DEQ 2496 Basics

EQ guys are using on their cabs/systems. A good starting place if you don't have your own RTA.
CBIERN

DEQ 2496 Basics

#1 Post by CBIERN »

Trying to get up to speed with a new DEQ and since the manual is not the most helpful I went hunting on Google. Anyone found any better tutorials than these which are aimed at hi-fi rather than pro audio?
Anyone found useful info on the dynamics processing or other modules of the DEQ?

http://forums.audioreview.com/general-a ... 16568.html
http://www.decdun.me.uk/deq2496.html
2X Tuba 24 HL10c
2X Omni 12
2X DR 250
Omni 10
6X Wedgehorn 6
2X Jack 10

SoundInMotionDJ

Re: DEQ 2496 Basics

#2 Post by SoundInMotionDJ »

Some things are "hard" and any amount of "simplification" leaves out "essential" details and knowledge.

Small room acoustics is "hard." Nothing will change that.

Frankly, the DEQ manual is reasonably well written and describes in detail "what" the various effects can do. The "how" those effects should be used is left as an exercise to the reader. Again...understanding "how" to setup small room acoustics is "hard".

Put in the time, learn the fundamentals, and then apply them. I know of no shortcut to that knowledge...at least none that do not leave out essential information.

--Stan Graves
10 T39S + 10 DR200 + 1 T48

MissileCrisis

Re: DEQ 2496 Basics

#3 Post by MissileCrisis »

First thing, adjust placement and see what gives you the best room response. I do this with rew (room equalization) wizard but your deq is better. Then run auto rta, not sure what the setting is but it can't be that buried in menus. Then use the page trick to even out the sound to your liking. Eq is 5 times more noticeable than say dynamics processing and delay. One easy way to guess the time delay for a horn subwoofer is to take the path length of the horn and imagine the sub was that far away from where it is, delay the tops accordingly.
Built
2 x TLAH
1 Titan 39 (lab 12, 15 inch)
1 Tuba 60 (lab 12, 20 inch)
SLA Center
2 x Mini MLTP subwoofers
1 x 212 TH (custom)
2 x Mini-Karlsonators
Owned, but not built
2 x Jack 12 (2512, melded)