Evaluation essay

Got speaker theory questions? This is where you'll find the answers.
Rich4349

Evaluation essay

#1 Post by Rich4349 »

Bill, I have to write an evaluation essay for my English class and am planning on writing about FLH subwoofers being better (in most ways) than other designs. May I cite you and / or links to this site as a source?

Would the rest of you be willing to help me punch up my rough draft of the outline?
2 DR250s, 2 27" Lab15 T-60s, 2 30" Neo Titan 39s, 1 Autotuba...and looking for more!

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

Re: Evaluation essay

#2 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Certainly. This is it in a nutshell, though as simple as it is English majors will still exhibit a thousand yard stare two sentences in. :shock:
viewtopic.php?f=10&p=289663#p289663

Rich4349

#3 Post by Rich4349 »

Thanks so much!
Yeah, I couldn't remember the stated percents of efficiencies for direct radiators vs horns, so I did a search and that page was the second in the results. I actually wrote most of this WITHOUT looking at the sales page(s), though it sounds like I'm on the payroll! :lol:

Any and all constructive criticism will be welcomed. Sentence fragments should be ok in an outline. The intro and conclusion need punching up and fleshing out.

Idk if the formatting will hold up going from Word to the forum, but here it goes:

Why front loaded horn design speakers are better than other designs
1 Introduction
Have you ever been at a big party or at a bar where they were playing loud music for a big crowd, when the speakers blew or the sound system tripped a circuit breaker, interrupting or even ending the event? Front loaded horn subwoofer speakers have better sound quality, can easily play louder, and use less power, albeit in a larger sized, more complicated design. An additional benefit for people with basic woodworking skills and tools is the fact that they can be built at home for a fraction of the price of commercially equivalent products.
2 sound quality
A less distortion
1 less driver excursion from lower power needs
2 filtering nature of a folded horn
B a horn is an impedance transformer (matcher)
3 lower power requirements
A 30% efficiency vs 2% for industry std direct radiator designs
B require lower powered, less expensive amplifiers
4 very competitive price to build
A affordable drivers
1 not exotic
2 not large , 15” and under
B affordable speaker construction materials
1 not exotic, usually available locally
2 only a small amount of extra lumber
C No labor costs, only time
5 drawbacks
A harder to build correctly
1 requires basic power tools
2 no freelancing: follow the plans
3 glued joints must be airtight

B size
1 as much as 8x larger than widespread direct radiator designs
2 can be partially compensated by design dimension variances
C power limiting
1 drawback
a added expense
1 need amp with a limiter
2 or need a separate limiter
b actually a benefit
1 protects driver from over excursion ("burning out")
2 allows maximum use of drivers without under or over powering

7 conclusion
Front loaded horn speakers may be larger and harder to build than standard direct radiator speakers, but they sound much better, use much less power, and can most often play louder. The added burden is having to follow the plans very closely, needing to know how to use basic woodshop power tools, and needing the ability to limit the power given to them. If these reasonable requirements are met, a front loaded horn subwoofer will provide high quality, low cost, and powerful music for parties and other musical events.
2 DR250s, 2 27" Lab15 T-60s, 2 30" Neo Titan 39s, 1 Autotuba...and looking for more!

ACUA

#4 Post by ACUA »

Nice try buddy but you will be writing your own English paper.
Advanced Concepts Underground Audio

Rich4349

#5 Post by Rich4349 »

Lol I am. (Notice the outline? 😆)