SLA PRO PA TOP For Announcing/Sound Effects, Sirens, etc

Got speaker theory questions? This is where you'll find the answers.
johnb11

SLA PRO PA TOP For Announcing/Sound Effects, Sirens, etc

#1 Post by johnb11 »

Ive been researching about for quality sounding public address systems, speakers, or PA bullhorns for my security camera systems.

The problem is there is very limited weatherproof self amplified/active speakers that have any clarity or power.

large PA Horns that are barely decent need to be amplified. They cost couple hundred bucks for an amplied tweeter in a horn, plus an amp, etc...

My thoughts were to build the SLA PRO PA TOPs and weatherproof them. Each camera will have one speaker. Single channel mono for a total of 10 cameras, (10 speakers).
Will the sound from one SLA PRO TOP speaker reach a similar distance as a single 50 pyle horn speaker link https://www.walmart.com/ip/PYLE-PHSP4-6 ... lerId=2605

Thx
R

Chris_Allen

Re: SLA PRO PA TOP For Announcing/Sound Effects, Sirens, etc

#2 Post by Chris_Allen »

Hi John,

You have multiple questions, so I'm just going to tackle a few to start with. What do you intend to play through the speakers? The SLA Pros are probably good down to about 120Hz for the 4 driver version, and I'm guessing at around 150Hz for the 2 driver version.

SPL drops by 6dB per doubling of distance, so if you know how much SPL you want at a given distance, we can work back from there.

The TLAH Pro with cheap drivers might be a better shape for weather sealing as well as being able to reduce the driver count to tailor the frequency response for the application.

Chris.
Built:
6xDR200, 2xT39, 2xT48, 2xJack110, 1xOmni10.5, 1xAutotuba, 1xT18, 1xSLA Pro, 1xW8, 1xW10

Bruce Weldy

Re: SLA PRO PA TOP For Announcing/Sound Effects, Sirens, etc

#3 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Chris_Allen wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:18 pm The SLA Pros are probably good down to about 120Hz for the 4 driver version, and I'm guessing at around 150Hz for the 2 driver version.

Considering that the speakers he referenced only go down to 500hz, I'd say anything would be a great improvement. But, it's also much easier to waterproof those little plastic horns. So, everything is a trade off....

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."