Speaker basics (woofer T/S, Crossover, Enclosures)

Got speaker theory questions? This is where you'll find the answers.
SeisTres

Speaker basics (woofer T/S, Crossover, Enclosures)

#1 Post by SeisTres »

This is a really good read for anyone trying to understand the they "why" and "how" of everything that makes up a loudspeaker. It covers some of the theory of acoustics and how it relates to speakers and then give examples. Good paper.

http://www.ht-audio.com/pages/SpeakerBasics.html
Built:6 t39, t18, 4 Jack10, 2 autotuba, 2 SLA,2 wedge, 2 TT, 2 Tritrix, curved sla, 2 otop212, 2 SLA pros, Ported 8" sub, 2 ported 210, dual ported 8" sub

Radian

Re: Speaker basics (woofer T/S, Crossover, Enclosures)

#2 Post by Radian »

SeisTres wrote:Good paper.
I beg to differ. There's a little more involved in the design process than that, and the paper doesn't even elaborate on any of the following for example:

Complex AC power

Simple harmonic motion and its derivatives

Basic AC circuit analysis

Learning is an ongoing process. Step up to the plate, swing your bat, and have some fun outside of the dugout. :cowboy:
Good food, good people, good times.

4 - AT
1 - TT
1 - THT Slim
2 - SLA Pro 4x6 Alphalite

SeisTres

Re: Speaker basics (woofer T/S, Crossover, Enclosures)

#3 Post by SeisTres »

Radian wrote:
SeisTres wrote:Good paper.
I beg to differ. There's a little more involved in the design process than that, and the paper doesn't even elaborate on any of the following for example:

Complex AC power

Learning is an ongoing process. Step up to the plate, swing your bat, and have some fun outside of the dugout. :cowboy:
Of course is doesn't go into that, I know it does no go in theory at all deep, it just glosses over it but it still does a good job for any beginner looking into loudspeaker design. I'm guessing the body of my post was misleading and got your hopes up with false expectations of hard cold numbers and formulas pertaining to the loudspeakers and acoustics. But is seems alot of users come wanting to know what in the world those T/S parameters mean and how they can use them to build better speakers. So for all those still there, I think that paper does a good job.

I just find it amusing how when I started learning about loudspeakers, alot of concepts mentioned were familiar from introductory physics and the formulas made sense and all, but whenever mentioned qts or dispersion, my eyes just glossed over :lol: (granted, they still do alot of times)

But thanks for the videos you posted :mrgreen:
Built:6 t39, t18, 4 Jack10, 2 autotuba, 2 SLA,2 wedge, 2 TT, 2 Tritrix, curved sla, 2 otop212, 2 SLA pros, Ported 8" sub, 2 ported 210, dual ported 8" sub