Got a few minutes to kill?

Got speaker theory questions? This is where you'll find the answers.
himhimself

Got a few minutes to kill?

#1 Post by himhimself »

Hi all,
Thought I'd pass this along: Any of you ever listen to/watch Rick Beato? He has a youtube series called What Makes this Song Great? I love listening to him break down songs, soloing little things that you may have never noticed even though you've listened to the tune a thousand times. Google his list, there are tons of tunes that he has analyzed so you're sure to find at least a few that are interesting to you. I'd recommend his review of Electric Sunrise by Plini, one of my favorite guitarists. Great introduction to either (or both) if you're unfamiliar.
2xT30 (20", 3012LF)
2xT30 (21", 3012LF)
4xOtop J-array (Beta12, melded/straight piezos)
Truck Tuba (MCM)
Next up: 2xJack12 or family of table tubas

Bruce Weldy

Re: Got a few minutes to kill?

#2 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Don't fall for this...... a few minutes to kill? Ha! More like a few hours. Don't let him suck you in.....you'll miss lunch and your nap....your wife will be screaming at you for not doing your chores...... a few minutes, my ass......

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

himhimself

#3 Post by himhimself »

Bruce, am I sensing a self control issue?!? :conf:
It is fun listening to someone as passionate and excited about music as Rick is.
2xT30 (20", 3012LF)
2xT30 (21", 3012LF)
Truck Tuba (MCM)

Bruce Weldy

#4 Post by Bruce Weldy »

himhimself wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:47 pm Bruce, am I sensing a self control issue?!? :conf:
It is fun listening to someone as passionate and excited about music as Rick is.
It's like watching Tommy Emmanuel videos for the first time....two hours later you realize you've watched him play Classical Gas five times on five different videos and you are hoping there's one you haven't seen yet....

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Grant Bunter

#5 Post by Grant Bunter »

Bruce Weldy wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:05 pm
himhimself wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:47 pm Bruce, am I sensing a self control issue?!? :conf:
It's like watching Tommy Emmanuel videos for the first time....two hours later you realize you've watched him play Classical Gas five times on five different videos and you are hoping there's one you haven't seen yet....
I used to watch Tommy and his brother Phil Sunday afternoons whenever I could, about 15 mins from where I lived at that time, in the 80's.
Spoilt...
Last edited by Grant Bunter on Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Bruce Weldy

#6 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Grant Bunter wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:57 pm
Bruce Weldy wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:05 pm
I used to watch Tommy and his brother Phil Sunday afternoons whenever I could, about 15 mins form where I lived at that time, in the 80's.
Spoilt...
And you probably had no idea just how big he would become. I had the same thing happen with George Strait. When the band I was in had the rare night off, we'd sometimes go see The Ace In The Hole Band.

They played the smaller clubs and had a singer named George who had some classes at the University in San Marcos with the keyboard player in our band. Kinda' worked out ok for him....

His steel player, Mike Daily, who has been with George since the beginning - still lives in San Marcos and plays steel with the band I mix all the time (when he's not out with GS).

Kinda' cool when small town guys turn into superstars.....

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

Grant Bunter

#7 Post by Grant Bunter »

Bruce Weldy wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:05 am And you probably had no idea just how big he would become.
I had a pretty good idea by that stage, had seen him out playing heaps all over the place.

One gig he used to do quite a lot was pretty much a pro muso’s jam most nights of the week in the more sordid part of Sydney town (Kings Cross) starting around midnight. He would play whatever, drums, bass, guitar, keys, sax. He was more than proficient at the rest, but there has always been something special about his guitar playing.

Cool stories about GS Bruce, thanks...
Built:

Grant Bunter

#8 Post by Grant Bunter »

Oh, in the early 90’s, he was a solo support for the Australian leg of the John Denver tour.
Just Tommy and his guitar, first show of the tour.

Tommy did his hour, John walked out with his usual sincerity, and said “I’ve just walked out with my whole band, but I feel totally inadequate after watching Tommy from the wings. Wow”.

Of course John wasn’t to shabby either...
Built:

Grant Bunter

#9 Post by Grant Bunter »

Now I’m gonna have to check out this other guy lol...
Built:

Bruce Weldy

#10 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Grant Bunter wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:23 am Now I’m gonna have to check out this other guy lol...
You don't really watch this guy for his playing, although he's accomplished, but rather his Top 20 lists, etc......plus, I watched his rant on fair use.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

himhimself

#11 Post by himhimself »

Grant Bunter wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:14 am
Bruce Weldy wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:05 am And you probably had no idea just how big he would become.
I had a pretty good idea by that stage, had seen him out playing heaps all over the place.

One gig he used to do quite a lot was pretty much a pro muso’s jam most nights of the week in the more sordid part of Sydney town (Kings Cross) starting around midnight. He would play whatever, drums, bass, guitar, keys, sax. He was more than proficient at the rest, but there has always been something special about his guitar playing.

Cool stories about GS Bruce, thanks...
Ha, haven't heard the term muso in ages. Ah, and the scene in Kings Cross... :-)
2xT30 (20", 3012LF)
2xT30 (21", 3012LF)
Truck Tuba (MCM)

Charles Jenkinson

#12 Post by Charles Jenkinson »

Thanks for the Tommy Emmanuel tip guys - I'd never heard of him. Oh my word. Stunning. A guy I follow on youtube called Charles Cornell is a good player and does a variety of music explanation, analysis and humorous accompaniment to people talking / acting out.
2xJ12L (3012HO) switchable/melded
2xT30

Words&graphics - Audio&Acoustics - Hardware&DSP; 3 different paradigms.

Bruce Weldy

#13 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Charles Jenkinson wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:55 am Thanks for the Tommy Emmanuel tip guys - I'd never heard of him. Oh my word. Stunning. A guy I follow on youtube called Charles Cornell is a good player and does a variety of music explanation, analysis and humorous accompaniment to people talking / acting out.
Tommy is one of those rare guys who you can tell just how much he loves what he's doing while he's doing it.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210