Line Array Curve Question

Got speaker theory questions? This is where you'll find the answers.
Doug Hart

Line Array Curve Question

#1 Post by Doug Hart »

All line arrays that I've seen are either: Straight, curved, or "J", where the bottom box covers the close listening area and the top box covers the back of the listening area.

What would be the result of doing a reverse curve on a line array.
Where the Bottom box throws to the back of the room and the top box is angled down to the front of the listening area.
Seems to me that it would reduce phase problems on the vertical plane AND reduce the need for power shading as the distance from the front listening area to the top box is increased.
Doug Hart, Owner
dB Pro Audio

a division of: Hart Designs Etc...
Authorized Builder
http://www.facebook.com/dbProAudio
http://www.hartdesignsetc.com

"The greatest tragedy is people who have sight, but no vision" - Hellen Keller

Sydney

Re: Line Array Curve Question

#2 Post by Sydney »

That inward concave would have maximum dispersion and interference overlap and would converge to a hot spot.
I have not seen it recommended

Syd

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#3 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Line arrays have a narrow vertical dispersion. A J array widens the vertical dispersion pattern to hit all of the audience. A concave array would make the vertical dispersion even narrower.

Turntablist

#4 Post by Turntablist »

ten8guitar wrote:What would be the result of doing a reverse curve on a line array..
Well, if you think about it the practical use narrows down quite fast if you'd make it work properly. Since the vertical dispertion gets wider the lower you go you can't mount the bottom cab that's facing the back of the room close to the audience because the highs would go right above then but they'd get the low mids straight in their faces. Also, if the bottom cab is close to the audience and you are using a concave array the top of the array would be angled down very hard to be able to hit the people in the front of the audience and the bigger the stack needs to be the harder the angle will be. So, the solution to solve both of the problems is to push the stack a fair bit back. But then the people on stage would be more on-axis with the bottom cab than before, a bottom cab that is now getting maximum input power, so the on stage noise would be higher..
Apart from that, it would look quite funky and you would be entering unexploited territory, so a lot of people would probably ask you a lot of questions aimed at your knowing and if you'd want help and tips about your concave array there's nowhere to get it..

Sorry if you feel like I'm beating you down.. I don't mean to.

I have thought about powershaded concave piezo arrays for the OTs and DRs though... Might be interresting for one cab usage.. Ah that's another topic..
-2 T48 3015LF
-2 DR250 2510 crossfired

Sydney

#5 Post by Sydney »

Video #7 Reflection from a concave surface
from
http://www.santafevisions.com/csf/demos/video/index.htm