a surface mount speakers because recessed isn’t an option due to the way the building is constructed. There are four zones of four speakers each, each zone is run on a channel of a an EP2000 amp. They’re all identical except for the first row. We had an issue with a member in that zone who wanted things a bit quieter, and the acoustic gain from the stage is sufficient up there anyway. In reality, they could have all been run on one 70v amp with no problems and it sounds fantastic. You can’t percieve any time smearing and at each seat there is essentially one source you’re hearing above the rest. It’s capable of quite reasonable volumes if we want it (in the 90s without distortion) although high 70s is more typical for the church. I have a sub to put in there to fill in the low end of the piano and bass, but haven’t deployed it yet.

Anyway... hope that helps.
99% of the time, things that aren't already being done aren't being done because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.