Retrofit J15 melded array

The Jack of All Trades pro-sound cabs.
Preston

Retrofit J15 melded array

#1 Post by Preston » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:37 pm

I have two J15 that I originally built for bass guitar duty without the HF section. They are not being used. I sometimes have need for for a simple full-range "speaker on a stick" PA where I need more end than an OT12 will provide but a T48 would be overkill and too much work. I think that retro-fitting a melded array and crossover and some top hats into the Jacks wouldn't be that difficult. Has anybody every done this before? Advice, tips?

whines

Re: Retrofit J15 melded array

#2 Post by whines » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:04 pm

I've built J15's with the array, and I feel like adding the array should be easy. Adding the pole mount may be a challenge though, doesn't it go through some internals that have to be sealed around it?
2xJ15, THT, 4xT39 3012 (2x15", 2x20"), 2xSLA Pro, 2x short SLA Pro (Dayton), W6

DJPhatman

Re: Retrofit J15 melded array

#3 Post by DJPhatman » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:02 am

I'm guessing you built out of 1/2" plywood... pick up enough 3/4" half-round hardwood trim equal to the height of your J15 times 4, plus another 12", and a 3/4" hole saw. Cut 8 1/2" thick pieces of the trim. cut 4 pieces the lenght of the external height of the cab.

Build your array. Use the array to mock the placement on the outside of the J15, and make a simple drilling jig (this is important). Use the drilling jig and the hole saw to make 2 holes through the "top". Carefully mark and drill through the "bottom". Insert the half-round trim, using the array as an angle guide. PL the half-round into the drilled hole, and immediately add in the 1/2" wide cut-offs. Allow the PL to cure, sand and DuraTex the new array mounts, then attach your array.
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice