1/8 ply board shortage... sad but true

For unmatched sensitivity.
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
Starchild
Posts: 70
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:07 pm
Location: The Caribbean

1/8 ply board shortage... sad but true

#1 Post by Starchild » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:26 am

Hey guys a little problem on my side of the planet, Completing 2 DR280s and reached the "Back Halves" stage and guess what? There is a shortage of 1/8 Ply Board in the country :wall: (Lucky me). Question, I saw a material called "Hardboard" same thickness, would it work in the cabinets? :fingers: I will post a link to provide a visual https://www.homedepot.com/p/Dimensions- ... /206120948

Thanks in advance

88h88
Posts: 1596
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:20 am
Location: Coventry, UK

Re: 1/8 ply board shortage... sad but true

#2 Post by 88h88 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:53 am

That's basically sawdust held together with glue so isn't going to be able to bend like 1/8 ply would unfortunately.
4xOT12s, 2xT39s@22", TTLS@18", 2xT60@18"

User avatar
Starchild
Posts: 70
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:07 pm
Location: The Caribbean

Re: 1/8 ply board shortage... sad but true

#3 Post by Starchild » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:57 am

88h88 wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:53 am
That's basically sawdust held together with glue so isn't going to be able to bend like 1/8 ply would unfortunately.
Actually you can roll it up like a cylinder, very flexible

User avatar
Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin
Posts: 26843
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 5:59 pm

Re: 1/8 ply board shortage... sad but true

#4 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:10 am

If it can be bent to the required radius it should be fine. I doubt it has the puncture resistance of birch plywood, so do the full length sides and back overlay option.

User avatar
Starchild
Posts: 70
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:07 pm
Location: The Caribbean

Re: 1/8 ply board shortage... sad but true

#5 Post by Starchild » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:39 am

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:10 am
If it can be bent to the required radius it should be fine. I doubt it has the puncture resistance of birch plywood, so do the full length sides and back overlay option.
Full length sides and back overlay was what I was planning to do so it's a go!

Thanks again Bill :cowboy:

User avatar
Rick Lee
Posts: 1231
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm
Location: Tullahoma, Tennessee

Re: 1/8 ply board shortage... sad but true

#6 Post by Rick Lee » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:10 pm

These work very well. Easier than sheet material. Durable. It's all I ever use for DR's
https://www.homedepot.com/p/SAKRETE-12- ... /100324386
Authorized Builder
Nashville/Middle Tennessee

bwtaudio@gmail.com

88h88
Posts: 1596
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:20 am
Location: Coventry, UK

Re: 1/8 ply board shortage... sad but true

#7 Post by 88h88 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:54 am

Starchild wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:57 am
88h88 wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:53 am
That's basically sawdust held together with glue so isn't going to be able to bend like 1/8 ply would unfortunately.
Actually you can roll it up like a cylinder, very flexible
huh, I stand corrected. Must be a different thing over here.
4xOT12s, 2xT39s@22", TTLS@18", 2xT60@18"

Post Reply