XLR Pinout

Got speaker theory questions? This is where you'll find the answers.
Kenny Kaos

XLR Pinout

#1 Post by Kenny Kaos »

Rane has a source posted here for cable pin outs. I remember reading about a telescoping ground somewhere. The ground is only connected on one end. but it just seems weird. I don't think i have ever bought a cable wired this way. i have a cable tester, and the 3 pins always match.
my question.
Should i unhook Pin 1 only on one end of all my cables?
what kind of problems will i have on way or the other?
are all three required for phantom power? or a direct box?
Thanks.

Kenny Kaos

Re: XLR Pinout

#2 Post by Kenny Kaos »

another problem is some cables show all 3 lights when tested, but the shield light (4th light) turns on and off when wiggled.
is that a concern?

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#3 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Kenny Kaos wrote:Rane has a source posted here for cable pin outs. I remember reading about a telescoping ground somewhere. The ground is only connected on one end. but it just seems weird. .
It is weird. Properly built balanced gear doesn't need ground lifting. But not all gear is properly built.

Kenny Kaos

#4 Post by Kenny Kaos »

Then "Weird" it is. not broke don't fix.
Thanks Bill.

Greg Plouvier

#5 Post by Greg Plouvier »

The shield should remain connected on both ends. The ground which connects to the shell of the connector is generally left unconnected. All three are required to pass phantom. You shouldn't unhook pin 1 on either end where mic cables are concerned. Some people unhook the shield on the input end when wiring their drive lines - console to processor - processor to amps - or in their insert racks - not that often though. I guess the the thought is any noise that gets on the shield will drain back to the output instead of coming in at the input. I run everything shield continuous with no problems.
Sometimes when you get that 4 light it can mean a short to ground is happening when you wiggle the cable end...not always though
Greg Plouvier
http://www.magnumcaseworks.com
Protective casing, speaker cabinets, Colorado BF builder, A/V installation, sales, live sound

Kenny Kaos

#6 Post by Kenny Kaos »

Awesome. thanks for your help.