Some projects from 2013

A gallery where our Authorized Builders can show off their cabs and provide links to their own websites.
Rick Lee

Some projects from 2013

#1 Post by Rick Lee »

Wanted to say "Thank you!" to those that chose to use my services this past year. It was a productive year for me- I was in the workshop virtually every day this year working on speakers or something associated with speakers. Lots of subs and mains, (mostly DR's) usually in pairs.

Thought I would post a few pics of some projects I really had fun with.

The first is of a project I was honored to be a part of- helping a client with some subs for his home theater. He is a former animator for Walt Disney Studios and his wife is head of digital animation at a university in Atlanta. They have a nice building beside their mountain top house that contains their home theater, an incredible music listening room with an amazing array of speakers and amps, and an art studio. Nothing huge but really, really nicely set up. At first we tried a long THT but couldn't get it to couple well with the room. So we ended up going with the two THT's pictured here. Believe me, there is plenty of bass.
All Klipsch speakers for the mains and surrounds. Two THT subs up front, two smaller Yamaha subs in the rear and buttkickers on all the seating.
All Klipsch speakers for the mains and surrounds. Two THT subs up front, two smaller Yamaha subs in the rear and buttkickers on all the seating.
DSC00026.JPG
He inspired me to finish my home theater, so when I had a break this is what I ended up with:
IMAG1170 resized.jpg
IMAG1172 resized.jpg
Since I have seven children it's not really feasible to have a separate home theater so we combine our home theater in the family room. The mains are a hybrid of a TLAH and a CBT line array. The center speaker is a modified TLAH behind the AT screen. Mid band absortion is incorporated behind the screen. The sub is a THT low profile. It actually works pretty well in front of the screen since I typically don't run it to it's limits. Running 7.1 with the surrounds.

The last photos are of a project that was really meaningful for me: It was providing speakers for a teen center in Decherd, TN. They do a great work with kids in the southern middle Tennessee area. They're well funded by companies in the area and supported by several churches so it's a first-rate operation. The "look" was very important for them so I overbuilt to get the coverage and spl they were wanting. We couldn't place any speakers in front, underneath, or above the stage but they wanted strong coverage in the front. I also couldn't place any subs against the walls or back in a corner and they really didn't want all the subs grouped together. So, instead of two DR250s and two T60s we went with eight DR200s and four T60s.

Standing five feet in front of the stage the sound is visceral, unlike anything I've heard before. The sound is so "in your face" it's like you can't walk through it. Very cool. I'm not a big fan of the piezo arrays but they work very well in this situation. They're running about 110 dB in the middle of the floor and it remains above ~103 dB at the back of the room.
IMAG1071resized.jpg
Thanks again for a great year and if any of y'all need help in 2014 I'm here to help!
Authorized Builder
Nashville/Middle Tennessee

bwtaudio@gmail.com

LelandCrooks

Re: Some projects from 2013

#2 Post by LelandCrooks »

Nice, Rick. :clap:
If it's too loud, you're even older than me! Like me.
http://www.speakerhardware.com

Scott Brochu

#3 Post by Scott Brochu »

Wow! Awesome set ups. :clap:
Drumming is a way of life.
ME LIKE TO HIT THINGS!
http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewt ... 26&t=11232

Tom Smit

#4 Post by Tom Smit »

Beautiful!