My Jack 10

The Jack of All Trades pro-sound cabs.
jallen97

My Jack 10

#1 Post by jallen97 »

I built a Jack 10 with a melded array quite a few years back. Great speaker! I haven’t had much use for it for a bit but when I learned of these little amp boards with built in DSP I thought it would be great to add one on and have a nice little powered speaker.
Only thing is my woofer seems to have some distortion in what sounds to me like the top of it’s range. Also when playing bass guitar through it I get some break up on low G, G#, and A.
Does it sound like I may have blown the woofer(Beta 10)?
Could the filter be blown?
Any ideas for me?
Thank you!!!

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

Re: My Jack 10

#2 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

The first thing to do is to try it with an amp that didn't do this in the past.

jallen97

#3 Post by jallen97 »

Oh right! Tried it with a different amp. Didn’t seem to make a difference. But!... I think my ears may have been playing tricks on me as far as the top end of the woofer goes. 🙈
I think maybe the source material was a little distorted and for whatever reason(maybe just a difference in EQ) that distortion was more prominent. It’s crazy how my brain can start playing tricks on me when I am really focused on trying to dial in sound.
Thank you for your help and for the great designs!!

jallen97

#4 Post by jallen97 »

So as I have been looking and listening to my Jack, I am wondering if the dome of the speaker is vibrating against the plug extension... mostly on low G,G# and A. Does this seem like a possibility? Any ideas on how I might remedy it? Should I just try to figure out how to get a little more space there? Maybe try to make the spacer a little bigger getting the woofer set back a bit?
Thank you so much!!!

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#5 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

If it's hitting it would be just the tip of the dome, so you could use a forstner or spade bit to drill out some material in the center of the extension. Adding another 1/4 inch to the spacer is a possibility too. But the Beta 10 only has 3mm xmax, so you might be just overpowering it.

jallen97

#6 Post by jallen97 »

Perfect. I will try one of those and see how it goes. I have wondered about upgrading to one of the better drivers as well.
Thank you!!