Couple J12L questions on flatpack, assembly and driver breakin.

The Jack of All Trades pro-sound cabs.
Bruce Weldy

Re: Couple J12L questions on flatpack, assembly and driver breakin.

#16 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Joeytiii wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 6:32 am Oh yeah..... just figured out a new way to breaking the driver by running a android tone generator app through my wireless stereo. I am trying to figure out how high to turn up volume to match the output recommendations of 8 to 10 volts?

Do I just eyeball it the woofer for 1/4 inch movement?
No, go get a voltmeter. It doesn't have to be expensive - I think I bought one for under $10 that I've used for years. Set the volume based on hitting 10 volts showing on the meter.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Joeytiii

#17 Post by Joeytiii »

Bruce Weldy wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 8:22 am
Joeytiii wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 6:32 am Oh yeah..... just figured out a new way to breaking the driver by running a android tone generator app through my wireless stereo. I am trying to figure out how high to turn up volume to match the output recommendations of 8 to 10 volts?

Do I just eyeball it the woofer for 1/4 inch movement?
No, go get a voltmeter. It doesn't have to be expensive - I think I bought one for under $10 that I've used for years. Set the volume based on hitting 10 volts showing on the meter.
Yeah I have a multi meter I can use for that.

Now why didn't I think of that????
:roll:

Joeytiii

#18 Post by Joeytiii »

So I am building this cab for bass guitar only and will not be using any high drivers. I have been reading up on building the Low Pass filter and am perplexed at how best to create the joints. I have worked soldering on pc boards and when I look at the plans, it appears to show eyelets at each end of a wooden board. These were not part of the Leland's Deluxe kit so I wonder if I can just solder the speaker wire to each end?

Curious how other builders have created their own filter boards. Pictures would be helpful if available.

thanks

Bruce Weldy

#19 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Joeytiii wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:01 am So I am building this cab for bass guitar only and will not be using any high drivers. I have been reading up on building the Low Pass filter and am perplexed at how best to create the joints. I have worked soldering on pc boards and when I look at the plans, it appears to show eyelets at each end of a wooden board. These were not part of the Leland's Deluxe kit so I wonder if I can just solder the speaker wire to each end?

Curious how other builders have created their own filter boards. Pictures would be helpful if available.

thanks
it doesn't have to be pretty. 1/4" plywood. Lay out the parts where they need to go. I then drill a little hole on each side of the component. Use zip ties through the holes to hold the pieces in place, use hot melt glue all around them to lock 'em in place and just solder the wires together. No need for an eyelet board. You can certainly use one if you want - but it's not necessary.

I'd post some pics, but my new computer doesn't have my pictures on it yet.

I'm sure someone can show you some. Or just go look at some build threads. I'm sure there are pics of my crossovers in my POWERED SLA build.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#20 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Joeytiii wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:01 am Curious how other builders have created their own filter boards. Pictures would be helpful if available.
They're in your plans, and in the Sketchup model.

Seth

#21 Post by Seth »

You can do them per the plans (recommended) and you can also get creative... as long as the circuit is wired correctly (cough cough... not gonna say it :mrgreen: )
Here's what I did for my shorty 2x6 SLA Pro's, used both sides of ¼" ply on stand-offs
20200407_181114.jpg
20200407_181124.jpg

Here's what I did for my Wedgehorn 6 build, assembled on a popsicle stick
20201207_141544.jpg
20201207_131413.jpg

Here's Bruce's SLA crossover, which is almost exactly like the plans show
(Note to general reader: There's a slight wiring error in this photo, do not use as a circuit wiring reference)

Build in process - 2 WH6, one Alpha 6a loaded, one PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY loaded

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's
One T39, 16", 3012LF loaded
Tall AutoTuba, 20" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421
TruckTuba, 8½" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421

Bruce Weldy

#22 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Seth wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 11:21 am
(Note to general reader: There's a slight wiring error in this photo, do not use as a circuit wiring reference)

Oh my gosh....that wiring error will haunt me for all my days......

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

Joeytiii

#23 Post by Joeytiii »

Bruce Weldy wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 11:28 am
Seth wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 11:21 am

Oh my gosh....that wiring error will haunt me for all my days......
Mucho Gracias.... this helps alot!

Joeytiii

#24 Post by Joeytiii »

The capacitor Leland sent does not have any markings to indicate a particular flow s I am assuming it can be installed in either

Seth

#25 Post by Seth »

Joeytiii wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:17 am The capacitor Leland sent does not have any markings to indicate a particular flow s I am assuming it can be installed in either
Correct, it is a non-polarized capacitor.
Build in process - 2 WH6, one Alpha 6a loaded, one PRV Audio 6MB250-NDY loaded

Two 2x6 shorty SLA Pro's
One T39, 16", 3012LF loaded
Tall AutoTuba, 20" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421
TruckTuba, 8½" wide, 2x 8" MCM 55-2421

tallevan

#26 Post by tallevan »

Why use a low pass filter at all?
If you are using only a woofer for electric bass I don't see why you would throw away what few highs it reproduces.

Perhaps it improves the response in the mids a bit?
If so, the cabinet has naturally strong mids anyway.

Having said that, I do have a low pass filter in a woofer-only Simplexx cabinet that I can switch in and out.
I switch it in when I pair it with another Simplexx cabinet with a tweeter and filter network.
When I use it by itself, I bypass the low pass filter.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#27 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

You do so to improve the upper mids. Where highs are concerned the dispersion is too narrow for them to be heard off-axis.