Securing Grill

The Jack of All Trades pro-sound cabs.
Joeytiii

Securing Grill

#1 Post by Joeytiii »

I am finishing things up and only have handles and grill to install. Before finishing I glued in 4 wooden tabs that lay the grill in flat. Wondering if folks screw the grill right to the wood or whether you use some thin foam inbetween to keep grill from vibrating?

Also, I see some builds with just 4 screws into those tabs and then some other pics with screws holding the ends in the sheath. Leland sent me a bunch of attachment hardware for this though I wonder if screwing into and through the sheath might cause a leak?

Another part of me says the grill ends will rattle against the sheath ... :?:

Seth

Re: Securing Grill

#2 Post by Seth »

Hey Joey :thumbsup:

I assume this is for your J12 Lite. I haven't (yet) built one of those. I'm sure there's actual experienced opinions to follow, but my inclination would be to do the simplest solution. Then see if there's any vibrations and go from there. Also, try your best to keep the screw length short enough to not pass through the wood block. But if it does, not the end of the world and probably not anything to worry about.

My two cents
Build in process - 2 WH6, one Alpha 6a loaded, one PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY loaded

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's
One T39, 16", 3012LF loaded
Tall AutoTuba, 20" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421
TruckTuba, 8½" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421

Joeytiii

#3 Post by Joeytiii »

Well I secured at the top and bottom and the grill was still buzzing so I added 2 screws on each side and it appears all quiet. Thanks

Bruce Weldy

#4 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Yep, four screws just isn't enough......I put 10 screws in this Jack 15 and the grill is small since it was so recessed into the throat.
IMG_2691.JPG

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."