Jack or Simplex for vintage Bass tone

The Jack of All Trades pro-sound cabs.
Joeytiii

Jack or Simplex for vintage Bass tone

#1 Post by Joeytiii »

I just picked up a Traynor 100 watt all tube head and would like to get one cab to do it all. We just started a 3 piece jam band playing blues and rock. I like the old school sound and play a supportive role fingerstyle. No pick or slap & pop. My only axe is a G&L L2000 which gives me any sound I am after so when I set up my rig, I set tone controls to the room and desired mix in the band, then leave it alone.

Having said all that, people seem to rave about the Jack 12. While the horn design seems to lend well to a low powered amp, I am unsure what HF array, if any, would be best for my desired sound. I am tending to go tweeterless. Thoughts?

I am also considering the Simplexx as an alternative to the Jack. From what I gather, the Simplex is not a horn design so will not get as loud as the Jack. I most definitely would be needing a 212 which then makes the cab a bit unwieldy while travelling. Thoughts on Simplex vs Jack differences?

Lastly, I hear that we are auditioning a keyboardist and possibly a harp player. My concern now is whether a single 12 is big enough, or should I consider a Jack 15 or possible a Jack 212. Our local venues are all pretty small with no more than 75 people. Of course this only will be a consideration once we get through this damn covid situation, but I want to have this thought out before I make my commitment to Leland.

Hope this email finds everyone well during the holiday season.

Cheers,

Joe Topor

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

Re: Jack or Simplex for vintage Bass tone

#2 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

I'm not into vintage sound, because I played it when it wasn't vintage. A 2x12 that couldn't take 50 watts below the A without farting out was what we had to settle for in the 60s-70s. I don't miss that a bit. I've been playing primarily R&B for the last 35 years, I use a Jack 12 Lite most of the time. I have a Jack 15 Lite that hardly ever gets out of the basement, I just don't need that much output indoors. I'd never go without tweeters. You can turn down the high EQ when you don't need a lot of high end, but you can't get a lot of high end when you want it if you don't have tweeters. I use round wounds and single coils. If you use flat wounds and buckers you can't get strong highs anyway, in which case tweeters would be a waste.

Bruce Weldy

#3 Post by Bruce Weldy »

The Jack 15 I built without tweeters sounds great with a 75 watt solid state head. Plenty of everything you'll need if you don't slap and pop. But, it's a pretty big cab to carry. I'd go with two Jack 12s and use however many you need for the application.

If the keyboardist gets in the way of the bass guitar, you can always cut off their left hand.....they shouldn't be using it much anyway with a bass player.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#4 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Yeah, keyboardists who don't know enough to stay in their own lane are a problem. If they work as singles that's the worst, because they're used to using all the keys, and sometimes bass pedals too. Ray Manzarek with his left hand tied behind his back was ideal.

Bruce Weldy

#5 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:27 pm Yeah, keyboardists who don't know enough to stay in their own lane are a problem. If they work as singles that's the worst, because they're used to using all the keys, and sometimes bass pedals too. Ray Manzarek with his left hand tied behind his back was ideal.
Yep - it's the same as acoustic guitarists who are used to playing solo. It's hard to break 'em of being the rhythm instruments too. They are used to trying to be the whole band. Hard to break 'em of that habit.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

himhimself

#6 Post by himhimself »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:27 pm Yeah, keyboardists who don't know enough to stay in their own lane are a problem. If they work as singles that's the worst, because they're used to using all the keys, and sometimes bass pedals too. Ray Manzarek with his left hand tied behind his back was ideal.
yep x2. I was definitely one of those keyboard players. One fix is to roll all that low end out of the keys. You can still get all those nice higher harmonics to get the keyboard essence, especially with piano, without muddying up the bass player's domain.
2xT30 (20", 3012LF)
2xT30 (21", 3012LF)
4xOtop J-array (Beta12, melded/straight piezos)
Truck Tuba (MCM)
Next up: 2xJack12 or family of table tubas

Bruce Weldy

#7 Post by Bruce Weldy »

himhimself wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:01 pm
yep x2. I was definitely one of those keyboard players. One fix is to roll all that low end out of the keys. You can still get all those nice higher harmonics to get the keyboard essence, especially with piano, without muddying up the bass player's domain.
I always put a high pass of at least 100hz and sometimes higher on Keys....

Wasn't a problem with most the old rock and blues organ players - they played with the right hand and were constantly fiddling with the drawbars on the B3 with the left.....never heard a lick of difference in the changes they made - but, hey - it kept that left hand out of the way!

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

Joeytiii

#8 Post by Joeytiii »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:03 pm I'm not into vintage sound, because I played it when it wasn't vintage. A 2x12 that couldn't take 50 watts below the A without farting out was what we had to settle for in the 60s-70s. I don't miss that a bit. I've been playing primarily R&B for the last 35 years, I use a Jack 12 Lite most of the time. I have a Jack 15 Lite that hardly ever gets out of the basement, I just don't need that much output indoors. I'd never go without tweeters. You can turn down the high EQ when you don't need a lot of high end, but you can't get a lot of high end when you want it if you don't have tweeters. I use round wounds and single coils. If you use flat wounds and buckers you can't get strong highs anyway, in which case tweeters would be a waste.
Well Bill, I appreciate the feedback. Sounds like the Jack 12lite may be the way to go. I do run flats on the L2k though I am leaning towards a small tweeter array right now.

AntonZ

#9 Post by AntonZ »

I find it adds a little air if you will. Subtle, but it is there.
If you add tweeters you can add a toggle and switch them off. If you don't have them you can't switch them on.

A rather unexpected bonus for me was that it really makes a difference on fretless. Even with flatwounds. You make no mention of fretless. If you think you might ever give that a try you will be happy with some tweeters. Just a half height array of piezo's is enough for bass. Cross firing is best but certainly no necessity.

Please do report back on your findings, whatever you decide to build, as I can relate to the kind of tone you are after.