Closed Back XF 212

Guitar cabs both you and your audience can hear better.
sloaneamps

Closed Back XF 212

#1 Post by sloaneamps »

Would tolex to tolex be adequate to make the cab air tight. The reason I ask is that I am contemplating modifying the design to have one large piece for the back panel screwed on to battens. The reason for this is that it would make tolexing the the rear panel less difficult. The tolex would wrap over the battens on the cab and wrap about an inch or so on the inside part of the rear panel.

Bruce Weldy

Re: Closed Back XF 212

#2 Post by Bruce Weldy »

If you want it closed back, then just attach the back panel with glue and put the Tolex over it. That's how I built mine....I just used Duratex...
IMG_1502.JPG

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

sloaneamps

#3 Post by sloaneamps »

Did you use tolex? Also, how did you attach the grill ?

Bruce Weldy

#4 Post by Bruce Weldy »

sloaneamps wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:35 am Did you use tolex? Also, how did you attach the grill ?
No, that's duratex - I do all my cabs that way.

I just put some cleats on the inside corners of the cab as a stop.

The grill frame and cloth is a compression fit. Made the frame about 1/8" smaller than the inside opening. The grill cloth makes up the difference and creates a snug fit.
IMG_1496.JPG
IMG_1497.JPG

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

sloaneamps

#5 Post by sloaneamps »

I have used Durtex in the past but I stopped because customers ( not me) don't like it. So the I still pose the original question, will tolex on tolex create the air tight fit. Also, did you use a gasket around your jack plate?

Bruce Weldy

#6 Post by Bruce Weldy »

sloaneamps wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:52 pm I have used Durtex in the past but I stopped because customers ( not me) don't like it. So the I still pose the original question, will tolex on tolex create the air tight fit. Also, did you use a gasket around your jack plate?
Tolex on Tolex? Maybe......but I guess the question is - if you want a sealed back, then why are you making it removable? Just glue the back on as a single piece and cover over it....then it's airtight.

Unlike a PA speaker, I doubt you'd hear a whole lot of difference between a totally closed back and a closed back with a tiny leak around the Tolex.

But, you can always use gasket tape between the back panel and the box. Just allow for it with the set back on your cleats.

Also, the convertible back option in the plans isn't air tight either.

Easiest is just using a single piece of ply for the back and save all the extra work unless the customer really demands that it be convertible.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

sloaneamps

#7 Post by sloaneamps »

In the plans it talks about airtight being important, maybe it is not? I usually like to secure the grill with screws from the inside and tolexing will be easier if the rear panel is removable. Adding the cleats is not much extra work so that is not an issue.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#8 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

The convertible back is airtight, if you gasket it well. No matter, it's not a bass cab, it's not a ported cab, so a slight leak won't affect anything.