sub placement in old theatre

Combining subs, tops and all the rest of your kit.
MulletOver

sub placement in old theatre

#1 Post by MulletOver » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:55 pm

This is a really cool, old theatre. http://indianatheater.com

I talked my way into playing here for free with comedian Donnie Baker (Bob & Tom fame) later this month. I've played here before but we opened for Here Come The Mummies, and used their PA, which had 4 dual-18 subs on either side.

We're not trying to reach 120db in the balcony, though. We just need good coverage side-to-side. I have no concern about my SLA's performing, but sub placement (4 x T-39s) in this big place? I know I probably need 4 more subs (someday). What's the best I can do with what I have?

Here's a diagram of the seating areas. Only the Orchestra seating and Terrace (standing) areas will be used.
http://indianatheater.com/theatre-capabilities/

Photos of the stage and seating areas:
http://indianatheater.com/wp-content/up ... G_0729.jpg
http://indianatheater.com/wp-content/up ... 0356_o.jpg

I don't see any wall or corner fire options. There will be space available on stage, and technically I could split the subs since I can spread them beyond that magic distance of 50(ish) feet. But I prefer to keep the 4 together. I've used a V-plate for outdoor gigs with good results. Has anyone tried an endfire config with T-39s? Would that even work with 4 subs?

TIA!
Mike
(8) 19" T39s (4xLab12, 4xDelta12LFA)
(4) SLA-PRO (4x6") Alpha6a
(1) Simplexx 10" wedge

Tom Smit

Re: sub placement in old theatre

#2 Post by Tom Smit » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:53 pm

Well, it looks like you can't put them up in the ceiling. How about a pair standing at each end of the stage, spaced out from and, facing the wall? Would there be enough space for patrons to walk between them and the seats?
TomS

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#3 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:05 am

Placing them in the center isn't good with the wall being only 3.5 feet high. Split left/right on the floor against the walls would probably be best.

MulletOver

#4 Post by MulletOver » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:52 pm

So, theatre management vetoed having the subs against the walls. Said it could restrict traffic. I put them in the middle, stacked and V-plated, and they kicked sufficient ass.

What I wasn't prepared for was dealing with the limited vertical dispersion of the SLA-Pros! Yes, I know that's the purpose of the design, and it works great in typical rooms. But for theatre seating, the highs dropped off after a few rows up. I had two 4x6 cabs stacked on each side, so we wedged some foam between them to increase the vertical distribution. The top cabs have the Eminence adjustable top-hat on the their bottoms (and bottom cabs have a top-hat on their tops), so I was able to angle the top cabs and still use a small pole to keep them aligned. First time I've actually had a chance to use that adjustable top-hat, and it worked very well. Poor mans J-array, lol

Sadly, I don't have good pictures to share, just video, but it's really too dark to see the cabs.
(1) Simplexx 10" wedge

Tom Smit

#5 Post by Tom Smit » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:46 am

:clap:
TomS

Think

#6 Post by Think » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:09 am

Nice looking theatre!
Might try to hang the subs left and right against the walls and as high as possible, (almost) against the ceiling.

BrentEvans

#7 Post by BrentEvans » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:13 am

So a question... is there (or was there at some point) a theater organ in those organ chambers? I'm weird... I like organ music... :hyper:
99% of the time, things that aren't already being done aren't being done because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.

MulletOver

#8 Post by MulletOver » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:14 pm

Hey Brent,

They've updated the website and added a few pictures. One is just for you!

https://www.indianatheater.com/theatre- ... m-j0ultfg3
(1) Simplexx 10" wedge

BrentEvans

#9 Post by BrentEvans » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:58 pm

Looks like one of the stock model Wurlitzer consoles. I assume that it, like most of them, was scrapped at some point because of maintenance cost or disinterest. The destruction of those instruments is a shame when it happens. They are magnificent accomplishments of both engineering and artistry that simply cannot be replicated with electronics and computer chips, no matter how hard you try.
99% of the time, things that aren't already being done aren't being done because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.

MulletOver

#10 Post by MulletOver » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:41 am

We’re back in this theatre again this weekend. I picked up (4) more T39’s a few weeks ago, and will have all (8) T39’s in two V stacks (a W stack?) in the middle of room, in front of stage.

Also am working on some rigging to allow me to angle my SLA’s up and down. Anyone have any specs on the vertical dispersion of the 4x6” SLA PRO with 6 piezos?
(1) Simplexx 10" wedge

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#11 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:58 am

MulletOver wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:41 am
Also am working on some rigging to allow me to angle my SLA’s up and down. Anyone have any specs on the vertical dispersion of the 4x6” SLA PRO with 6 piezos?
All I can say is very tight, so if you can't stack a pair in a quasi-J configuration put them higher to expand their coverage.