Limiter Settings - Advanced

Got speaker theory questions? This is where you'll find the answers.
Greg Plouvier

Re: Limiter Settings - Advanced

#16 Post by Greg Plouvier »

A little advice on limiting monitors - many artists and monitor engineers can hear limiting and will not accept it. Of course it depends on what kind of shows you do, clientele , etc. I run some pretty good limiting on my drum fill which really only hits on the kick drum and very slight on the other wedges - unless someone wants a lot of kick or something potentially destructive in their wedge. I don't think you can preset your mon limiting as conditions/requirements will vary. Vocal monitor limiting needs to be transparent or nonexistent - keep your thresholds at 0 or above.
Greg Plouvier
http://www.magnumcaseworks.com
Protective casing, speaker cabinets, Colorado BF builder, A/V installation, sales, live sound

ALAZDAK

#17 Post by ALAZDAK »

many artists and monitor engineers can hear limiting and will not accept it
What?
Do they think blown woofers sound better?
it depends on what kind of shows you do, clientele , etc.
Speakers' mechanical and thermal limitations depend on none of these things.
unless someone wants a lot of kick or something potentially destructive in their wedge
...In which case one should eq out the mud and boost 1kHz, 6kHz, and 8kHz. That is, of course, in addition to high-pass filtering, limiting, and some compression.
I run some pretty good limiting on my drum fill which really only hits on the kick drum and very slight on the other wedges
This is what compression was designed for and is not a proper application of a hard-knee limiter.
Vocal monitor limiting needs to be transparent or nonexistent
Limiters are transparent until they 'kick,' at which point you want them to do so.

Built
6 x T60 (20" LAB12)
4 x J12 (3012HO)
1 x T48 (36" 3015LF)

Considering
4 x DR280

DJPhatman

#18 Post by DJPhatman »

Zombie. Thread. Resurrection.

ALAZDAK, this thread is over 3 years old!

I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

Bruce Weldy

#19 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Alazdak,

It's normal for new folks to start digging through the forum and discovering hours of info in the different threads. But, if you don't mind - before posting, check the dates......this thread is over 3 years old. :shock:

It just keeps thing a little cleaner. If there is something you see in an old thread that you want to discuss - start a new topic. Then it will be fresh and people won't have to dig through pages of an old thread to see what it's all about.

Welcome aboard.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."