mic'ing an XF210

Guitar cabs both you and your audience can hear better.
magtree

mic'ing an XF210

#1 Post by magtree » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:33 am

i'm finished with my XF210 project. Love the sound of it.

So I'm curious now how one would best mic the cabinet with and without the wooden speaker grille. Of course, i could just take the wooden grille frame off. Right now I have a Sennheiser e906 dangling down and hovering about 4 inches away from what i think is the center focus of the 2 speakers. I've taken a couple of recordings of it and it's not bad, but is there a better position?

I realize the answer depends partly on what kind of sound i want, but i generally put my mic on single speaker amps halfway between cone center and cone edge.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

Bruce Weldy

Re: mic'ing an XF210

#2 Post by Bruce Weldy » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:42 am

magtree wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:33 am
i'm finished with my XF210 project. Love the sound of it.

So I'm curious now how one would best mic the cabinet with and without the wooden speaker grille. Of course, i could just take the wooden grille frame off. Right now I have a Sennheiser e906 dangling down and hovering about 4 inches away from what i think is the center focus of the 2 speakers. I've taken a couple of recordings of it and it's not bad, but is there a better position?

I realize the answer depends partly on what kind of sound i want, but i generally put my mic on single speaker amps halfway between cone center and cone edge.

Suggestions?

Thanks.
I'd suggest hanging it directly in front of one of the speakers. Since the driver is angled you don't have to worry as much about trying to hit the spot between the center and cone - the angle is doing that for you. Give that a try.

I've never miked my XF - I only take single 12 cabs when having PA support...

6 - T39 4-25" 2-22" 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512 Melded/NSD2005
1 - T24
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

Re: mic'ing an XF210

#3 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice » Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:21 pm

At close range you'll get a lot of different results based on placement across the sound field. The only way to find what you like best is via experimenting.